Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:06:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Get Out 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Get Out  (Read 2245 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

on: December 23, 2017, 07:12:47 PM

This is:

a) a great movie
b) distressing as fuck

But more distressing by far is the dumb nomination of the movie as a comedy by the Golden Globes. I get it, the Golden Globes is dumb as fuck anyway, but in this case, it really means, "We didn't watch your movie, black man, but you're a comic, right? So we'll nominate it, whatever" or "We watched it, black man, and so we're gonna nominate it as a comedy because it's hilariously silly!"

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 08:06:18 PM

“We’re watching a movie that challenges us to think about toxic whiteness and we can’t properly process it so it’s a comedy.”

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 09:51:14 PM

Horror is always under comedy because horror gets no respect and doesn’t have a category.

They didn’t put it there for laffs. This particular situation is not unique or weirdly, tangentially racist.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 11:13:44 PM

It's probably a little racist.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 01:12:13 AM

My understanding is that the golden globe people don't do the classification, it is the studio submitting the film. Also the golden globes have a history of the comedy winner not being a comedy. Studios submit anything that they don't think will win drama.

The Martian won it a couple of years ago.

It doesn't make it less problematic.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 05:04:53 PM

Just because it's the studio making the classification doesn't make it any less racist. Also stupid because it's not like the Golden Globes can't go "we really need a horror/sci-fi/nontraditional drama category."

schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 06:24:31 PM

This is a really stupid thing to be discussing.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 06:46:08 PM

This is a really stupid thing to be discussing.

Or in other words, it's Hollywood.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 08:11:22 PM

Anyway, it's a good movie. Maybe a great one.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 08:51:39 PM

I'm gonna go with good, rather than great. I think as a piece of commentary it's great. As a movie it's not something I'll rewatch often.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 09:47:20 PM

Based on Jordan Peele not having had any reputation as anything other than a comic, I think it's greatness is mostly in being completely surprised by how good it is (and also how it's not really a comedy). I agree with schild, good movie with great commentary.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 03:20:19 PM

Yeah. It doesn't have an extraordinarily original plot structure or visual style, so...good and relevant.

Made me feel very tense. Kind of like a bookend to "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?": the first was an optimistic drawing-room comedy-drama, the second a pessimistic coda to why that shit didn't pan out.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Get Out  
Jump to: