Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:55:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dark [Netflix] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dark [Netflix]  (Read 4634 times)
grebo
Terracotta Army

on: January 09, 2018, 01:38:27 PM

No thread for this?

First syndicated show from Germany.  Either mediocre dubbing or english subs.  I prefer the subs.  Decent acting, but the writing and plot is where it really shines.

It's a deep mystery thing about evil nuclear power, evil humans, time travel, and ?.  It's fun trying to sort out the mystery, who did what, what's going on etc.  Definitely worth a look if you like that sort of thing.  I'm currently on ep9 and hoping they don't totally bail on the ending like Lost.  I'm confident they will do ok based on the rest so far.

Why don't you try our other games?
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 10:02:21 AM

Watched the first few episodes.  Interesting so far, but the whole thing feels like a Stranger Things knock off, in German.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 10:07:25 AM

Watched the first few episodes.  Interesting so far, but the whole thing feels like a Stranger Things knock off, in German.

It's a totally different show and the two have little in common beyond missing kids and a small town. Dark doesn't have the nostalgia feel or period setting (most of the time). It's also less supernatural than science run amok.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 05:26:07 PM

It's a totally different show and the two have little in common beyond missing kids and a small town. Dark doesn't have the nostalgia feel or period setting (most of the time). It's also less supernatural than science run amok.

It's also orders of magnitude better in that it's not just a firehose of nostalgia without much else going on </unpopular opinion>
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 06:42:21 PM

I didn't really like this. I can speak German (my first language is English) so I watched it in German with English subtitles, after finding the English dubbed sound very poor.

A workmate recommended it, so I've struggled through the first eight or so episodes, following the story but finding it ponderous and not as good as some other things I've been enjoying on Netflix (Godless and Stranger Things). Its main selling point is that it's a fairly good Netflix series that is NOT American, but I'd like it to be among the best Netflix series, which I don't think it is. I'll finish it someday, but I ran out of dedication to it.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 11:46:46 PM

I also couldn't get into this and as for non-american Netflix series I've enjoyed quite a few of them like Marseille, Suburra and Stranger.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 07:21:10 AM

We're still watching this. Firstly, don't even try the english dub. Its phoned in wooden acting of the worst sort. The group that did the dub should be sacked. That said, I find it a great show. Its intricate, complex. It's sort of a Lost/Stranger Things show that's far more cerebral to be popular, but I love it just for that. Is it slick and fun and exciting? No. It fills you with dread. In other words, it's fantastic, in a Germanic sort of way.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 08:30:09 AM

Watched the first few episodes.  Interesting so far, but the whole thing feels like a Stranger Things knock off, in German.

I'm mostly enjoying the show, but like, the setup is almost exactly the same.   awesome, for real
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 08:38:02 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 03:52:23 PM

I think you have to enjoy unravelling mysteries and punching holes in things (there's lots to punch holes in here) to enjoy this.  Finished it yesterday, enjoyed it overall but it could have been better.  I give it props for being unique and daring to be really complex.  

Why don't you try our other games?
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 01:57:53 AM

I started watching this (first two episodes, german original voices, italian subtitles) and I'm intrigued. Needed a bit of reading after episode 1 in order to remember exactly who is who and the relationship with each other.

Yes, it has Stranger Things/Twin Peaks vibes; question is: is it going to be complex for the sake of complexity? Too pretentious like "The OA" Season 1? Don't know, but it has the potential to be a page turner episode turner, albeit a slow one :)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 05:25:00 AM

Trying to keep up with season 2 after watching season 1 over a year ago was fucking impossible.

I am the .00000001428%
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 06:17:53 PM

Trying to keep up with season 2 after watching season 1 over a year ago was fucking impossible.

I got about 15 minutes into the first episode of second season and went "Well, this isn't happening" and just rewatched all of season one again. I have no regrets. There's plenty of stuff in S1 that has more resonance once you've already watched it, and it makes going into S2 a lot easier.

I half expected they'd really fumble S2, but honestly, I think it might be even better than S1. We'll see how they stick the landing in S3, but this is pushing into being one of my favorite "tv" experiences.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 11:58:20 AM

Think I'm gonna give this a shot--I hear a lot of good things from people. Sounds like you really have to binge it all at once though.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 02:02:13 PM

Think I'm gonna give this a shot--I hear a lot of good things from people. Sounds like you really have to binge it all at once though.

It's one of my favorite shows of all time, but yeah, it's complex, and doesn't talk down to you. Unless you have an exceptional memory, or keep detailed notes, you'll benefit from bingeing it.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 02:07:52 PM

I got through most of the first season of this, then stopped when I heard the third (and final) season comes out next year. Mostly because I know full well I'd have to rewatch everything at that point anyway.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 11, 2019, 03:06:33 PM

I got a lot out of the rewatch of S1 I did above and beyond refreshing my memory sufficiently to watch S2. It's a show that holds up really well to repeated viewings. But yeah, if you have no interest in ever rewatching, just waiting for S3 to come out and the entire thing to be complete makes a lot of sense. Personally, I'm planning on at least one more complete rewatch before S3.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dark [Netflix]  
Jump to: