Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:25:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Division 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Division 2  (Read 38352 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #70 on: March 12, 2019, 07:13:06 PM

I really think he has a point. In fact, I agree with him wholeheartedly.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #71 on: March 12, 2019, 09:50:41 PM

Game has been rock-solid for me.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #72 on: March 13, 2019, 02:26:26 AM

whoa, whoa....I've started playing this: beside the current, silly amount of crashes, I'm quite overwhelmed. So much stuff to look at, loot, explore. Quite a lot of content right off the bat, IMO. Anthem simply pales in comparison (and yeah, it's only "take one" on the genre for Bioware, but really it's an embarassment now that you can compare the two).

What are you on about? Can we not start the comparisons...

Let me explain a bit more in detail:

- Anthem undoubtedly has more evocative landscapes: impressive ruins, lush forests, they really nailed the big, "alien world"  mark. I love it.

On the other hand, I'm impressed by the attention to details that Ubi put on the ruined landscape of D.C. The rubble, the broken furniture, every object seems that it *belongs* there. Actually, there's even TOO much of all that: it almost overwhelms you and you almost feel fatigued by looking at all that stuff while, at the same time, you're on the lookout for lootable containers.

- Anthem, on paper, is "funnier" at its core when it comes to the pure combat/shooting sessions (almost there once more bugs are squashed and more balance is achieved), I prefer it to TD2: TD2 is ye olde cover shooter, still with an impeccable (at least in its initial form) execution. It shows that these are Devs who are on their "take two" on the genre, no matter the whole other side of the coin when it comes to monetization, cash grabs and whatnot.

- IMO, UI and HUD are better in TD2, at the moment.

- The activities TD2 offers at release are more and better; Character customization is better, itemization, equipment customization (not talking about aesthetics, Anthem is gorgeous when you look at your Javelin) is better.

- Hubs/Safe zones: I actually enjoy Fort Tarsis, and I hope Anthem devs push the envelope a bit on that. They played too safe. TD2 potential is better at the moment with the improvement possibilities etc., but I'm still at the beginning stages.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Strazos

Reply #73 on: March 13, 2019, 09:45:24 PM

As a DC resident, it's amusing to roll up streets that look familiar at times. Granted, the names of hotels and businesses are not the same due to licensing and such, but they were clearly paying attention when building things out.

And they're clearly going to expand that map north at some point. They pretty much stop at I or K St NW (or maybe it's New York Ave NW?), but there would be plenty of things to include from the further reaches of the NW quadrant of the city, such as the National Zoo. Also, not sure if they go all the way out to the Pentagon yet (close enough to sensibly include), or perhaps they go south to include the airports and military bases.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: March 14, 2019, 01:38:48 AM

Yes, Pentagon area/building (They call it "Pentagon: The Last Castle") will be explorable later this year (episode 2 of the "Year 1" pass).
-----------------
By the way, I'm sure that the usual feeling of repetitiveness will creep in as I play more and the "honeymoon" comes to an end: recognizing enemy AI patterns, dynamic events playing out almost the same way etc. but the core gameplay is pretty solid and varied enough.

Yesterday I finished the first "real" mission at the Grand Washington Hotel (solo), and the shooutouts were pretty intense and rewarding (not as much as loot goes, for now, since I'm only lv3 :P). AI is not entirely brain-dead either. Personally, yep, I took a risk in purchasing this immediately, but I think that it's safe to say that it can be considered a solid Day 1 purchase if you like the genre.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 01:47:19 AM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Strazos

Reply #75 on: March 17, 2019, 10:54:27 AM

The game has been solid - no performance issues, no client or server crashes. Sometimes the movement gets a bit wonky when trying to get on or off of a piece of cover quickly (ie - when melee enemies charge in unexpectedly), but it's forgivable and largely chalked up to user error.

I do wish, however, that more of the buildings were open for exploration. For instance, most of the State Department building is closed off (though a fictional piece of it serves as a safe house), and it even has a sign out front saying it's a catholic church (?!). There were just certain details they seemed to have purposely gotten wrong for no reason, but 99% of users will not notice.

Fear the Backstab!
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: March 17, 2019, 11:26:27 AM

Performance wise, beside some bugs they still have to iron out, the only problem I met is frequent crashes when playing with Direct X 12 turned on. When DX11 is enabled, game is much more stable.

Oh, since I never played it, I found a deal and purchased The Division 1 gold edition for only € 9  awesome, for real . I'm just at the beginning, but it's interesting to notice the difference approach to the "newbie" experience: D2 really feels like an "advanced version" (and more difficult) in every aspect, and I like it (graphically wise, D2 feels better to me but oh NY, you're so pretty during winter  Heart).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 11:28:26 AM by Lucas »

lesion

Reply #77 on: March 19, 2019, 07:21:08 PM

They really kept the attention to detail strong which is great, and little things like having to shoot locks from weird vantage points to get into certain places is a nice touch. Exploration feels a bit more rewarding and the collectibles aren't barfed up on the map like in D1.

The biggest problem I've seen so far is having a party of angry assholes spawn directly on your face if you're in the "wrong" cover position and proceed to gun-fuck the player almost instantly. But damn, minor frustration in a sea of solid rooty tooty loot-n-shooty.

Having finished Anthem's campaign just before this launched I have no desire to go back to it even if flying is cool as hell. The loot/mod system is much more involved, hamster pellets are plentiful, and AI feels a bit improved so it's not a cakewalk. Plus motherfucking murder fashion out the wazoo.

steam|a grue \[T]/
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #78 on: March 21, 2019, 04:13:50 PM

Been playing it- it's good!

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #79 on: March 26, 2019, 12:21:51 AM

I do wish, however, that more of the buildings were open for exploration. For instance, most of the State Department building is closed off (though a fictional piece of it serves as a safe house), and it even has a sign out front saying it's a catholic church (?!). There were just certain details they seemed to have purposely gotten wrong for no reason, but 99% of users will not notice.

This was my biggest beef with the first one. The fidelity was -almost- there, but in a place like midtown Manhattan, the ability to enter more buildings would've been amazing.

That said, this is my daily driver right now. I've gotten to world tier 3 and the AI is frustrating as fuck. The flanking and variety of enemy tactics is making me play a lot smarter than I usually do.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: March 31, 2019, 02:18:40 AM

Well, I gave Anthem a month to get their shit together. Played slow, smelled the roses, heard all the NPC stories, explored all the things, and I still do enjoy the game setting immensely.

And now I can't play because I keep getting random dropouts from loading into the game because of some Pilot Data load error. Which apparently I'm not the only one.

So yeah, gonna give this a whirl. Do we have a clan yet?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: April 04, 2019, 11:01:48 AM

Yeah, I really regret the Anthem purchase now. I can't put Div 2 down, and BioWare appears to be falling apart.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #82 on: April 07, 2019, 11:42:12 PM

Having a blast with this. Rage quit yesterday after getting blinded, foamed, and set on fire all at the same time by some street mobs. Realized later that open world encounters can scale up to heroic if you do enough activities in the same area, and happened to stumble into the wrong place at the wrong time.

Things I like-
The AI is a LOT smarter. Super aggressive, flanking, even charging. No more sitting back, playing it safe and plinking them away 1 at a time.

A lot more to do in open world. Control points are the hubs, and all the little executions and convoys and such feed them. It is a pretty cool system.

Seems like a lot more total loot, and many items feel effective at top level.

Very pretty, with some amazing animations. I have had numerous laugh out loud moments when I touched off a grenade sack or landed an explosive at the right time. All kinds of rag doll fun.

Lots of cool nooks and crannies in the world, and shittons of little loot bags and crates everywhere.

Dislikes/Needs Improvement-
I want exotics. Lots of them. There are very few, and I haven't seen a single one other than the pre-order low level ones. Some are craftable, others drop in challenging + missions (I think), but they are seriously grindy to get.

Anything having to do with managing gear and inventory fucking sucks. Give me filters, show me possible sub-set combos with gear I own, let me sell it on the street...if you want to come even remotely close to optimizing with current gear you have to dig through SO MUCH SHIT. I would pay serious money for 3rd party solutions to all of this crap. It is just a goddamned slog.

No survival mode. Easily the best and most fun thing to do single player in TD1, and they left it out at launch. That is criminal .

The big tanky mobs are still WAY too bullet spongy. I would rather have them 1 or 2 hit me and be able to take them down with a magazine or two, rather than the 5-10 it takes now. It is stupid and time-consuming, and you get almost nothing for bothering.

Some of the gadgets are hot garbage. I mean unplayably, unforgivably  bad.

The specializations are interesting (especially the skill trees), but they are buggy as fuck and don't have a good enough payoff considering how rare the ammo is and how goddamned hard the weapons are to use properly (aiming the crossbow from cover, I am looking at you in particular).

The missions vary WILDLY in difficulty. Spent more than an hour on the last fight on Roosevelt Island in a HARD mission with 4 people. It was unbelievably difficult, and there are 2 difficulty levels above that. I can't even imagine it on heroic. Just swarms of mobs coming from all over the place, with tons of cover so they can easily flank you without being noticed, with a mini-gun overseeing everything. Nightmarish.

All in all I am having fun. Have plateaued in gear- can run WT5 hard missions solo (although some of the boss fights are dicey) but can't farm challenging yet, which makes finding top gear pretty hard. If you are on PC, you know my name...friend me and look me up. I am usually running solo or with a single buddy, so have plenty of room for teammates.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #83 on: April 08, 2019, 02:52:59 AM

I have yet to use the FireFly or the Shield, like at all. Firefly seems like an alpha strike weapon that I mostly use frags for. Shields look from the youtube videos to be fairly useless as they get shredded in higher tier play of a cover shooter.

Otherwise, I agree with everything you just said.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #84 on: April 08, 2019, 10:13:09 AM

I've found the big tanky mobs are cake if you splash 'em with the chem launcher first to melt that armor and then light 'em up with an LMG.

I've completely had to change up my play style of assault rifle/sniper rifle that worked super effectively in almost every encounter in D1 to having to be a lot more situational with gear load outs.

That said, yeah, the lack of survival at launch is the thing that makes me saddest. Though I'm still trying to figure out how they'd make it work in the middle of summer.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 01:09:45 PM by Surlyboi »

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: April 08, 2019, 01:01:53 PM

Heat waves/CAT 5 hurricane would sorta work.

WayAbvPar

Reply #86 on: April 08, 2019, 02:19:41 PM

I have yet to use the FireFly or the Shield, like at all. Firefly seems like an alpha strike weapon that I mostly use frags for. Shields look from the youtube videos to be fairly useless as they get shredded in higher tier play of a cover shooter.

Otherwise, I agree with everything you just said.

I usually use a flame turret for the big guys...slows them down for a few moments, and does some damage. I might check the chem launcher out and see how different it is.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Strazos

Reply #87 on: April 08, 2019, 07:19:54 PM

Still loving it, though not putting in as much time as I would have anticipated; I'm trying not to burn out, and I'm really taking my time when playing solo. Also, I'm trying to start branching out in my gear setups - it's so difficult to not default to marksmen rifle / assault rifle. Also going with the shield (middle one which allows rifles) and drone (for healing), though I started with the scatter seeker mine (worked alright, but easily replaced with normal grenades) and pulse (um...useless with such a long cooldown). I used the drone bomb in beta and was disappointed, and was similarly disappointed with the chem launcher (though you get more shots at least).

If you see me online (PC Master Race), send me an invite or something.

Fear the Backstab!
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: April 09, 2019, 12:42:12 PM

Healing Chem Launcher and Self-Revive Hive have served me well for the leveling process. Lets me focus on assault and defense attributes and such.

Stacking Hard Hitting makes elites a cake-walk.

Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: April 09, 2019, 12:55:08 PM

I run the turret for CC and distractions with either the revive hive or the chem heals. Recently started using the yoga flame turret and holy fuck is it fun to light rooms on fire... I'm waiting on getting to 30 and getting enough skill power on mods to make the firestarter chem launcher a thing so I can napalm areas of denial - but for now, the flame turret is enough - though the range keeps in a CQB device or a small area of denial in the open world.

Oh and I hate getting chewed to pieces in the sewers scavenging for keys. Those god damn chainsaw maniacs are a nightmare. However, I do like their look and style with the electrical tape wraps and the chains.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #90 on: April 22, 2019, 04:52:58 PM

The only good special weapon is the grenade launcher. The 50 Cal Sniper Rifle is literally worse than a new unique marksman rifle, and the crossbow is pretty meh for the ammo you get. The grenade launcher at least- can accurately hit several guys at once to the point where with 4-6 ammo or another demolitionist you can literally erase an entire spawn's worth of enemies when they all rush in- or if someone can get a bunch of guys together long enough for you to bombard them.

Also yeah it's almost tiring to go through all of the loot. I kinda want better sets- the current 3 sets in the game suck.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:00:55 PM by Fabricated »

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: April 22, 2019, 07:46:12 PM

I like the crossbow a lot - it has a small AoE if you time everything right you can take a few npcs. That and the healy mines are wonderful at keeping up with dmg.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: June 12, 2019, 01:10:30 PM

Free weekend starting tomorrow. Preload (40 gb) already available. Also, the game is discounted at $40 everywhere, but for some reason it's $30 on the stupid Epic Store.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #93 on: June 12, 2019, 01:22:46 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. Going to check to see if the game still gives me a headache and eye strain.

Edit:
Also, the game is discounted at $40 everywhere, but for some reason it's $30 on the stupid Epic Store.
Epic is running a summer sale right now (which ends tomorrow June 13) where games >= $14.99 have an additional $10 off any other discount courtesy of Epic (developer/publisher isn't losing that money).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 01:30:39 PM by Trippy »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #94 on: June 13, 2019, 03:16:45 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. Going to check to see if the game still gives me a headache and eye strain.
Well, it's slightly less shitty than it was before but still giving me eye strain. Decisions, decisions...
WayAbvPar

Reply #95 on: July 12, 2019, 03:10:01 PM

Have you tried anti-reflective glasses? That, plus actually prescription lenses pretty much solved all my eye strain/headache issues I was having a few years ago.

https://www.allaboutvision.com/cvs/computer_glasses.htm

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #96 on: July 12, 2019, 03:48:27 PM

I'm familiar with them and I contemplated getting some when I (finally) updated my prescription near the end of last year. However with my new single vision glasses I'm normally still able to stare at a computer screen all day every day without any problems like I have in the past so I haven't bothered to get a pair of computer glasses yet. It's only some games like The Division 2 that will cause me eyestrain so I blame the games not my glasses for the issue. E.g. games that abuse depth of field and have shitty motion blur will cause me eyestrain cause I will naturally try to refocus my eyes to fix the blurriness that the game is intentionally putting in.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: February 11, 2020, 05:09:30 PM

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: February 11, 2020, 05:54:32 PM

It's great news. The only thing I missed in the Division 2, which is good and better than 1, is NYC.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: February 11, 2020, 05:57:49 PM

So, basically what started in the Division 1 with "Diablo 3-ing the fuck" out of the game comes to a climax with this expansion. They're fully embracing seasonal events, paragon level infinite progression, and an item overall to make things better.

I'm actually pretty psyched. Maybe I'll get that year one pass after all.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #100 on: February 12, 2020, 02:17:43 PM

I enjoyed what was going currently- the big rework looks good.

The problem was the lack of build variety because the loot was insanely fucking confusing and the item budgeting they used made some build types useless. Building a defensive build was pointless- you did no damage and survived maybe 2 seconds more of direct fire because of it.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #101 on: February 12, 2020, 05:21:36 PM

I don't like the game enough to go back - I was sold on "no more bullet sponges" and the game still had the same sponges from the first game.

If you're interested in taking the base game for a spin, apparently it's $2.99 across most platforms right now.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #102 on: February 12, 2020, 05:42:17 PM

I don't like the game enough to go back - I was sold on "no more bullet sponges" and the game still had the same sponges from the first game.

If you're interested in taking the base game for a spin, apparently it's $2.99 across most platforms right now.
Even on Heroic the enemies are far less spongy than they ever were in Division 1. Fighting Hunters on legendary in Division 1 involved literally a whole 4-person team shooting them in the face non-stop for like 3-4 minutes. I've deleted bosses on Heroic missions in seconds with a good team.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #103 on: February 18, 2020, 09:55:32 AM

New York was a disappointment. Two missions in Coney Island and that was it.

They've got all the resources from the old map, take the time, drop that shit in the new engine and let us travel back and forth. I'd love to see what happened to New York once summer hit.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #104 on: February 18, 2020, 04:37:19 PM

I wanna put a bullet in Keener, hope they don't squirrel him behind a raid.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Division 2  
Jump to: