Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:52:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Inconsiderate Dogs and Their Owners 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Inconsiderate Dogs and Their Owners  (Read 11943 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #35 on: February 22, 2018, 07:55:56 PM

I have mistaken what turned out to be cat poop for dog poop.  Kept walking out my front door every morning to a fresh turd next to my front walkway, and was convinced for the longest time that somebody had a routine of walking their dog past my house early in the morning and having them poop there because it's the only yard on the block with enough foliage to poop on.  I set up cameras to find the culprit, and it turns out it was feral cats coming by at 2am to do their business.  The aforementioned sonic repellent seems to have mostly put a stop to that, thankfully.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: February 22, 2018, 09:20:31 PM

The poop I end up finding in my yard, usually when mowing the lawn, is almost always large enough that no animal other than a large dog or a human can leave that large of a pile.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: February 23, 2018, 06:37:36 AM

This is a fuck of a hill to die on.
This is dying on a hill to you?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #38 on: February 23, 2018, 08:47:45 AM

I fenced off my backyard, mostly to keep dogs from shitting in it (flinging it at the front doors of the owners did make the problems less) I have cats, they stay inside and shit in boxes. They only get to kill mice/lizards/crickets/moths/spiders that venture inside, and are good at disposing of the evidence either by eating it, or hiding it in my wife's shoes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #39 on: February 23, 2018, 09:12:57 AM

I get a bit, but there's a park on one side and a school on the other (through some woods, even), so they usually drop elsewhere. But yeah, few clean it up. For a while we had someone bagging it...and then just leaving the bag on the lawns. The old lady pays guys to mow in the summer, so I usually don't see it anymore. For me, it's more dealing with the skunk and deer crap in the backyard near the woodpile. So much deer crap.

The sidewalk by the school is a joy during a thaw though. We just walk on the road because the sidewalk is a shitcarpet.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: February 23, 2018, 10:11:01 AM

Impossible. Most owners clean it up.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #41 on: February 23, 2018, 10:21:57 AM

#notalldogowners   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #42 on: February 23, 2018, 12:08:08 PM

These are common problems - that many people do not even bother considering to be problems.

1.) All sorts of animals, from cats to squirrels to birds to rats... shit in your yard.  If you want to pretend it is sanitized, be my guest, but realistically, it is a disgusting place - with or without dogs.

2.) Don't be so sure.  Trash cans in a public place are fair game in many ways - the media goes through the trash of celebrities all the time - because it is legal for them to do so.  With the private trash service you may have an issue you can complain about, but really... is it that bad that they're throwing something in your can? People throw stuff in my can all the time - including poop - and I have never had a single worry about it.

3.) Dogs do that... and I bet there is bird, insect and other animal leavings on it, too. 

4.) Anything near the front of the property is going to get decorated if people walk their dog by your yard.  If you want to protect it, create a gap that makes it awkward for the dog to step near it.  That is what I did for my flower beds. 

You're not going to win this war.  It is one of those things that you're better off learning to accept and moving on rather than fighting.  You'll lose more by fighting than you'll gain.

1. I don't buy this argument.  We have intent at the root of everything: you wouldn't argue that hail falling from the sky and smashing your car windshield is exactly the same as some guy taking a hammer to it, since, Hey? They are both broken, right?

2. The total volume taken up by a few poop bags isn't the problem:  it's the mindset that it's ok that is really the problem.  Again, this argument falls apart: can I steal your oranges, and argue that some would have fallen on the ground on their own?  Because gravity?  Can I park my car in the unused spot on your driveway, because the driveway doesn't care?

For that matter, can I walk onto your doorstep, drop my pants, and leave a steamer on your front door because some wild animal might have done it anyways?

3. Same as above.  I can't control what wild animals do.  People aren't typically given any such leeway.

4. Again - I have to contemplate a few thousands of dollars for a fence work, because other people just can't be asked to respect property rights?

I just can't envision any scenario, dog or not, where I would ever willingly tread around on someones property, for any reason maybe other than I thought someone was in danger.  It wouldn't even cross my mind to do so.  It's surprising that there are others who think this is ok.  Yes, I may be just a crotchety old asshole but I don't thing I'm wrong either.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: February 23, 2018, 12:54:24 PM

1. I don't buy this argument.  We have intent at the root of everything: you wouldn't argue that hail falling from the sky and smashing your car windshield is exactly the same as some guy taking a hammer to it, since, Hey? They are both broken, right?
Right, you're worried about the crap intent, not the crap substance.  And, if a guy throws a hammer through my window in the middle of a hailstorm that has already broken all the windows...
2. The total volume taken up by a few poop bags isn't the problem:  it's the mindset that it's ok that is really the problem.  Again, this argument falls apart: can I steal your oranges, and argue that some would have fallen on the ground on their own?  Because gravity?  Can I park my car in the unused spot on your driveway, because the driveway doesn't care?
My neighbors *do* take a few of my lemons off the tree.  It produces more than enough to share.  The extent to which an 'imposing' activity impacts your life should be considered.  People dropping a bit of crap in your trash can isn't going to impact you unless they have elephants.
For that matter, can I walk onto your doorstep, drop my pants, and leave a steamer on your front door because some wild animal might have done it anyways?
No.  Let's try an exercise in reading - answer me why I think that is different based upon what I've already posted.
...4. Again - I have to contemplate a few thousands of dollars for a fence work, because other people just can't be asked to respect property rights?
Most people have wild animals in their community that are likely to damage exposed property.  And, like I suggested above, a little precaution on your side can prevent it. 

I'm not endorsing dragging a dog to your house and waiting until it pees on your stuff (yet), but acting like dog piss/shit is unusual, or that your yard is totally clean of any other befoulment, is ridiculous.   
I just can't envision any scenario, dog or not, where I would ever willingly tread around on someones property, for any reason maybe other than I thought someone was in danger.  It wouldn't even cross my mind to do so.  It's surprising that there are others who think this is ok.  Yes, I may be just a crotchety old asshole but I don't thing I'm wrong either.
I can't say you're an asshole (yet), but yeah - you're the crotchety guy in the neighborhood.  My neighbors take my lemons.  They drop stuff in my trash can if their can is full.  Their kids sit under my tree (amongst the crap remnants) to read books and play games.  Those kids also ride up my driveway when turning their bikes around.  Their dogs piss on my lawn.  Their dogs poop on my lawn, too (although in my experience that gets picked up almost all the time). 

I'm in a fucking neighborhood.  My neighbors are my friends.  We're not scared of each other or anti-social.  I know everybody in every one of the 20 nearest houses to me - and most of the people that live within 200 yards of me in any direction.  I put up with their shit, and they'd put up with mine if I wasn't such a fucking angel that never pisses anyone off.   

Simply put: Chill the fuck out.  You'll be happier.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #44 on: February 23, 2018, 02:16:14 PM

This is a fuck of a hill to die on.
This is dying on a hill to you?

Just now, before my eyes, I witnessed someone SirBruce a post in order to white-knight literal dog shit.

Psycho.   why so serious?

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #45 on: February 23, 2018, 03:32:25 PM

Today was a good day.
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #46 on: February 23, 2018, 04:48:51 PM

Simply put: Chill the fuck out.  You'll be happier.
Well, thank you for sharing your point of view, it has been...illustrative, and explains a lot about the attitude of people I am dealing with.

And in defense of crotchety old assholes: my neighbors have asked things of me and my family and we've always been willing to help.  Across the street, our neighbor was doing a renovation and asked us if they could throw away stuff in our can, and we said yes.  We've dog sat multiple times with little notice, as our next door neighbor was dealing with a sick parent and often needed to leave town on short notice.

However in all of those cases the neighbor asked first, before assuming and just taking.  And they weren't complete strangers either like I am seeing on my camera.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Inconsiderate Dogs and Their Owners  
Jump to: