Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:17:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: RIP Gord Downie 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Gord Downie  (Read 4723 times)
Stewie
Terracotta Army

on: October 18, 2017, 06:42:20 AM

Professional Forum Lurker.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 06:54:33 AM

To give you all an idea, last summer after Downie announced he had inoperable brain cancer, CBC aired a final live Tragically Hip concert nation wide. The Prime Minister attended live. There was a food festival in my town that day, and the organizers put up a giant screen at the end of the street and projected the concert for everyone at the festival. Estimates were that almost 12 million Canadians watched it, which is more than how many watched the Men's Hockey Gold Medal Game in 2002. I still have that concert on my PVR.

The man was an outspoken social activist and a hell of a musician, and his music was a significant part of my growing up.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 08:53:52 AM

I didn't get into TH until very recently (after the last show), but I was always aware of them, and of Gord. It's a sad thing....bourbons all around.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 12:09:53 PM

Jesus. Seems like he was just diagnosed the other day. So sorry to hear. Genuinely nice fella.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 12:34:26 PM

Yup that show is still on the PVR.  If you wanted to draw a U.S. comparison it's IMO like losing Bruce Springsteen.

Bye Gord :(
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 08:51:32 AM

Lord of the Rings Online has put a character in game to memorialize him.

http://www.mmorpg.com/lord-of-the-rings-online/news/gord-downie-memorialized-in-lotro-1000046082
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: RIP Gord Downie  
Jump to: