Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:01:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Avengers: Infinity War 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Avengers: Infinity War  (Read 63727 times)
schild
Administrator

on: November 29, 2017, 07:14:28 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZfuNTqbHE8

ok

now I'm excited for a marvel movie
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 07:32:32 AM

Needs more Ant Man, but I'm excited  awesome, for real

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 08:28:39 AM

Woah.  Looks great.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 08:53:00 AM

Oh yeah, defo going to see Justice League now.   why so serious?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 09:13:29 AM

Dear DC,

Suck it.

Regards,

Marvel.

That looks fun.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 10:22:12 AM

I'm really curious to see how the hell they find screen time for all of those characters, but I thought the same thing about Avengers and they pulled that off very nicely.  

My verdict: Fucking be there.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 10:32:35 AM

It's multiple films tho, eh ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 10:37:59 AM

Bad idea to take off Thanos' head piece. He looks even more goofy than in earlier films.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 10:47:22 AM

Pretty sure I'm one of 17 people in the U.S. that just doesn't care at all about the Avengers.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 11:54:38 AM

It's multiple films tho, eh ?

Two, but that’s been pretty well publicized and there are a couple other movies coming out in between.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 12:09:43 PM

Didn't see Hawkeye or Ant-Man, maybe not everyone is there.

I am the .00000001428%
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 12:20:55 PM

Surprise reveal: Hawkeye IS Thanos.  Weakest Avenger my ass!
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 12:49:58 PM

They claim the two films are now separate, but Avenger's 4's name is a spoiler for Avenger's 3.  Obviously, they're still related. 

My guess is that Infinity War ends with Thanos killing pretty much everyone and the survivors going into the wind, then the movies between 3 and 4  (Ant-man and Wasp / Captain Marvel) setting up the return of the Avengers in the 4th movie.  Ant-man and Wasp will likely be fairly independent, but I think Captain Marvel (set in the 90s) will lay the foundation for the group that will step up and face Thanos in 4 and resurrect the Avengers.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 12:55:54 PM

While something that sounds cool in the comics, just being able to #castmassresurrection on all the avengers in part four seems like bad writing.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 01:29:32 PM

I assume "resurrect the avengers" means reboot the group with a different (cheaper) cast.   awesome, for real  They're gonna need to clean house at some point.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 01:41:21 PM

While something that sounds cool in the comics, just being able to #castmassresurrection on all the avengers in part four seems like bad writing.
I assume "resurrect the avengers" means reboot the group with a different (cheaper) cast.   awesome, for real  They're gonna need to clean house at some point.
While some of them may stay down (expiring contracts, etc...), I literally mean that characters that are dead return to life.  They might pluck characters out of time, recreate their forms, or whatever.  Infinity Gauntlet is all powerful.  I expect most/all of the original Avengers (IM, CA, Thor, Hulk, Hawkeye, BW) to be dead at the end of movie 3 - but at least some of them to be alive at the end of 4. 

Bad writing?  It is hard to write a story with an omnipotent foe and not have sucky elements. 

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 01:41:56 PM

Yeah, they are replacing/recasting/redoing the legacy characters and their actors. I expect Chris Evans, RDJ and Hemsworth to move on to cameo roles at most for future Marvel movies.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 02:02:46 PM

Either that or this is how they'll do a recast--a younger Cap, a younger IM, etc., but still Steve Rogers and Tony Stark.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 02:26:17 PM

I think they were working towards what they did in the comics: Give us new versions of these characters with different characters inheriting the mantel. As that widely failed in the comics, I'll be curious if they go back to what they said while negotiating with Downey way back when: The characters might continue with new actors in them, like James Bond.

http://collider.com/kevin-feige-iron-man-james-bond/

I think they are nervous to try that route, but they have to do something. Tom Riley as Tony Stark? Or Riri Williams as Iron Man?

My vote is to get back all the rights and do a hard reboot in 2025 and resign this cast until then.

patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 02:48:29 PM

I thought Vision was going to die but they straight up showed why he should die in the trailer so I'm assuming they will handle it differently.

One of the heroes that normally would die will be permanently retired due to a severe injury or placed into another dimension and growing to have the significance and impotence of Dr. Strange's 2nd villain Doramuu.

Thanos in the comics wipes out almost all of humanity. Considering the placement of 2 Marvel movies inbetween the Infinity Wars I have to assume instead of strictly focusing on that Thanos alters reality and we get a timeskip that the Captain Marvel movie elaborates on how humanity was altered by Thanos acquiring the power to warp reality.

All of the following have death flags
Hawk Eye
Captain America
Iron Man
Hulk
Vision
Wanda
Thrax

The New avengers will be
Captain Marvel
Thor
Black Panther (sort of)
Dr Strange (also sort of)
New Franchise #1
New Franchise #2
Nebula (if she becomes more popular during the Infinity War otherwise some 3rd unheard of character)

OP is assuming its somewhat of a design-goal of eve to make players happy.
this is however not the case.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 03:22:35 PM

...Considering the placement of 2 Marvel movies inbetween the Infinity Wars I have to assume instead of strictly focusing on that Thanos alters reality and we get a timeskip that the Captain Marvel movie elaborates on how humanity was altered by Thanos acquiring the power to warp reality...
Captain Marvel takes place (mostly) in the 90s.  It could be setting up something or entirely independent, but I think it sets up something for Avengers 4.
Ant-man and Wasp may take place mostly in the Quantum Realm which would give them various ways to sidestep the impacts of Avengers 3.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 07:18:19 AM

This is all good speculation, and it makes total sense as a neat transition.  But I honestly wish they wouldn't do this shit.

Fuck continuity/world resets to death.  I know its painful for movies, but just cast somebody else as the character.  If Dr. Who can be successful, so can you.

I know most of the actors are going to leave, and changing things up for the 'cinematic universe' as everybody describes makes sense.  But I honestly wish they wouldn't treat the cinematic world like they do the comics.  Just have somebody different, and run with things, while keeping the essences of the character.  There does not need to be an explication for every character change.  This isn't going to happen, but its a nice thought. 

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 07:36:35 AM

Fuck continuity/world resets to death.  I know its painful for movies, but just cast somebody else as the character.  If Dr. Who can be successful, so can you.

Dr. Who has actor changes written right into the concept for the character. Until Skyfall a popular fan theory was that Bond was just a code name that a spy inherits along with 007. The comics tried doing something similar with their characters but were too heavy handed about it so it failed.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 07:42:01 AM

It's always going to fail.  It's always too heavy handed.  Just run with it and keep the fun character regardless of who is acting him, for gods sake.  I know Dr. Who writes it into the series, but lets be frank here, how that matters to the overall story matters very little.  They could just announce randomly in one episode "Oh shit, the Dr. looks like this now!" and continue forward with things without much issue.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 11:01:44 AM

The Avengers 4 sets all seem to be period piece sets so far, in photographs and descriptions. So I'm thinking the Avengers are scattered across time, or otherwise have to do something to recreate/reform their history. That screams reboot to me--it lets you end the movie with a completely new cast but have mostly the same characters.

Actually this makes me suddenly think that maybe Avengers 4 also features Kang or Immortus, though I can't say I'd welcome that, since I hate the character(s). And maybe the too-revealing subtitle is Avengers Forever.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 11:04:46 AM

Or just the Time Soulgem, because why complicate it further.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 11:48:30 AM

Yeah, certainly they can just smash the Time gem or Dr. Strange can do a kind of hail-mary move to keep the glove from being finished, etc.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #27 on: November 30, 2017, 12:20:51 PM

I think a war between Kang and Thanos would be a fun way to do Avengers 4.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 30, 2017, 12:36:38 PM

Per James Gunn in 2015, no Kang.  Fox has the rights.

https://moviepilot.com/posts/3262754

I suppose there could have been another rights exchange (like Ego for Negasonic Teenage Warhead), but that seems like a bigger deal... or, maybe they have a deal with Fox already to share rights and they're waiting to reveal it until after the impacts of Avengers 4 allow them to do a reboot.  Who knows? 

My best guess is Avengers 3 is a Hesit Film where Thanos assembles the gems and then obliterates pretty much everyone all at once, and then Avengers 4 is the recovery and final battle where Adam Warlock and the Avengers put him down.  There will be supporting bads in each film, but he'll be the only real major bad in both. 

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #29 on: November 30, 2017, 03:01:25 PM

Why would Kang be owned by Fox as part of the Fantastic Four rights? I don't remember him having more of an effect on FF than on Avengers.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #30 on: November 30, 2017, 03:31:23 PM

He's related to Reed Richards.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 30, 2017, 04:01:14 PM

He was kind of introduced in FF.  Marvel retconned a very old time traveling FF villain (Pharaoh Rama-Tut) and decided it was Kang, who was going back in time to gain control of Apocalypse.

Did someone mention shitty storytelling somewhere?

Regardless, it appears that prevents Marvel from using the character.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 30, 2017, 05:24:37 PM

The Apocalypse part of that happened way, way, way later.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #33 on: November 30, 2017, 08:19:09 PM

This is all good speculation, and it makes total sense as a neat transition.  But I honestly wish they wouldn't do this shit.

I know most of the actors are going to leave, and changing things up for the 'cinematic universe' as everybody describes makes sense.  But I honestly wish they wouldn't treat the cinematic world like they do the comics.  Just have somebody different, and run with things, while keeping the essences of the character.  There does not need to be an explication for every character change.  This isn't going to happen, but its a nice thought. 

I also think GotG kinda proved that Marvel can continue to make successful movies without using Iron Man or Cap. Also, Cap's and Thor's movies showed that even if a character doesn't start off doing Iron Man numbers they can build on it with the sequels rather than getting diminishing returns, especially if they get the right creative team involved.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 01, 2017, 03:52:26 AM

There's also an argument that you need a continuity reset from time to time in films precisely to avoid the tangled mess you have in comics. Look at a character like Cable (or really, any X-Man) at this point, and that's WITH various opportunities to reset or reboot continuity over the years. Look at Iron Man:

Been no-fooling dead twice.
Been turned into a teenager for an extended time.
Has had his heart repaired, damaged again, repaired.
Has had armor that was built into his body, armor that formed around him, armor he carried in a briefcase, you name it.
Has been a gigantic douchenozzle to every other hero but then magically got to lose his memories of being a douchenozzle and mostly people forgot it.

Plus with him and all of them, he's been around so long that either ALL of those adventures somehow happened in a ten year period or some of them didn't happen. Plus half of his Rogues Gallery makes no sense any more, because they are rooted in the Cold War.

I'm not sure the comics are well-served by having to vaguely pretend that all of that actually happened,etc.

It will take a while for the movies to build up that level of narrative crud, but they're arguably already edging towards it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Avengers: Infinity War  
Jump to: