Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:56:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Equifax hacked 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Equifax hacked  (Read 14510 times)
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: September 12, 2017, 04:06:45 PM

Thanks for the links, Trippy.

Just put a freeze on my accounts.  I was able to do all of them online in about 5 minutes total.  Equifax was free, as were Chexsystems and Innovis.  Experian charged me $3, which is what my state allows, apparently.  Transunion I will need to call because they still are insisting I send them a copy of my dl and ssn card through the mail because they can't seem to sort out some address cock up they made. 

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #36 on: September 12, 2017, 05:05:04 PM

Can't decide whether to freak out about this or fall back on the fact that so many were taken that the probability  that my info is actually used is fairly small.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: September 12, 2017, 05:18:44 PM

It happened to a co-worker of mine and basically turned his life into a living hell.  It's been seven years since it happened and he still gets calls and letters from creditors seeking to collect on debts the criminals owe.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #38 on: September 12, 2017, 08:25:48 PM

https://www.chexsystems.com/

They helpfully have navigation to place a freeze from their landing page.  Equifax and Transunion were not working last night, and Innovis is sending me a snail mail?  Yeah, I did it for all 5.  Pissed because I already had Equifax monitoring.  Switched to Transunion for US (already had it for CDN). 

Unless you've never an unfair and random problem with credit (like a hidden traffic ticket sent to collections), it's hard to understand how shitty it is to try and rebuild your credit score.  And I can't imagine identity theft.  So, yeah freeze+++++ and monitoring.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #39 on: September 13, 2017, 05:39:12 AM

Did they somehow take care of setting all your autopay accounts up with the new card?  If they did that I can almost see it being worth it, because that shit is a pain in the ass.  I can't think of what other legwork is even involved with getting a card replaced.

Unfortunately my wife handled that stuff, so I'll say "I think so".  Mostly because I can't think of what else we would need help with other than that.  There is a large spreadsheet with everything we use the card for; and note that I keep using the singular.  Critical lines are highlighted, while the rest are things like Pandora and SiriusXM.  Still takes an obscene amount of time to manage it after a stolen CC incident.

Of course, after the last time it happened (January?) I changed as many things as possible to Paypal.  This wasn't many things, unfortunately.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #40 on: September 13, 2017, 04:22:42 PM

A few years ago I set up a credit card whose sole job is bills -- utilities, Netflix, anything that's a recurring charge and reputable.  Nothing else ever goes on that card, which means it never gets stolen (at least until somebody like PG&E has a breach, which I'm sure is coming any day now since they're running out of other ways to screw their customers).

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #41 on: September 14, 2017, 06:52:17 AM

That would be smart but I'm happy to leave the bill management to my better half.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Equifax hacked  
Jump to: