Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:56:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: ATI "issues"? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ATI "issues"?  (Read 6182 times)
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

on: April 13, 2004, 11:29:43 PM

Just what are the ATI issues, now that the NDA is gone?
I did note that NVidia has their logo on the main page.  I have friends with ATI cards, and was planning to get one to upgrade my GF2 GTS, but may hold off if I switch to this game, and it hates ATI cards.

I've also been curiously unable to find min. system reqs. online anywhere.  My system surpasses(barely) Haemish's stated specs except video ram, my GF2 GTS only has 32MB.   If he finds it playable, I guess I'm set.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 01:32:18 AM

A lot of people with ATI 7200's and 8500's are having texture/shader problems. Everything appears a single flat shade of blue or black. Koboshi, of this board, is currently experiencing this problem. We've tried everything to figure it out. And it doesn't happen to every card, so it's been tough to nail.

If we figure something out by the end of this weekend I'll post here.
Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 03:15:27 AM

I have the game installed on two PCs.

On my home box (Athlon 1800, 768MB, Geforce 4 5900FX, XP Pro) it's rock solid.

On my laptop (Dell Inspiron, Pentium M 1500, 512MB, ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro, XP Pro) it's crashy.

For what it's worth - it may be the relatively low memory on the laptop that's causing more problems than the graphics card.  And I haven't been able to update to the very latest graphics drivers on the laptop, because the generic ones don't work, I need Dell-specific ones.
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 03:51:55 AM

I'm running an AthlonXP 2400, W2K, 512 ram, ATI Radeon 256MB 9600 XT and having no problems whatsoever.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 04:00:04 AM

Quote from: Alrindel
On my laptop (Dell Inspiron, Pentium M 1500, 512MB, ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro, XP Pro) it's crashy.

I have the exact same problem with my laptop (if you have an Inspiron 8600 we have the same laptop - well I've got the 1.7M but no big difference). I really want to play on the campus internet when I'm in class (I'm a senior, classes are uh, teh suq) but the sheer amount it crashes is driving me insane. I don't think it's the on board DDR btw, there are memory leaks in the program that are affecting the way the graphics card is rendering. A crash diagnostics program will verify this.
Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 04:22:59 AM

Yep, Inspiron 8600.  Great laptop.

Dell's support site is sucky but I think that this is the most recent appropriate driver that they have for download.  I'm going to try it, anyways - at least if it screws everything up utterly then WinXP will let me roll back painlessly.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 04:25:49 AM

I have those drivers. They don't fix shit. I suspect new drivers are coming soon since on 3/29 they updated the video BIOS. I can only hope they get these drivers working by the ultimate catass weekend. The bagel place down the road with free internet access calls out to me.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 09:54:51 AM

One ATI issue I'm having is on my work computer.

WinXP
1.5 Ghz Intel box
512 MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9500 with catalyst 4.4 drivers (or 4.3)

Some of the rollovers (specifically the one for the xp bar) don't work right. A box will pop up, but the text doesn't wrap or stretch the box correctly. Most times, it's either a thin box with no text, or it's a thin, long box with one letter on each line and it only shows the words "EXP." Of course, it looks outstanding with all that AA going on.

If your box is a little better than my specs at home but with a GF2 (not-MX) card, you should be fine. You'll have to play with the settings a bit, and I suggest turning off shadows altogether, but it should run fine. It's a remarkably well-put together graphics engine (ATI issues not withstanding).

Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 10:02:20 AM

The tooltips problem is a known bug and it's not graphics-card related: I have the same thing on both my ATI and GeForce machines.

Weirdly, the tooltips work properly as long as your character is in combat stance.  As soon as it switches back to normal stance, they stop working.
Glamdring
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 10:57:46 AM

Yup, I play using a 9500 Pro w/ latest catalyst drivers and have no problem at all with any video issues.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 14, 2004, 12:27:50 PM

I'm using the 4.1 drivers without major problems.

It's interesting to note there is a texture problem in the beta of WWII Online right now with 4.3 and 4.4 drivers (not sure about the others).  So there could be a generic ATI problem at issue here.

Bruce
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #11 on: April 15, 2004, 12:15:21 AM

I have a Radeon 9600 and I've also had ocassional crashes (2 in 3 hours of gameplay).  Both on the zone into/out of the Contact hall in the starter zone.  Gonna update the drivers and see if that helps any.

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: April 15, 2004, 12:37:56 AM

Omega Drivers have completely fixed my Dell 8600. Rock on Christian driver dudes!
Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 15, 2004, 02:55:47 AM

Quote from: Daydreamer
I have a Radeon 9600 and I've also had ocassional crashes (2 in 3 hours of gameplay).  Both on the zone into/out of the Contact hall in the starter zone.  Gonna update the drivers and see if that helps any.

I've had a bug on my GeForce machine where, when coming out of City Hall in the Atlas Park zone, everything is black, but the game isn't crashed - you can still hear the sound running.  I looked on the beta boards and saw some other people are having the same problem, it seems to be a known issue.  Anyways, should that happen to you, you don't need to kill the client and restart (which I was doing every time it happened).  Just turn your avatar around 180 degrees and mouseover where the doors should be behind you.  The cursor will change back into the blue "you can enter this door" hand icon, and you can click and go back into the City Hall.  This should reset the display.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 15, 2004, 06:34:12 AM

That can happen exiting any building.  It is really rare, but I had it happen to me the first time last night leaving the orion shop in skyway.  Love those dual origin enhancements.  Wish I knew where the cap was...
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 15, 2004, 08:31:30 AM

I've had the black screen after exiting a door thng happen and foudn that /stuck works to unfuck it.  Fortunately when you press the / it autoactivates the chat bar so no need to fumble around with clicking blindly.  The fact that /stuck works in this situation leads me to think its not a graphics bug but a programming bug.  Because if you were entered into the world correctly but with no visuals then /stuck should'nt do anything as it only pops your character up a bit.

I also have a Radeon 8500 and I have had no graphics problems at all except for one CTD two days ago.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: ATI "issues"?  
Jump to: