Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:45:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: RIP Steven Hawking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Steven Hawking  (Read 10183 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

on: March 13, 2018, 08:48:18 PM

His fame probably outdid his actual work in the latter part of his career, but he paved the way for a lot of high level physics (most of which I still don't understand) to make its way to a mainstream audience from his books and those that followed his model.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 08:51:42 PM

Heartbreak

Amazing run for someone with ALS. Definitely paved the way for tons of new ideas. RIP.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 08:51:54 PM

Heartbreak

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 09:20:43 PM

I always hoped we could have found a cure.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 10:00:05 PM

This was just drawn and tweeted by artist Mitchell Toy.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 12:50:06 AM

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 06:02:08 AM

Celebrities dying doesn't bother me much. Brilliant minds dying does.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 06:21:22 AM

Heartbreak

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 06:43:41 AM

Especially at a time when we desperately need them.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 07:50:43 AM

cry

Fuck.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 09:48:45 AM

Especially at a time when we desperately need them.
I get why you're saying this, but we really always need them. I actually feel guilty because I don't have kids, not that intelligent parents are any guarantee of intelligent kids. But still. I work with the public. I see things.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 07:21:53 PM

Died on 3.14. Fitting really. Saw this photo on a tweet from Scientific american and I thought it was very sweet. Article is pretty good too.

https://twitter.com/sciam/status/974087866216312832

Hic sunt dracones.
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 07:27:32 AM

He lived 55 years after doctors gave him 2 years to live.

If that isn't a cosmic FUCK YOU to the universe I don't know what is.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 09:57:41 AM

He lived 55 years after doctors gave him 2 years to live.

If that isn't a cosmic FUCK YOU to the universe I don't know what is.

My father has been living with ALS for 5+ years now.  He can't walk, feed himself or go to the bathroom on his own but he's still around.  It's an awful condition that robs you of your independence and, often, dignity.  Seeing how long Hawking lived with it is comforting in a way because I know it doesn't necessarily have to mean death in a short period of time.  Most the people you hear of that die quickly after being diagnosed (1-2 years after diagnosis) it usually effects their breathing and has a more pronounced effect on the inner parts of their body.  For my father, and I suspect Hawking too, the effects were more in his outer extremities (legs and arms).  He gets regular tests for his breathing and thankfully it's still normal.

ALS is a horrible, horrible condition and the fact Stephen Hawking did so much while suffering from it makes him even more remarkable.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14 on: March 17, 2018, 10:32:00 AM

ALS behaves differently when you get it young like Hawking did. His condition was also extremely unusual in that his ALS essentially reached an equilibrium of sorts where it stopped getting worse. I.e. his motor neuron degeneration from the disease either stopped or slowed down enough to be offset by his natural regeneration. Hawking did have a tracheostomy so your father is lucky in that regard.
WayAbvPar

Reply #15 on: March 17, 2018, 01:00:15 PM

ALS scares me more than cancer. I can't even begin to imagine dying that way.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #16 on: March 17, 2018, 01:09:45 PM

A guy I used to work with's father had ALS. In fact he and Steven Hawking were the longest surviving sufferers at the time and used to meet regularly. It's an utterly horrible fae and I wouldn't even wish it on a Trump.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: RIP Steven Hawking  
Jump to: