Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:42:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: When Australia is not a country 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When Australia is not a country  (Read 8115 times)
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

on: February 08, 2018, 03:48:09 PM

US Student Fails Her Assignment Because Her Professor Said "Australia Isn't A Country"

But when Arnold got her grade back on Feb. 1, she was shocked to see her professor had failed her. Why? Because, according to the teacher, "Australia is a continent; not a country."

Arnold said she was determined to have the professor realize her mistake, so she filed a report with the university. "I’m not going to fail because I chose a country that is a country," she said.

Is this a "lalala I can't hear you" thing where if you wish us away, the spiders and snakes no longer exist?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 05:50:51 PM

Yeah, don't worry, online education is JUST as good as anything else.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 09:42:06 PM

At university level, that kind of shit should be grounds for termination of your right to be a professor......

Reminds me of a similar thing that happened to me back in highschool, where my french teacher marked me wrong on a problem in one of the workbooks.  The question was in the form of a diagram, with a picture of an assembly of gears, where it asked you "if you turn gear A in this direction, what direction does gear B move in.  She marked me wrong because the fucking answer sheet in the back of the workbook had the wrong answer.  So I went home, built the fucking thing out of lego-technic, and brought the assembly to my next class to show that the book had the wrong answer.   Never liked french much, and damn sure wasn't going to lose marks because someone decided to mark shit by the book.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 05:21:05 AM

For-profit higher education usually doesn't even let you see who their faculty are, because it's a big mix of people who are the equivalent of the gym coach who teaches US history in high school (e.g., people teaching a subject they are manifestly not qualified to teach), people who got Ph.ds from diploma mills, people who don't even have a degree, people with actual jobs who are moonlighting against the rules of their institution (and probably barely paying attention). Not a surprise since they're paid almost nothing.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 06:10:19 AM

Well at least the professor didnt confuse us for a landlocked country in Europe.

mmm Southern New Hampshire huh, thats 20 minutes drive from me...I'll go slap her around with my Australian passport 'DO CONTINENTS ISSUE PASSPORTS LADY??'
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 06:11:51 AM by Shannow »

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 08:11:04 AM

Technically, she's only half wrong, as Australia is a continent, it just also happens to be a country that takes up the entire continent. So, only half a dumbass, but wholly someone who should not be teaching.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 10:38:02 AM

Sporcle tells me that 'Oceania' is now the continent and Sporcle is never wrong.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 11:09:27 AM

Without following the link to buzzfeed (thanks, but no), is it possible that the professor's point is that Australia is name of the continent that the Commonwealth of Australia (the actual name of the country) occupies, along with the Island of Tasmania and others?

If you are going to expect your professors to not be pedantic twits, you probably don't need to be going to college at all.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 12:20:33 PM

Nope. Prof legit had no idea Australia was a country. Student provided notes and sourcing in emails, and prof said they would have to do an independent review of material in order to regrade, but don't expect an improvement if you're going to make an easy mistake like thinking Aus was a country. It's holy fuck levels of stupid.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 12:21:10 PM

Blame Canada.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 12:42:49 PM

I would think the logical followup to her statement would have been "So, exactly what countries are found in the Continent of Australia?"

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 01:09:27 PM

Also don't expect the faculty of Southern New Hampshire to be in Southern New Hampshire--the online instruction unit runs nearly separately from the bricks-and-mortar university (and is pretty much trashing the rep of the remaining bricks-and-mortar operation), it's got 2,000+ "faculty" who are entirely associated with the online courses and as with most of these things, they make it hard to find out who they are. You can now see the Univ. of Phoenix's faculty lists but it's buried deep in the site and there's no sorting (e.g., by department or unit). Most of them just have master's degrees, a fair number from Univ. of Phoenix itself.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 01:15:09 PM

Nope. Prof legit had no idea Australia was a country. Student provided notes and sourcing in emails, and prof said they would have to do an independent review of material in order to regrade, but don't expect an improvement if you're going to make an easy mistake like thinking Aus was a country. It's holy fuck levels of stupid.

Thanks for going to Buzzfeed for me, I wasn't up to that today.

So, what did he think Australia was, part of New Zealand?

awesome, for real
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 01:16:51 PM by Mandella »
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 04:00:04 PM

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: When Australia is not a country  
Jump to: