Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:28:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Avengers: Infinity War 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Avengers: Infinity War  (Read 63731 times)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #105 on: April 29, 2018, 08:43:02 PM

Isn’t any else pissed that...
Also, like, can we agree to stop spoilering everything after we hit the one week mark or something?  I know its polite to do initially because people like to look at the thread to see how people liked the film, but it becomes really weird to have a thread about about a movie where all the text is hidden.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #106 on: April 29, 2018, 09:26:05 PM

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #107 on: April 29, 2018, 10:08:01 PM

It's been 18 movies, why would anyone be upset?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: April 29, 2018, 11:43:41 PM

Isn’t any else pissed that the entire Marvel universe is headed for a reset button?  It’s like a bad episode of Trek.

It is more like a typical marvel comics crossover event.

Last couple of years they've doubled down on  making the movies like the comics. For good or ill.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #109 on: April 29, 2018, 11:46:57 PM

Also, like, can we agree to stop spoilering everything after we hit the one week mark or something?  I know its polite to do initially because people like to look at the thread to see how people liked the film, but it becomes really weird to have a thread about about a movie where all the text is hidden.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: April 29, 2018, 11:53:43 PM

Yeah, I think you're actually wrong on this.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #111 on: April 30, 2018, 05:27:52 AM

--Signature Unclear
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: April 30, 2018, 05:41:16 AM

I am the .00000001428%
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #113 on: April 30, 2018, 07:09:35 AM

Thanos is Space Deebo.

I stole that from twitter. It’s accurate as fuck though.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: April 30, 2018, 07:16:41 AM

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #115 on: April 30, 2018, 07:39:44 AM

After 10 years of movies? Knowing that the actors are getting a bit long in the tooth for the roles and aren't going to want to play them forever?

No, I'm actually not. I don't have a problem with reset buttons if the story is handled right. Most of them are used in comics and other shitty genre fiction because the writers are too lazy to write themselves out of the corners they've written themselves into.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: April 30, 2018, 12:09:02 PM

2 Ideas on the character resets:

1.) The actors have to retire.  Their visage and voice does not.  We have the technology now to make someone else look like the character and keep them going as ageless wonders.  RDJ's face and voice could be there as Stark for 100 more years...  Aging as slowly as he has in the comics.  Well, maybe not for 100 years, but until we kill ourselves off as a species.

2.) They don't want to lose these valuable characters.  If they do not do the CGI replace idea, they can have the character go to a lesser role in the Universe for a bit and then recast.  RDJ is an amazing Iron Man - but, just as with the comics or with James Bond, there can be others that fill the shoes and continue the character.  If they start Iron Man 4 by having Pepper killed and Stark go off the deep end into an Iron Wars storyline where the MCU is trying to stop him, you could see a personality swing in a newly cast Iron Man and have it both be a chance of character and in character at the same time.

Regardless, I think we'll 1.) either see RDJ as Tony Stark for 15 more years with less active roles as Stark and his action being more CGI/, or 2.) See them do an ENTIRE reboot to incorporate the mutants sometime in the 2020s, but have most of these actors in these roles until then.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #117 on: April 30, 2018, 12:33:01 PM

I'd love it if they replaced RDJ as Iron Man with Riri Williams as Ironheart, just for the incels and racists diatribes against diversification of superhero movies when the douchebag Tony Stark is replaced by a 15-year old black girl.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: April 30, 2018, 12:35:19 PM

It would probably be Shuri if i had to put money on it.

I am the .00000001428%
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: April 30, 2018, 12:39:09 PM

If they are opening up the time travel plot device I will just laugh, because once you open that Deus Ex Machina there is no way to shut it. DAN! Thanos saw that so he slips a fake gauntlet to his future self but Strange saw that so he slipped the fake with the real one so Thanos would have the real one and then i dunno Doom saw that so he...

Might as well just have the Doctor blast them with his Sonic Screwdriver at that point.

Hic sunt dracones.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: April 30, 2018, 12:45:24 PM

They already did that both in Dr Strange and in this movie. Time travel is how he got the last stone.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: April 30, 2018, 02:07:19 PM

It's comic books. They do it all the time, and it's not just about recasting--it's about how you bring change to characters who aren't really allowed to grow markedly older. It's the same thing the Bond movies have done--you're supposed to pretend that old sad Roger Moore is still young James Bond. Only once did they actually go with "James Bond is older, isn't that funny" in that weird Connery IP-lawsuit movie that remade Thunderball. It was disappointing with Trek because they could really choose to just keep having new crews of new ships in a universe that actually changes its status quo over time. With comic books, it's really inevitable unless someone decides that they really want to go ahead and have middle-aged Spider-Man hand over the mantle to his daughter Spider-Girl and so on.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: April 30, 2018, 08:11:55 PM

It's comic books. They do it all the time, and it's not just about recasting--it's about how you bring change to characters who aren't really allowed to grow markedly older. It's the same thing the Bond movies have done--you're supposed to pretend that old sad Roger Moore is still young James Bond. Only once did they actually go with "James Bond is older, isn't that funny" in that weird Connery IP-lawsuit movie that remade Thunderball. It was disappointing with Trek because they could really choose to just keep having new crews of new ships in a universe that actually changes its status quo over time. With comic books, it's really inevitable unless someone decides that they really want to go ahead and have middle-aged Spider-Man hand over the mantle to his daughter Spider-Girl and so on.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: May 03, 2018, 08:57:34 AM

Apparently, that last Spider-man scene was mostly improvised, not pre-written.

Spoilers in Link

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: May 03, 2018, 08:42:29 PM

Just noticed a continuity error:

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: May 03, 2018, 09:01:15 PM

Several promotional images from trailers do not match the movie.  Some with the Hulk in them are quite different in the movie.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: May 04, 2018, 12:28:48 AM

Is that image from the movie, or from one of the trailers?  Cause one of my co-workers pointed out the interesting fact that literally ALL of the promotional material for this movie (posters, trailers, standees, even an IMAX promotional poster that just shows the IMAX Logo with the Gauntlet Hand reaching out to grasp it) only shows those two stones in the gauntlet.  If it is from the trailer, it is possible it was deliberately edited that way to prevent possible spoilers about stone acquisition from leaking.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 12:30:32 AM by SurfD »

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: May 04, 2018, 03:27:56 AM

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: May 04, 2018, 09:08:03 PM

Is that image from the movie, or from one of the trailers?  Cause one of my co-workers pointed out the interesting fact that literally ALL of the promotional material for this movie (posters, trailers, standees, even an IMAX promotional poster that just shows the IMAX Logo with the Gauntlet Hand reaching out to grasp it) only shows those two stones in the gauntlet.  If it is from the trailer, it is possible it was deliberately edited that way to prevent possible spoilers about stone acquisition from leaking.

That's a good point.

-H.L. Mencken
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: May 05, 2018, 05:56:09 PM

I just saw this tonight, had a total blast. Managed to avoid spoilers too, so that's a plus. I'm still processing my thoughts on where 4 will go; I might post some more after I catch up on the thread.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: May 06, 2018, 01:18:35 AM

I'm kind of with Khaldun:

if at last you do succeed, never try again
patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: May 06, 2018, 07:23:26 PM

They managed the challenges of having such a bloated cast very well.  There was character drama and real stakes... and Thanos was about as 'grounded' as he could be.  This movie took on unprecedented challenges... and nailed it.

If you want to know whether there are any credits scenes:
I am curious how ...

I doubt MAoS will even touch it.

They did.

In fact infinity war was supposed to come out this weekend and pushed it forward 1 week early.

AOS this weekend confirmed

Following names the villain for this season. You should watch past seasons of shield if you skipped them post Winter Soldier crossover. Knowing his name will ruin your first watch of this season because you don't know who The Destroyer of Worlds could be till this episode.

There is no chance the what was shown in the 1st few episodes of season 5 will affect Avengers 4 but I'm wondering now how they will reconcile season 6 because the movies and shield have to play off each other on some level.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 07:26:21 PM by patience »

OP is assuming its somewhat of a design-goal of eve to make players happy.
this is however not the case.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: May 06, 2018, 07:27:31 PM

Ya, I'm surprised they are integrating it as much as they are. Will be interesting to see how things go.

-H.L. Mencken
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: May 06, 2018, 08:34:24 PM

I assume we'll see "the moment" on MAoS, now.  I just wonder what Luke Cage, Cloak and Dagger, etc... will have to say about it.

patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: May 06, 2018, 11:19:13 PM

I assume we'll see "the moment" on MAoS, now.  I just wonder what Luke Cage, Cloak and Dagger, etc... will have to say about it.

It's definitely happening.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: May 07, 2018, 04:57:09 AM

The Netflix urban shows I assume might do something like "It feels as bad as that night when half of New York disappeared" or something--a strictly post-facto passing reference. You're not going to watch half of Cage's friends actually disappear before his eyes or anything like that.

I really do wish they'd had one quick cameo scene of Cage, Jones, Daredevil and Iron Fist trying to help out in New York but not being able to keep up with the battle. Or alternatively, I'd love to have one of the urban vigilantes walk past Strange's house or glimpse Spider-Man in the distance, something like that.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: May 07, 2018, 05:13:12 AM

By now the movies have made it pretty clear they are never going to acknowledge the TV shows.

I am the .00000001428%
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: May 07, 2018, 06:08:51 AM

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: May 07, 2018, 08:01:39 AM

By now the movies have made it pretty clear they are never going to acknowledge the TV shows.

Acknowledge? No

But they did use material from the TV aos for the opening of Ultron.

It is doubtful they'll do that again for Avengers 4 but it doesn't sit well with me how much aos continues to riff off it and the implications on the show has no bearing on the movies inspite it being important.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: May 07, 2018, 08:40:10 AM

They stuck the landing with a high degree of difficulty, this was a good movie.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Avengers: Infinity War  
Jump to: