Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:16:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Carbon steel pans 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carbon steel pans  (Read 3800 times)
hal1
Terracotta Army

on: February 16, 2018, 06:20:02 PM

It is like a cast iron pan but it conductive s heat wonderfully. I cook on an electric resistance stove. Hot spots are simply a reality. This pan conducts heat so well you don't know you have a hot spot. As cast iron wash when you get it and never again. Oil it and put in heat to make sure it is dry (it will rust). But as nonstick as cast iron, much lighter and the more you use it the better it gets. It really works well.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 07:47:29 AM

I'll look into it.  Any trouble with rust?  Any favored brand or style?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 09:11:43 AM

I own a couple of carbon steel pans but I do wash them.  I use a non-abrasive scrubber in water with no soap to get off the bits and then heat dry the pan on the stove.  When it cools, I coat it with some vegetable oil using a paper towel and hang it up. 

The pan is GREAT on gas heat, but not worth the effort on an electric.  Your opinion may vary.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 10:00:04 AM

I started to just use my enamel coated Cast Iron Dutch oven for almost everything where I want a sear.  It was cheap (less than $50 - Martha frigging Stuart collection), and it does a great job - and clean up is easy.  It is wide enough that I can still get at food in it with an angled spatula, as well.  I have not pulled out my true Cast Iron in a long time, honestly - and I generally only will when I'm using my standalone gas burner that is hooked up to a focal tunnel to really get it going.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 11:19:43 AM

As cast iron wash when you get it and never again.
I wash cast iron all the time with a nylon brush and mild detergent - what is the problem?

Isn't all steel 'carbon' steel, by definition? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? How is the weight difference between your steel pans and the same size in cast iron?  Is it like half?

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 11:44:54 AM

Isn't all steel 'carbon' steel, by definition? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Not really. When people say carbon steel, they mean a steel that has a very high iron content (90%+), a relatively high carbon content around 0.2% to 2%, and no more than 1-2% total of any other elements; "iron steel" would probably be a more accurate term. Stainless steels, on the other hand, generally have a carbon content of 0.15% or less, at least 10% chromium, and often significant amounts of other elements such as nickel, manganese, or molybdenum. Carbon isn't usually even considered a reportable element when discussing the composition of steels, since a lot of industrial-grade testing equipment can't detect it.

/metallurgic derail

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 12:46:01 PM

Iron steel is a very poor term given that steel is iron alloyed with other elements.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 01:11:57 PM

If it is susceptible to rust, I'll keep using my iron.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 06:16:15 PM

Eh, Lodge makes some and I generally like my Lodge cast iron stuff.  I like the idea of non-stick and non-coating enough to give it a whirl. 
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 06:46:40 PM

After reading this thread I feel I should make one about Scarpa hiking boots.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 06:48:38 PM

Good boots.  Should do it, man. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Carbon steel pans  
Jump to: