Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:59:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Electric Dreams (Amazon) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Electric Dreams (Amazon)  (Read 3067 times)
Shannow
Terracotta Army

on: January 15, 2018, 04:21:08 PM

Amazon does Black Mirror. Almost to the tee.

Not bad.

Episodes are based upon Philip K Dicks short stories

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 02:53:06 AM

Counterpoint :  They were all bloody awful meandering messes with no point nor punch.

The one with Cranston was particularly brutal because how on Earth do you fuck that up ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 12:38:35 PM

Because they usually get Philip K. Dick wrong. So far I would say only Blade Runner and Man in the High Castle are even close to understanding what they're doing in working with Dick's writings.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 12:58:18 PM

The stories themselves are fine, its the dialogue, directing, art direction etc that's the problem. Felt cheap. I couldn't get through the Bryan Cranston episode it was that bad.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 01:06:17 PM

I enjoyed a couple of the episodes, but in trying to find one I wanted to rewatch (the one with the Auto-Fac), I realized that at least half of them, I hadn't watched the endings. And didn't feel like I wanted to.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 10:41:18 PM

Because they usually get Philip K. Dick wrong. So far I would say only Blade Runner and Man in the High Castle are even close to understanding what they're doing in working with Dick's writings.

Scanner Darkly?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 01:51:00 AM

Was that the mental Keanu Reeves one ?  I couldn't watch it.  Was it any good ?

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 01:58:46 AM

I liked it, but its a weird trippy movie that is a very close translation of the novel, so its got strange pacing.  You'll either love it or be bored to tears with it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 03:02:29 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 02:07:12 AM

I think I lasted half an hour and was bored.  I barely remember it.  The possibility exists that I was pissed at the time, but my recollection doesn't bode well for a second attempt.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 03:13:53 AM

It is absolutely not for everybody, but it has a surprisingly great cast just sort of fucking around and acting weird for a few hours.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aTVeJfzFCTY

Also this scene is even more funny than when it originally came out:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7J5FWEre07w
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 05:06:05 AM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 06:03:31 AM

Yeah, Scanner Darkly is trying hard to be faithful to the source.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 09:21:54 AM

I barely remember Scanner Darkly. It was kind of a cool tech and look, but yeah, trippy is about the only thing I remember.

Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 09:42:08 AM

Scanner Darkly is one of those rare occasion where an adaptation is trying *too hard* to be faithful to the source, and while that's a novel experience (*rimshot noise*), it's not what 95% of people want out of their cinematic experience. I happen to like it, and have watched it multiple times, but even I'll cop to it being incredibly weirdly paced for a film.

It's got one of the most hilariously lopsided commentary tracks I've ever heard also. You've got PKDs daughter who is sharing anecdotes about her father and the real life analogues of these characters, and you've got Jonathan Lethem, who is incredibly erudite and a PKD scholar, and Richard Linklater, who's generally interesting to listen to. And then you've got Keanu Reeves, who occasionally tries to add something to the conversation and pretty much everyone responds with "Riiiiiight. Moving on"
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 02:34:32 PM

I think the episodes "The Commuter" and "The Hood Maker" are worth watching out of this bunch. The rest are fine, though the talent seems a bit wasted.

This definitely isn't Black Mirror - the theme of how technology is changing us is less present.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 06:21:18 PM

These are largely based on stories written in the 1950s, so that's not terribly surprising. The negative ways in which technology was perceived as changing us then seem downright whimsical in the information age.

This show fell pretty flat for me, which is disappointing as a PKD fan.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Electric Dreams (Amazon)  
Jump to: