Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:53:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Cloverfield Paradox 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cloverfield Paradox  (Read 10551 times)
schild
Administrator

on: February 04, 2018, 07:22:37 PM

Should be popping up on Netflix any minute.

Also congratulations to Philadelphia for beating the most unlikable team in sports.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 07:38:19 PM

Aaaaand it's up
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 09:20:31 PM

This was pretty good. Recommended viewing order is now this, Cloverfield and then 10 Cloverfield.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 09:50:44 PM

It was okay, I guess.  Easily the weakest of the three.  The entire premise of the film isn't mentioned at all in either of the other two, which is strange considering it attempts to be a prequel.  It reaks of retconning.  Frankly, I'm disappointed.  They had a real opportunity here and it was utterly squandered.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 05:21:34 AM

That cast though.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 06:12:17 AM

It was okay, I guess.  Easily the weakest of the three.  The entire premise of the film isn't mentioned at all in either of the other two, which is strange considering it attempts to be a prequel.  It reaks of retconning.  Frankly, I'm disappointed.  They had a real opportunity here and it was utterly squandered.
I haven't dug into the args enough to sufficiently say whether things have been massively retconned.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 06:53:20 AM

So sleeping on it, this wasn't a very good movie. Life was better. But it did fill in some of the backstory gaps. Maybe by installment 17 they'll have shoved enough stuff into each movie that we'll get the full story.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 06:58:00 AM

Alright alright alright, from /r/cloververse, paraphrasing

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 09:13:11 AM

Yeah, but why bother?  It was easy to do that anyway and I was going to keep watching them because Cloverfield was decent and 10 Cloverfield Lane was amazing.  Them being in the same universe through retconning doesn't make them any better retroactively.  In fact, the reasoning behind the plot of this movie is so dire that it actually makes them worse.

The more I think about this movie the more I dislike it, so I'm going to stop now while I'm ahead because there is a lot more to complain about.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 09:35:10 AM

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 04:30:03 AM

Movie was meh.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 05:37:59 AM

Yeah, my take on it was:

I was ok with it, but in the end, yeah, meh.  The first half was fun, but it broke down with a lot of the issues Ruvaldt already said.  Just a lot of lazy writing and things that didn’t make a whole lot of sense or even seem slightly logical.  Still, had entertainment value, and it does (potentially) establish a nice setup for a whole Cloverfield franchise.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 07:41:06 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 07:16:22 AM

Also, the viral marketing supporting the first film and this film are inconsistent with the movies.

The first and third film were nice spectacle films if you can shut off your brain.  But, that has to be a hard shut off to take it all in...

schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 07:27:27 AM

Also, the viral marketing supporting the first film and this film are inconsistent with the movies.

How so?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 07:30:01 AM

I enjoyed this. It wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. The only parts that bothered me were the spacewalk scenes and really only one part of that. The rest of it was fun bits of creepy, funny, and spectacle-driven thrills. I now need to watch Lane because I don't know how they connect at all other than the kid in the bunker.

schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 07:34:22 AM

I enjoyed this. It wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. The only parts that bothered me were the spacewalk scenes and really only one part of that. The rest of it was fun bits of creepy, funny, and spectacle-driven thrills. I now need to watch Lane because I don't know how they connect at all other than the kid in the bunker.

10 Cloverfield Lane took place on the alternate Earth that was "at war," theoretically. Other than Germany and Russia being Germany and Russia, they left it vague enough to leave "alien attack" as a possible catalyst of said war.

That doesn't really matter though, what matters is that 10 Cloverfield and Cloverfield didn't take place on the same Earth, so they don't need to be connected.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 07:43:06 AM

Wait, really?  I don't recall anything in 10 Cloverfield Lane that hinted that there had been a war going on.  Was it on the radio at the beginning or something?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 07:53:30 AM

Was worth it for the line "what are you talking about arm?".

I am the .00000001428%
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 08:59:05 AM

Was worth it for the line "what are you talking about arm?".

Basically yes.  Once I saw Roy from IT Crowd I knew I was going to enjoy myself.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 04:24:02 PM

That doesn't really matter though, what matters is that 10 Cloverfield and Cloverfield didn't take place on the same Earth, so they don't need to be connected.

The only thing that connects the Cloverfield movies is that their marketing is more notable than the movies themselves (or as notable at least in the case of 10 Cloverfield Lane which is the only good movie in the bunch). Blair Godzilla was only worth watching in the theater and Sunshine Horizon here burns off any goodwill the franchise might have built up. With another Cloverfield movie (Overlord) supposedly coming out this year one can only wonder what gimmicky marketing trick they're going to come up with next to get people to care.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 05:17:33 PM

Cloverfield was a lot of fun to show my kid recently. She had no idea what it was about, so for the first 15 minutes she was bored out of her skull. When the events begin she was legitimately surprised and we had a fun time watching.

We don't get excited about the tricks because we've seen them before, but it's great fun to introduce someone to it.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 06:34:52 PM

10 Cloverfield Lane took place on the alternate Earth that was "at war," theoretically. Other than Germany and Russia being Germany and Russia, they left it vague enough to leave "alien attack" as a possible catalyst of said war.

There is no indication that 10 Cloverfield lane is even remotely connected to the alternative earth visited in Paradox. Paradox presents a 3rd reality, a "trigger" the events of the Cloverfield and 10 Cloverfield lane.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 04:17:07 AM

It really showed that this had originally nothing to do with Cloverfield. Still worth the watch (as a Netflix movie) but it's hard to see why Netflix would pay over 50m for this (as is being reported).
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 04:18:12 AM

This was watchable.

Barely.

It really could have tried harder. 

It Didn't.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 12:46:55 PM

It came, it spit something interesting and it went. Its like an hour and a half commercial for a book I'd rather be reading. As far as a connection to Cloverfield.... man if you followed the theories that attempted to link the last two cloverfield movies and expected this one to help tie it together? Oh dear god you'd be mighty pissed right now. JJ Abrams is a hack, and its funny everyone is piling on this movie for "ruining the franchise" for being an inconsistent buggy mess of a narrative the same way he gave star trek the inconsistent buggy mess narrative that got him kicked from all future star trek movies. I wonder what other franchise he fucked sideways,  awesome, for real
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 08, 2018, 05:48:58 AM

I enjoyed Paradox as a creepy horror film but I think the best horror films need some sort of rules or internal logic. This one just said any weird thing you can imagine might happen at any time.
schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: February 08, 2018, 06:15:37 AM

In 10 Cloverfield Lane, John Goodman's character believes war has broken out (or maybe says he does as a pretext for keeping his guest hostage) but he's wrong and in fact what's happened is that the monster has attacked. What you see is smaller monsters, but the original Cloverfield established that the big monster has a load of smaller monsters living on it.

I don't care about spoilers. Anyway, it's not smaller monsters in 10 Cloverfield Lane. It's straight up aliens.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 08, 2018, 07:19:10 AM

Yeah, they had drones and spaceships, that wasn't monsters.

I am the .00000001428%
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 08, 2018, 07:38:14 AM

Again, nothing at all tells me that the three films take place on any shared earths.  Paradox breaking space/time and fucking up an infinite amount of earths is the best way to take this, if they want to continue the 'franchise', as it is.

-Stephen Colbert
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 08, 2018, 08:27:14 AM

I enjoyed Paradox as a creepy horror film but I think the best horror films need some sort of rules or internal logic. This one just said any weird thing you can imagine might happen at any time.

Your a bit off.
CloverField

Set in 2008, something triggers random monster sleeping in the ocean to wake up and wreck our universe

10 CloverField Lane

In 2016 in Another universe an alien invasion occurs (the aliens may or may not be from the same universe as the cloverfield monster)

CloverField Paradox

In 2028 in ANOTHER universe (we're at 3 different versions of earth now) we activate the particle accelerator and trigger the events of the other two movies. Coincidentally they travel to what I can guess is "our universe" (but lets call it universe 4) where we are in the middle of WW3.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:28:57 AM by MediumHigh »
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 08, 2018, 01:48:28 PM

Regarding the first film: There is contradictory information about why the monster is there.  The viral marketing suggests it is an ancient creature awoken by big corporations, while the movie itself shows footage of something falling from the sky in the background in the last 'old' footage they show in the film, suggesting the Cloverfield monster comes from space.

We see four settings across three films.  The secnd film could occur in the same 'prime' universe of the third film, but it seems unlikely to me. 

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 08, 2018, 02:20:14 PM

Regarding the first film: There is contradictory information about why the monster is there.  The viral marketing suggests it is an ancient creature awoken by big corporations, while the movie itself shows footage of something falling from the sky in the background in the last 'old' footage they show in the film, suggesting the Cloverfield monster comes from space.

We see four settings across three films.  The secnd film could occur in the same 'prime' universe of the third film, but it seems unlikely to me.  

It was a misdirection, at least the satellite falling to earth and awakening the monster. Before Paradox previous fan theory is that the slushy corporation was mining "A" creature that was alien in origin to be used added ingredients for a new brand of pepsi and the constant mining for its blood and skin cells actually woke it up. With Paradox, I think we now can assume that the satellite seen falling down was destroyed during the events of Paradox.

As the Satellite in Paradox's successful particle accelerator test literally merged "all" instances of said satellite that occupied that same space without regard to time, and considering we launch these projects several years in advance i can see the satellite in Cloverfield 2008 getting wrecked due to Paradox's satellite occupying the same
space during the test. .
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #32 on: February 08, 2018, 03:04:00 PM

You guys are overthinking it. It's all a bunch of stuff that's stitched together, with the 2nd two movies being made from scripts that weren't written with any connection to Cloverfield in mind. In both cases it sounds like they're were made into Cloverfield films while the movies were already in production. As for the original, I doubt there is any sort of "official" answer for the creature's origins. That ARG shit is all just marketing. Trying to piece it all together is like trying to make a timeline of the Terminator franchise.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #33 on: February 08, 2018, 03:36:14 PM

You guys are overthinking it. It's all a bunch of stuff that's stitched together, with the 2nd two movies being made from scripts that weren't written with any connection to Cloverfield in mind. In both cases it sounds like they're were made into Cloverfield films while the movies were already in production. As for the original, I doubt there is any sort of "official" answer for the creature's origins. That ARG shit is all just marketing. Trying to piece it all together is like trying to make a timeline of the Terminator franchise.
Here you go.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #34 on: February 08, 2018, 04:48:31 PM

I wish I could edit that page just to put "psycho" at the very end of it.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Cloverfield Paradox  
Jump to: