Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:07:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Cloverfield Paradox 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cloverfield Paradox  (Read 10555 times)
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: February 08, 2018, 04:59:05 PM

You guys are overthinking it. It's all a bunch of stuff that's stitched together, with the 2nd two movies being made from scripts that weren't written with any connection to Cloverfield in mind. In both cases it sounds like they're were made into Cloverfield films while the movies were already in production. As for the original, I doubt there is any sort of "official" answer for the creature's origins. That ARG shit is all just marketing. Trying to piece it all together is like trying to make a timeline of the Terminator franchise.

The funny part is that we're not even putting any effort into this. I just like multiverse theory so I instantly understood what their trying to do, and now laughing at all the attempts to go back to linear storytelling as JJ Abrams just gobbles and shits out more interesting premises into half backed movies tied very very lousily to his addle brains idea of canon.
Triax
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: February 08, 2018, 05:16:12 PM

This Animaniacs bit from '95 seems ever so apropos here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOtmdHiCJNY

Really not sure why though  awesome, for real

(and yes, I've been around here long enough to know this is where things usually go after only a short while, but sometimes it gets a smidge egregious)
schild
Administrator

Reply #37 on: February 08, 2018, 09:33:05 PM

You guys are overthinking it. It's all a bunch of stuff that's stitched together, with the 2nd two movies being made from scripts that weren't written with any connection to Cloverfield in mind. In both cases it sounds like they're were made into Cloverfield films while the movies were already in production. As for the original, I doubt there is any sort of "official" answer for the creature's origins. That ARG shit is all just marketing. Trying to piece it all together is like trying to make a timeline of the Terminator franchise.

The funny part is that we're not even putting any effort into this. I just like multiverse theory so I instantly understood what their trying to do, and now laughing at all the attempts to go back to linear storytelling as JJ Abrams just gobbles and shits out more interesting premises into half backed movies tied very very lousily to his addle brains idea of canon.
It doesn't require thinking because they explain it. They literally shoved a bad YouTube video into the movie to explain the entire thing.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #38 on: February 08, 2018, 11:18:43 PM

It doesn't require thinking because they explain it. They literally shoved a bad YouTube video into the movie to explain the entire thing.

The only video I want to see is when Abrams told the director after he had started filming the movie that this is now a Cloverfield movie and has to tie all the movies together somehow.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: February 09, 2018, 11:44:30 AM

Terminator Genisys was a good, fun movie. That is all.

Hic sunt dracones.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: February 09, 2018, 11:53:33 AM

The only video I want to see is when Abrams told the director after he had started filming the movie that this is now a Cloverfield movie and has to tie all the movies together somehow.

That was literally that youtube video. This wasn't meant to "tie" these movies together but give JJ Abrams an excuse to call everything cloverfield
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: February 09, 2018, 04:34:54 PM

So much no.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #42 on: February 09, 2018, 10:29:23 PM

It's actually kinda like a JJ Abrams movie also. Like Star Trek (2009) it wants to reboot the franchise while also acknowledging everything that happened before, and like Star Trek Into Darkness a lot of it is call backs to the better movies that just leave you wanting to watch those other movies instead.
justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: February 10, 2018, 05:59:13 PM

... JJ Abrams is a hack...

Cloverfield: J.J. Abrams' Godzilla.
Star Trek reboot: J.J. Abrams' Gene Roddenberry's Star trek, 'nuff said.
10 Cloverfield Lane: J.J. Abrams' H. G. Wells' War of the Worlds (Twist by M. Night Shamalamadingdong)
The Cloverfield Paradox: J.J. Abrams' Event Horizon (Guest ending by J.J. Abrams' Stephen King's The Mist).

He's like Midas but he turns everything he touches into a Fast and the Furious movie.

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
schild
Administrator

Reply #44 on: February 10, 2018, 06:32:39 PM

And boy do I love fast and the furious
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #45 on: February 10, 2018, 06:53:37 PM

Likewise.

Also, 10 Cloverfield Lane is absolutely not War of the Worlds.  Reducing that movie down to just its last eight minutes is silly.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: February 11, 2018, 10:55:10 AM

10 Cloverfield Lane: JJ Abrams' John Carpenters The Thing then?

Hic sunt dracones.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #47 on: February 12, 2018, 12:31:39 PM

Eh, it was ok. I liked the setting and idea of it, the acting was decent though everyone was as shallow as a wading pool, which kinda sucked. Too shallow for a good drama, too static for good action, not enough tension for a thriller, just kinda tried several things and sucked at all of them.

But the ending was atrocious, if they lop the last 30 seconds or whatever off the movie it would improve immensely. There was no need for that and it was just silly.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #48 on: February 12, 2018, 12:50:52 PM

I finally watched 10 Cloverfield Lane this weekend, and that is clearly the best film of the three. Best written and acted, most tightly scripted. However, it's pretty clear the only real thing linking the three movies together is all meta. It's a marketing gimmick more than a cohesive universe, although Paradox's Youtube video certainly does enough to allow for the possibility of the three being linked in a cohesive universe. I don't really care, I enjoyed all three as separate films anyway.

Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: February 12, 2018, 01:06:29 PM

This was awful, contrived and unnecessary.  It was Event Horizon reworked as a Final Destination movie.  The way the 'random instability' seemed to only arise as the plot needed to get rid of people made me angry, I could never get into the movie enough to just enjoy the spectacle.  Not to mention the stupidity of the decoupling scene that of course required the requisite heroic sacrifice.  Utter garbage.

I would have been far happier if Cloverfield was left as some vaguely connected way of telling apocalyptic stories with no real need to explain the cause.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: February 12, 2018, 04:50:43 PM

It would have worked better as a marketing gimmick - Hi! This bunch is making a horror/monster movie, so they are working "Cloverfield" into the title to let you know its one of their movies! There is no reason to connect them otherwise, and no-one ever really felt any need to connect the first and second Cloverfield movies at all.

Hic sunt dracones.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: February 13, 2018, 04:15:13 PM

However, it's pretty clear the only real thing linking the three movies together is all meta.
You don't say.  awesome, for real
I just watched the redletter media video about this movie and apparently 10 "Cloverfield" lane and "Cloverfield Paradox" had nothing to do with the Cloverfield "universe" during writing or shooting. Anything connecting it to the original Cloverfield movie was either done in post or in reshoots.

And for the record, this movie was terrible. Way way worse than Bright. But the writing was better.  why so serious?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: February 13, 2018, 05:08:28 PM

JJ Abrams is the diet coke of movies.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #53 on: February 15, 2018, 01:39:21 PM

JJ Abrams is a poor man's hobo.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: February 15, 2018, 10:24:44 PM

I rarely do this, since I'd rather talk about what I enjoy than what I don't, but I really wish I could have my hour and forty-two minutes back. That was really, really bad, IMHO.

And note that I am fine with Abrams. He's got good projects and disappointments, just like most producers not named Uwe Boll. I also enjoyed the hell out of Cloverfield and 10 Cloverfield Lane. The latter might not have started life as a "Cloverfield" movie, but the tone fit, and it was well done in any case.

Paradox was just a train wreck. I'd rather have rewatched Spectral. Or an Adam Sandler marathon. Maybe even Pluto Nash.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: February 16, 2018, 02:55:59 PM

How's Spectral ? Netflix insists that I watch it.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: February 16, 2018, 06:42:17 PM

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh. It's fine. 80's B-movie sci-fi plot with some pretty nice modern cheap special effects. Popcorn flick.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: February 16, 2018, 07:07:04 PM

How's Spectral ? Netflix insists that I watch it.

It was a great idea ruined by all the things that ruin great ideas. The movie cost something like 80 million to make, and and it should have cost 8.

It's just executed very badly. Watching it you can see how a different director/actor combination might have made a really good movie, so it kinda hurts to watch the money burning on screen.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Cloverfield Paradox  
Jump to: