Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:22:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Dropbox Business Unlimited 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dropbox Business Unlimited  (Read 8062 times)
schild
Administrator

on: October 08, 2017, 01:57:39 PM

These buttheads require 3 licenses for their unlimited storage plan

Anyone happen to need unlimited storage at $240/yr?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 10:46:23 AM

lol ?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 11:47:32 AM

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 12:43:13 PM

$240 will buy you a 6 TB drive, free and clear.

Sooooo, I can't think of any reason why I would need to pay $20 a month to store data online.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 01:14:40 PM

Sooooo, I can't think of any reason why I would need to pay $20 a month to store data online.

12tb plex server? + countless other files? + never losing your music, memes, or po^h^h memes?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 06:51:47 AM

I don't think the "hard drive is better than cloud" argument can be won here.  I would choose optical storage if I went that way.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 07:23:13 AM

Yeah, not having to carry around a HDD means cloud wins for storage with me. I keep a single 1tb HDD just for large install files and testing files. I regularly install/ uninstall Autodesk products and have to swap the same files between multiple Virtual machines (and have no server infrastructure.) That's the only advantage to the HDD for me. Other than that things go up into online storage.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 08:02:33 AM

12tb plex server? + countless other files? + never losing your music, memes, or po^h^h memes?
Dropbox doesn't care about files of, er, questionable legitimacy?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 08:08:35 AM

I can't imagine why they'd care unless you started sharing them.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 08:24:52 AM

Only concerned about questionable currency.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 08:40:58 AM

I can't imagine why they'd care unless you started sharing them.
Fair enough.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 02:57:18 PM

I would not recommend storing anything SUPER illegal or publicly posting links to anything that's regular illegal.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 05:09:22 PM

But

But

But
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 06:45:56 AM

I would not recommend storing anything SUPER illegal or publicly posting links to anything that's regular illegal.

Shush. awesome, for real

schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 10:35:47 AM

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 11:40:13 AM

Haha, I was just reading through the coverage (I worked on some of this stuff) and reflecting on the fact that it's the exact opposite of what you're looking for (i.e. more features rather than more storage).   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 03:08:24 PM

For the amount of storage you want, you might just want look at something like AWS. Though your outbound bandwidth charges might get a little nuts, it would probably still not cost you much more than Dropbox.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 03:11:25 PM

Haha, I was just reading through the coverage (I worked on some of this stuff) and reflecting on the fact that it's the exact opposite of what you're looking for (i.e. more features rather than more storage).   awesome, for real
I'm not even sure who needs those features (but not more space).
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #18 on: October 17, 2017, 03:28:56 PM

For the amount of storage you want, you might just want look at something like AWS. Though your outbound bandwidth charges might get a little nuts, it would probably still not cost you much more than Dropbox.

I just looked 'em up because I was pretty sure you'd end up paying more that way, and sure enough AWS charges $23.50/mo for 1TB of standard storage.   awesome, for real  There's a reason Dropbox moved its backend off of Amazon.

To be fair you can probably pare those costs down by fine-tuning your specific storage/access plan and shuffling stuff between different tiers but at that point you're basically writing your own storage system.

schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 03:31:42 PM

Yea, AWS is not even remotely an option.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 17, 2017, 04:23:22 PM

I just looked 'em up because I was pretty sure you'd end up paying more that way, and sure enough AWS charges $23.50/mo for 1TB of standard storage.   awesome, for real  There's a reason Dropbox moved its backend off of Amazon.

To be fair you can probably pare those costs down by fine-tuning your specific storage/access plan and shuffling stuff between different tiers but at that point you're basically writing your own storage system.

Ahh, see I am not used to looking at their pricing scheme outside of the academic pricing we get.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #21 on: October 17, 2017, 04:45:58 PM

You can also get unlimited storage with Google if you can get 5 people for $120/year per person. So, pick your poison.

https://gsuite.google.com/pricing.html?tab_activeEl=tabset-companies
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #22 on: October 18, 2017, 05:22:41 AM

I'm not even sure who needs those features (but not more space).

Startups who want to LOOK like they're doing something but aren't actually doing anything except burning VC dough.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: October 18, 2017, 06:40:17 AM

Dropbox isn't a startup anymore. It hasn't been for a while. That featureset is just wheelspinning without a full understanding of regular OR power users.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Dropbox Business Unlimited  
Jump to: