Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:19:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2018 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2018  (Read 20068 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

on: March 14, 2018, 11:55:45 AM

New year, new QBs everywhere....

Free agency is upon us which means the off-season has begun.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 09:01:40 PM

Seahawks gonna go 6-10. Should be able to squeeze past Arizona for 3rd place in the NFC West.

I knew this rebuild was going to come eventually, which is why I am eternally bitter at Darrell Bevell and Tom Cable for wasting the best years of the defense with the abortion of an offensive line they kept running out there year after year. And also for throwing a goddamned slant from the 1 yard line in the Super Bowl...

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 07:07:49 AM

And all the joy of anticipation Cleveland was starting to accumulate suddenly went full stop...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/joe-thomas-announces-retirement-leaves-gaping-hole-on-browns-offensive-line/

After taking roughly two months to think things over, Browns offensive lineman Joe Thomas has decided to retire.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 08:25:59 AM

This has been the craziest NFL free agency I've seen in a while, and almost none of it has come from Dan Snyder.

Kirk Cousins to Minnesota is a good fit. He's not going to have to do too much to win there and I think he'll be an upgrade over Case Keenum. It's still Minnesota so I don't think they will break the curse but they will be the powerhouse team in the NFC North, especially if Rodgers gets killed again. Thanks to not having Jordy Nelson and the Ghost of Jimmy Graham's Past, I think there's a good chance not only does that happen, but we get to experience the joy of DESHONE KIZER starting under center. And our defense will still be a giant fail boat. Neither Detroit nor Chicago will be all that good unless something major changes.

Denver having to settle for Case Keenum is all sorts of  awesome, for real Not that he won't be better than the idiots they trotted out there last year IN THEORY, though in practice I've adopted a wait and see attitude. Sam Bradford and Mike Glennon will apparently shepherd the Arizona Cardinals back into abject incompetence just in time to see Larry Fitzgerald retire next year without the ring he deserves. KC is a wild card because Andy Reid has a knack for getting good QB play out of nothing but then he also traded Donovan McNabb to usher in the era of KEVIN KOLB. I have no idea what to make of the Re-Gruden-ed Raiders.

I do know with all the QB shuffling that has gone on so far, and all the teams who still need a QB and have extra draft picks, the NFL draft will be a goddamn whirlwind of trades. A fuckload of teams will be falling all over themselves to try to get into the top 5.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 01:31:40 PM

It seems like all of the teams have a "decent" backup plan that could end up beating out any of these 5 young stud QBs (for a while, at least).  I would not be surprised to see trades and see 5 QBs in the first 6 picks, or to see only 2 go in the first 6 with minimal trading...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 06:53:56 PM

I, for one, am completely burnt out of draft news/mocks/shit talking. Really starting to feel the whole 'pushing the draft to later in the year so we have NFL in the news all the time' is not doing them any good anymore. I'm going to be tuning out earlier next year because this is just tiring.

*fun note, taking all the mock drafts from march till now, sees the Browns taking each of the top 5 quarterbacks, Chubb, Barkley, and Nelson no.1. At this point, why bother putting out a mock?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 08:52:48 PM

Page views.  why so serious?

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 10:24:50 AM

Truth.

I saw a mock I enjoyed with the Giants trading down from 2 to 3 (Jets want their QB), 3 to 5 (Denver steps ahead of Cleveland to get Barkley), 5 to 12 (Buffalo want their QB) and ends up turning the 2nd overall pick into 3 first round picks, 3 second round picks and a third round pick (spread over 2 years) - Giving them 13 picks in the first 3 rounds in 2018 and 19.  They are able to execute a massive rebuild in a short time.  In that draft, they even got Mayfield at 12, although he seems to be rising up the boards and I don't expect him to last that long.  I'm not a Giants fan, but that would be an interesting story to see unfold. 

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 02:00:04 PM

Dez Bryant may be going to the Giants to be their #2 receiver.  Interesting pairing with him and Odell Beckham.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 02:44:05 PM

Dez is one of those players who was overrated not because of talent but because he never quite became the dominant receiver everyone expected. Early years it was maturity issues, his middle years were because the Cowboys SUCKED IT hard and his QB was always fucking hurt, leading to him being a good receiver on a bad team catching passes from the scrubs of the scrubs. Injuries have hit him pretty hard the last few years, as well as the Cowboys turning into a run first team. If he could stay healthy, I'm sure he'd improve the Giants provided they actually find an O-line. Also, to see him get revenge on JERRAH would be fun.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 02:40:12 PM

Hate: NE
Respect: Philly, LAR, GB, Minnesota, Atlanta, NO, Pitt
Intriguing: Dallas, SF, Seattle, Carolina, Jax, Tex, KC, Tenn, Indy, Cleveland, LAC
Boring: NYG, Washington, Chicago, Det, TB, Buffalo, Den, Las Vegas, Cinci, Balt
Nothing but Pity: Miami, NYJ, Zona

Which teams are in the wrong bucket?

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 06:16:18 PM

Cleveland is only intriguing if you're wondering whether it's possible for an NFL team to get only 1 win in 3 years.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 11:47:19 AM

Cleveland is only intriguing if you're wondering whether it's possible for an NFL team to get only 1 win in 3 years.
I disagree.  Gordon, Taylor and those 2 early picks are interesting storylines for me...  This is a team that has been on the hub of turning things around for 20 years... but this could be the year.

QB: #1 overall pick + Taylor (who is coming out of Buffalo, someplace historically hard to throw in... should perform better in Cleveland than Buffalo, and was ok in Buffalo)
RB: Might be amazing if they get Barkley, good if they go with one of the RB options at the start of 2... but Hyde and Duke are serviceable without drafting a RB.
WR: Gordon, Coleman and Landry are a good trio.  They lack depth, but I expect they'll have a day 2 WR selection and might sign a Decker, Maclin, Marshall, Coleman, Inman, etc...   Heck, they have enough money to spend on Dez if he goes for money in the end after his pride calms down (not s stud anymore, but still very useful).  Gordon, Dez, Landry and Coleman (and Njoku)....  not bad.  
TE: Njoku showed promise... average TE option at worst.  However, I think they need more blocking TE help as their tackles are weak.
O-line: Took a hit with the loss of Thomas, but the interior looks solid.  I expect they'll address OT(s) somehow between now and camp, but expect they'll be supported by the TEs a lot through the season.  

Offensive Outlook - I expect them to be in the top half of the league in scoring.

Pass rush - This will be between good and outstanding (if they take Chubb).  If you have an outstanding DLine, it can make up for a lot of other deficits in the passing game defense.
LBs - For once, they have an LB corps, not LB corpses.
Backfield - They have gaps to fill, but the pass rush should make them better.

Defensive Outlook - They can't compete with the great offenses, but should look pretty good against average and poor offenses.

Someone offered me 100 to 1 bet on the Browns winning the Superbowl.  I put in for $20 (payoff would be $2000 to me if they win it).  I don't consider it likely (I already paid the $20), but I think the odds are much better than 1 in 100.   I believe in Huge Action based upon pre-Cleveland performance and I think they have enough draft capital to fix their problems.  I dislike their early schedule, and expect them to struggle early in the season, but they could have a SF-like end of the Season after their bye.  They could win 5 of their last 6 games (but might be 1-9 at the bye due to the hard schedule, but if they are hot at the start of the season, I'd expect them to be a playoff team).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 11:02:11 AM by jgsugden »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 12:16:44 PM

I don't expect Cleveland to have a winning season this year, but I do think based on their acquisitions so far that they will get close. Landry is a goodamn stud at WR and Gordon still has talent. Taylor is a better QB than Buffalo ever gave him credit for and he's likely better than anyone that played the position for Cleveland last year.

Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 06:43:34 PM

I... I have no idea how to feel about this draft round. On paper, Johnny Mayfield has been the best college QB stats-wise for the past two years, was a walk on at 2 different D1 schools and won the starting job at both...but...

And Ward... might have been a reach and they really should have taken Chubb there, but again, he was the best college corner and will be needed against the receivers in the division. Again, I can't really complain, but...

swamp poop

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 07:15:02 PM

I think Mayfield may well be on his way to being Manziel 2.0.

WayAbvPar

Reply #16 on: April 27, 2018, 07:20:09 AM

I feel sorry for the Browns, but it will be fun to watch him fail. 4 QBs in the top 10 and none of them really deserved it. I will be surprised if more than 1 of them is starting in 5 years.

Also- I actually love Seattle's pick. That kid is a beast.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #17 on: April 27, 2018, 08:36:32 AM

Josh Rosen may actually have a chance in Arizona, and the closet racist in Buffalo could also do well. A USC QB in New York and a loudmouth in Cleveland? Yeah, those are going to go about as you'd expect.

I'm happy with the fleecing Green Bay did of New Orleans to get a desperately needed (hopefully shut down) cornerback. Why the fuck New Orleans would essentially give up 2 first round picks (the one this year as well as next year's) for a pass rusher that wasn't the top graded guy is beyond me, but I'll take it.

Lamar Jackson getting taken by Baltimore was something to note - Joe Flacco better watch his back.

Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 27, 2018, 09:40:06 AM

I dunno about Mayfield. Johnny had an arrogance to him and the safety of his rich family to fall back on. Height may be an issue, may not. At least Baker is a throw first type where as Johnny was more a runner who might throw.

Browns drafted for need rather than best available which... if you are coming off this type of losing streak, I can understand.

WayAbvPar

Reply #19 on: April 27, 2018, 01:07:33 PM

They would have been better served adding more help, letting Tyrod Taylor win 3 games, letting Hue Jackson get fired into the sun, then finding a QB next season. Or at least drafting one on the 2nd or third day instead of reaching. Those high picks are just so incredibly valuable.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 28, 2018, 04:46:56 AM

The Mayfield/Manziel is an awful comparison.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 12:42:38 PM

WayAbvPar

Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 12:51:28 PM

That seems like an admittance of guilt in the Kaepernick collusion case, yes?

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 03:16:38 PM

The Mayfield/Manziel is an awful comparison.

Speaking of Johnny Football, he's now back in professional football...in the CFL. awesome, for real  Honestly, he should have been playing there in the first place and not in the NFL, not to mention having a 1st round pick wasted on him.  He might do ok since the CFL has history of smaller, more mobile QB's doing well, like Doug Flutie.  I'm sure marijuana being legalized in Canada later this year had nothing to do with his decision, either. Ohhhhh, I see.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/johnny-manziel-cfl-hamilton-1.4671344
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 24, 2018, 05:27:29 PM

No.  They're losing money from advertizers who get free press for making noise about not supporting a leagu that doen't support the anthem.  They have to take a stance for financial reasons, and it has to please everyone as much as possible.  This is very much like Don't Ask, Don't Tell.  You can do/be whatever so long asnobody sees it.

Personally, I doubt that any team that thought that Kaepernick would help them win a championship would pass on him because of the anthem.  The truth is that you hace to build around a Kaepernick style QBand nobody wanted to build around someone as unreliable as him.

Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 24, 2018, 05:35:24 PM

No.  They're losing money from advertizers who get free press for making noise about not supporting a leagu that doen't support the anthem.  They have to take a stance for financial reasons, and it has to please everyone as much as possible.  This is very much like Don't Ask, Don't Tell.  You can do/be whatever so long asnobody sees it.

Personally, I doubt that any team that thought that Kaepernick would help them win a championship would pass on him because of the anthem.  The truth is that you hace to build around a Kaepernick style QBand nobody wanted to build around someone as unreliable as him.

I think you are giving the owners (majority of old white guys) a huge discount. And considering the report just came out about how teams only really considered him starter quality... Besides, the bigger story is Eric Reid. Not a single reason he should be unemployed other than the gorilla in the mist.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #26 on: May 25, 2018, 06:13:52 AM

I absolutely think they colluded against Kaepernick, because he was a pain in the ass from a PR standpoint with a limited QB skillset. If he was some amazing talent like Aaron Rodgers, he would take a dump on the flag and at the very least the Bungles would pick him up.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #27 on: May 25, 2018, 08:55:33 AM

Kaepernick was easily a better football choice at QB for half the teams in the league last year and I say that without a hint of reservation. When Deshaun Watson went down, Kap would have been perfect of the offense they'd been building around Watson (a running QB). The Jags might actually have made the Super Bowl with him instead of Bortles even though Bortles played very un-Bortles like at times (and it wasn't his fault the Jags DC decided to play prevent defense against the QB made to defeat prevent D). Mariotta or Rodgers went down (which they did at various times this year)? Kap would have been much better than the backup options they went with during those times (he sure as fuck would have been better than Hundley).

No, he's not the sensation the football press tried to make him during the Harbaugh days in San Fran. But he sure as fuck should not have been unemployed last year for any football reasons. And Eric Reid not getting even a league minimum offer is just fucking moronic.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 28, 2018, 09:18:22 PM

I absolutely think they colluded against Kaepernick, because he was a pain in the ass from a PR standpoint with a limited QB skillset. If he was some amazing talent like Aaron Rodgers, he would take a dump on the flag and at the very least the Bungles would pick him up.
You think they colluded because he was unattractive for two reasons?  Huh?  I think you mean you don't think they colluded against him, right?   If there are a bunch of reasons not to sign him, they don't need to get together and agree not to sign him... they'll all just ecide on their ow not to do it.

Which team should have signed Kaepernick? Houston's owner would have been skewered for signing Kaepernick.  No need to collude for them to reach that decision.  What other team should have signed him? 

You have to have the right team around a player like Kaepernick to have success.  There are a lot of teams in the league that don't have the right players to do anything with Kaepernick as their QB other than watch him get hurt - which, btw, would be the best solution for the league if they were to collude against him.  Put him on he field and have a guy needing something from the league break Kaep's leg...  No protests, no black eye... 

As for Reid: He turned down contract offers, including one from the 49ers.  He thinks he is worth more money than the teams think he is worth.  Any player can be in that boot whether they're the best or worst in the league.  Teams don't want the disruption of the protest, but that probably has not made a huge difference in offers he might get.  Teams that want to win will sign him... for the right cost.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #29 on: May 29, 2018, 07:56:41 AM

Which team should have signed Kaepernick? Houston's owner would have been skewered for signing Kaepernick.  No need to collude for them to reach that decision.  What other team should have signed him? 

Houston's owner absolutely should have signed him when Watson got hurt but he is a racist old dirtbag, regardless of what his shithead racist fans would have thought. And they'd eventually even have not given a shit if he could have gotten them to the playoffs. Winning is a panacea for most anything.

Green Bay should have signed him when Rodgers went down. He was a better option than Hundley turned out to be and he can scramble like Rodgers (though not pass as well, he could at least run better than Rodgers). And since the Packers offense has been built on "we have no wideouts able to get separation so our offensive plan is to let Rodgers scramble for his life long enough for someone to get open" for years now, it couldn't have hurt.

Jacksonville would have been better with him than Bortles. Tennessee is built around a mobile QB and Mariotta has gone down with injuries every year. He would have been an upgrade over Tyrod Taylor in Buffalo though I'm not sure any running QB (or other QB) would have improved that team because they have no wideouts of note. I think Brandon Weedon had a job somewhere last season and I think I'm a better QB than he is. Cleveland could not have been any worse than they were last year with him. Miami isn't necessarily built around a running QB but part of Tannehill's worth has been in his ability to improvise and again, he'd have been better than the disinterested Jay Cutler. He's a better backup than anyone in Oakland, Seattle, every QB on the Jets, he could hardly have done worse than the combo of Siemian, Osweiller and Lynch in Denver. He couldn't have been much worse than Joe Flacco has been for years. Carolina is built around a running QB and Kap would have been a better backup than whoever even though Newton wasn't hurt last year.

So with just a little thought, I can name a number of teams he'd have improved. 6 weeks after the team had signed him, almost none of the fans would have given a shit unless they lost every game. And based on some of those teams, that wouldn't have been any different than before.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #30 on: May 29, 2018, 10:12:42 AM

You think they colluded because he was unattractive for two reasons?  Huh?  I think you mean you don't think they colluded against him, right?   If there are a bunch of reasons not to sign him, they don't need to get together and agree not to sign him... they'll all just ecide on their ow not to do it.

No I think they all looked at each other and collectively agreed that his talent didn't outweigh his PR hit. However, his talent was better than some of the other QBs getting signed.

My stance has always been I don't think he's AS valuable as people made him out to be, but if he was just a normal guy who said nothing he would most likely still be playing in the league. Which goes to show you that standing up for something as an athlete doesn't pay, and I have no idea why they think they should. Most likely they are being pressured by outside sources, but even if I was severely convicted about an issue, I would never try to make it an issue during my work format.

That's the issue with what the players are trying to do. I have absolutely no problem with their agenda. I think that black members of society are oppressed by police forces who don't trust them and are looking to make them targets. I'm in favor of the political pressures and restraints that should be put in place on those police and DAs to hold police accountable for their actions.

But the method they went about trying to publicize the issue was disastrous method because they pitted the American ye-haw patriotism against their issue in a post-911 society. It cost Kaep his job, and it's going to cost the players if they try to keep doing it because the NFL knows it's a business who wants nothing to do with controversial issues on the field.

There were thousands of better says to handle this on both sides. That's the whole thing that makes me shake my head on this issue. I think if we all went back in time and looked at what happened, without the entrenched mentality of not giving an inch we're currently living it? I think everybody involved would do it differently (even if right now they'd never admit it).

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #31 on: May 29, 2018, 11:45:09 AM

For the most part, the whole anthem controversy had died down until Trump stuck his little micro dick into the situation, at which point the mainstream media had a controversy hard on so large, most of them passed out from the pleasure.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #32 on: May 29, 2018, 12:23:17 PM

For the most part, the whole anthem controversy had died down until Trump stuck his little micro dick into the situation, at which point the mainstream media had a controversy hard on so large, most of them passed out from the pleasure.

Totally, that and the NFL owners getting together in meetings and bandying about rules.

The rule should be as follows: We're going to do the anthem 20 minutes before games when the players aren't on the field. Thanks for you time. No more questions.

But that would be too easy and we're talking about a league that invented the catch rules we have to live with right now.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #33 on: May 29, 2018, 01:10:32 PM

Ideally, they shouldn't play the anthem at all.  It makes no real sense why we're still saluting the flag right before watching gigantic people give each our traumatic brain injuries.
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 29, 2018, 01:50:56 PM

Ideally, they shouldn't play the anthem at all.  It makes no real sense why we're still saluting the flag right before watching gigantic people give each our traumatic brain injuries.

$$$$$$$$$

Military had an advertising budget to burn through... what better way than to push some money into the old rich white men's pockets?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2018  
Jump to: