Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:39:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: UO turns 20 and Raph writes things 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: UO turns 20 and Raph writes things  (Read 39335 times)
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #35 on: October 18, 2017, 11:00:18 PM

It's an old idea, been kicking around for some time actually.

And fine, not Smash TV per se. The point was "light easy to get into" in general, so think "light fun combat" rather than ponderous.
WayAbvPar

Reply #36 on: October 19, 2017, 09:52:25 PM

I want Mount and Blade combat.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #37 on: October 20, 2017, 04:54:18 AM

I remember enjoying the shit outta some smash TV, y'all some haters. Not saying I would want it in my MMO, but I have fond memories of that game spending hours mindlessly fighting off the hordes.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
schild
Administrator

Reply #38 on: October 20, 2017, 05:50:19 AM

I remember enjoying the shit outta some smash TV, y'all some haters. Not saying I would want it in my MMO, but I have fond memories of that game spending hours mindlessly fighting off the hordes.
That's because kids will play anything.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 20, 2017, 06:17:25 AM

Smash tv was always open. Kids didn't play smash tv.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #40 on: October 20, 2017, 03:11:36 PM

That's because kids will play anything.

It was an awesome game at its time, and today.  Unforgiving, but awesome.  My kids and I play it sometimes.

"BIG MONEY.  BIG PRIZES...I LOVE IT!!!"

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #41 on: October 20, 2017, 03:35:20 PM

Smash tv was always open. Kids didn't play smash tv.
It was a difficult game, as many Williams games were, as Cheddar mentioned above.

Edit: a
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 01:59:28 PM by Trippy »
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #42 on: October 21, 2017, 10:29:17 AM

Yeah, that was the very first arcade machine I learned to avoid as a child because it destroyed my limited quarter ration.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #43 on: October 21, 2017, 12:42:10 PM

Yeah, that was the very first arcade machine I learned to avoid as a child because it destroyed my limited quarter ration.

I was fine at Smash TV. Time Traveler can eat every dick though.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #44 on: October 22, 2017, 07:36:17 AM

LOL, oh god, I had forgotten about that game till you posted that.  I remember deeply wanting to play it every time I went to the mall in the city near where I grew up, but never got to.  This was because they were charging something rediculous like a couple dollars a play in the 90's, and I grew up a poor black redneck child.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #45 on: November 04, 2017, 01:44:34 PM

I was thinking Time Pilot, when you all were talking about Time Traveler and we would spend some time off from deployments spending quarters at the laundry mat on Smash TV. Great fun.

So Raph, who made J. Wilson's? I know it was a jab at the PC Gamers editor that called UO "Coaster of the Year" but was it suggested from a lower rank and LB gave the go ahead? What was the deal with Green Acres, Dungeon Doom (before the remodel), and how could making black dye from coal actually hack your servers/client?

http://spla.sh/bp/meet_gypsy_files/bone4.htm

http://www.imanewbie.com/main/mainframes.html

And the comics that came from the game, was an awesome ride, even it was crazy.

Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #46 on: November 05, 2017, 11:13:45 AM

So Raph, who made J. Wilson's? I know it was a jab at the PC Gamers editor that called UO "Coaster of the Year" but was it suggested from a lower rank and LB gave the go ahead?

I think it came from Starr. I don't remember who actually made them.

What was the deal with Green Acres,

The map was a rectangle. It didn't fill the rectangle, because we needed dungeon space. Dungeons were actually on the surface of the map, and you teleported to them. There weren't so many dungeons that the strip on the side was filled up. The open space got called Green Acres. Inevitably, it got used -- GMs built jails there, people managed to hackl their way to it, some folks marked recall runes there, etc. Not sure what else there is to say.

Dungeon Doom (before the remodel),

Drawing a blank on this.

and how could making black dye from coal actually hack your servers/client?

If you mean true black dye, it's because tinting colors actually looked up into an index of palettes -- they weren't single colors, but palettes of colors, color ramps. If you managed to pick an index that was undefined, you got back no color at all for every slot in the palette. The result, true black with no highlights or shadows.
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #47 on: November 07, 2017, 04:09:45 PM

That said, for the next one if I ever get to make it ... [SNIP]
What's holding you back?

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: November 11, 2017, 09:17:22 AM

I would guess "money" and "the market is utterly different now".
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #49 on: November 11, 2017, 04:35:57 PM

I would guess "money" and "the market is utterly different now".

Balls.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #50 on: November 12, 2017, 07:13:45 PM

That said, for the next one if I ever get to make it, I was thinking cartoony sci fi, with the ability to colonize planets. They start out wild including PK (frontier), and once you get the colony founded, you can set the planetary laws that remotely disable blasters. So each colony gets to decide. But each colony is only of moderate size -- probably 250 concurrent. But they are all linked into one seamless universe. And each planet has a unique map, unique resources, etc. Colonies can build up to be megalopolises, or not, as they choose. Can try to build little multiplanet empires, even.

Sinistar-style space combat in between. Retro arcadey for most systems. Smash TV for combat. Maybe even run in a browser. But full on MMO systems for social play, economics, space farming, etc. Maybe puzzle minigames for maintaining power plants and other stuff.

Anyone interested in something like that?

Yes. I want to fly to the player-corp-run multi-planet megalopolis in my tweaked spaceship with something exotic that grew on my farm, travel downtown and do a black market deal in a back alley, but they have a chance of policing me.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: November 14, 2017, 03:31:29 AM

Why the fuck did you link imanewbie again Huh

So many hours lost reading and re-reading.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: UO turns 20 and Raph writes things  
Jump to: