Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:07:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Godless 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Godless  (Read 2693 times)
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

on: January 12, 2018, 11:14:45 PM

If you like Unforgiven, Westworld, Deadwood, Lonesome Dove, and any good ensemble drama like The Wire, you will fucking love this.

Utterly fantastic writing and acting and characters.

Edit: here is a well-written review

« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 09:31:07 AM by schild »
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 09:08:48 AM

Watched the first episode. This is good.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 01:00:55 PM

I did not expect to like this. I did. Not going into a lot of deconstruction, it's a fairly straightforward "gunfighter redemption story" at the core, but manages to feel fresh.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 01:58:53 PM

That opening scene, though...

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 08:49:07 PM

Good in general, but it didn't stick the landing.  Nobody seems to be able to do that in the past few years.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 06:51:22 PM

Holy crap, this was 3/4 great and then the ending was fucking SHIT. I don't know that I have ever seen showrunners/writers/etc. more fundamentally misunderstand their own damn show that bad.

"Hey, let's do a Western where women are at the center of it because all the men died and the men who are left are failing and wounded".
"Wow, great idea. Can we have a kind of Shane-type guy though?"
"Um, sure. We probably need to deconstruct him or do something different, though."
"Yeah, eventually. Hey, can we have a magical Indian?"
"Why not? But do you have an idea for him that isn't just that?"
"Eventually."

Conclusion:
SHANE WINS EVERYTHING.
Women mostly die. Lesbians unimportant.
Magical Indian: Completely magical.

What?
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 12:26:22 AM

I agree. But the 3/4 great is so great that I want to watch it all again sometime. The writing of that 3/4 is incredible.
WayAbvPar

Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 01:14:38 AM

Thanks for the recommendation. Have seen this pop up in my queue a few times. Will definitely check it out.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Godless  
Jump to: