Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:09:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Equifax hacked 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Equifax hacked  (Read 14391 times)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

on: September 07, 2017, 03:00:15 PM

Fucking Equifax got hacked and possibly 143million people were exposed.

Whee.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 06:34:35 AM

Already frozen credit.

I also would never compare Paris to any American city, except perhaps NYC.  Even then, I'm sure the bread is better in Paris.

It is probably true that most American cities do not have a mass transit comparable to a mass-transity European city.  I wouldn't drive a car in fucking Paris, and I don't ride mass transit in the ATL.

Along the same lines, I can get to a grocery store in 5 minutes, but most good non-barbecue restaurants are at least 30 minutes away.  Any job paying north of six figures is almost certainly more than 45 minutes away, especially in IT.  It's a quandary.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 06:51:03 AM

Already frozen credit.

Do you mean credit cards, a line of credit or trying to check your score?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 06:58:36 AM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 07:07:57 AM

It prevents opening new credit accounts, which is actually great when you get a discount at Kohl's by just applying for their credit card.

Presumably the stolen info would only be useful for opening new lines of credit.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 07:40:49 AM

Christ Equifax's website is a load of garbage. I froze my credit long ago with no regrets.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 09:01:05 AM

Transunion's freeze site has melted down at this point.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 11:17:11 AM

I'd never even known a credit freeze was a thing. With the divorce, the ex's bad habit of terrible loans and obviously knowing my SSN I should have been doing it anyway. Equifax's site says my info was compromised so now I'm in the process.  Thanks, Yeg.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 11:40:49 AM

Make sure you don't forget your "identity pin" or whatever it is called. My mom had a freeze because of the Anthem thing and getting the freeze lifted was super onerous without it.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 12:00:15 PM

Yep, printed and filed already.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 08:00:30 PM

I'm pissed. I'm right in the middle of refinancing my house loan and can't freeze my credit until I close.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 07:48:36 AM

Whee.
I put a 90-day alert on my account.

I don't expect much from that, to be honest. Credit Card companies don't really fucking care to validate identity.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 08:33:00 AM

Whee.

How do we know if we were affected?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 08:52:01 AM

Are you an American adult with credit? You got hacked. 143 million accounts is pretty much all of their active accounts.
How do we know if we were affected?
The data now at large includes names, Social Security numbers, birthdates, addresses and driver’s license numbers,(...)

In some cases, Equifax says, the security questions and answers used on some websites to verify users’ identity may also have been exposed.
Rumor is cc account numbers, balances, etc are also available.
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 10:02:59 AM

wait

let's see Donald Trump's data
WayAbvPar

Reply #15 on: September 09, 2017, 10:30:40 AM

Good news is obviously no one in corporate America understands security so I should be employable well into the future.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 11:56:51 AM

Whee.

In a fascinating "coincidence", I received my first ever LifeLock spam snail mail today.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 12:03:01 PM

I have no idea why Symantec didn't rename that service after they acquired it given how bad a reputation LifeLock had/has.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #18 on: September 11, 2017, 12:09:21 PM

It has a bad reputation only among the internet population and security wonks.  The general public still thinks of it as a reputable, authoritative brand.

If anything, the 2016 election should have taught you that it doesn't matter what "very smart people" think. All that matters is what the rest of the hairless apes feel.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #19 on: September 11, 2017, 01:45:58 PM

Heh, I guess I need to google what is wrong with lifelock.  What are they doing other than locking your credit for you?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 01:47:48 PM

I just did the standard credit freeze thing.  I'm annoyed that I needed to pay for it, but being as I don't open new lines of credit very often it's really something I should have done a long time ago.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 11, 2017, 01:58:38 PM

Heh, I guess I need to google what is wrong with lifelock.  What are they doing other than locking your credit for you?

Lifelock is the thing that says that your SSN is guaranteed to be safe, they put the CEO's SSN on billboard ads as "an assurance" and he got his identity stolen the next day (several times).

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #22 on: September 11, 2017, 02:06:46 PM

Project Fi is sucky.

In theory, it should be great. Reality is it is not. I don't have that bad a service as I am almost always in Wifi or T-mobile. Problems happen when it tries to rely on wifi when the signal is too weak or needs some accept click security thing. I constantly get barely in range of the university wifi and it wants to use that but not able to connect because the signal is too weak. Tighten that up and I might be ok with it.

But yeah... it is sucky, but $30-$40 a month is what I am in it for.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 02:37:09 PM

Heh, I guess I need to google what is wrong with lifelock.  What are they doing other than locking your credit for you?

Charging you $120 a year to do it and the whole "CEO's Identity Stolen" thing.

Took me 45 minutes and cost $15 to do it myself. And I didn't have to go through a 4th party customer service when I had to start elec/ gas services in my name today.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #24 on: September 11, 2017, 02:39:53 PM

Lifelock is the thing that says that your SSN is guaranteed to be safe, they put the CEO's SSN on billboard ads as "an assurance" and he got his identity stolen the next day (several times).

Well... that's just stupid. Ohhhhh, I see.

As for $120 per year, I think that's fine if it saves me from doing it myself on all 3 credit bureaus.  I have more money than time.

Re: Fi, it's not just that T-Mo & Sprint are sub-par cell experiences on the best days, but the entire reason I considered it is the wifi calling.  Nevermind the quality of the wifi calls sucks, but today I did't receive a call even though I'm seven feet from my gateway.

Plan B is to install a VZW cell booster somewhere.  Not sure how that works.  If it converts cell to internet, I might be in the same boat.  The boat being where I do not get proper VZW signal inside my own home.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #25 on: September 11, 2017, 02:47:49 PM

As for $120 per year, I think that's fine if it saves me from doing it myself on all 3 credit bureaus.  I have more money than time.

Doing the freeze with the 3 bureaus took me about 15 minutes and cost $20 which as far as I'm aware is one-time.  $120 per year seems like a complete ripoff.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #26 on: September 11, 2017, 03:06:27 PM

Doing the freeze with the 3 bureaus took me about 15 minutes and cost $20 which as far as I'm aware is one-time.  $120 per year seems like a complete ripoff.
You should do Innovis as well.

In California the cost is $10 to unfreeze per agency if you are under 65. So it's $40 each time you need your credit unlocked if you are doing the normal freeze/thaw process. However TransUnion has a free service TrueIdentity that let's you lock and unlock your TransUnion credit report at will for free if you are willing to sign up for yet another account and put up with upselling on pretty much every page/action.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #27 on: September 11, 2017, 03:11:53 PM

Heh, I guess I need to google what is wrong with lifelock.  What are they doing other than locking your credit for you?
Charging you $120 a year to do it and the whole "CEO's Identity Stolen" thing.
They got slapped by the FTC in 2010 for $12 million for being a bunch of frauds and when they didn't correct the things they said they would from that action they got hammered for $100 million in 2015. Then Symantec bought them because Symantec has never met a crappy or ineffectual security product they didn't like.
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 11, 2017, 04:42:48 PM

You should do Innovis as well.

In California the cost is $10 to unfreeze per agency if you are under 65. So it's $40 each time you need your credit unlocked if you are doing the normal freeze/thaw process. However TransUnion has a free service TrueIdentity that let's you lock and unlock your TransUnion credit report at will for free if you are willing to sign up for yet another account and put up with upselling on pretty much every page/action.

Thanks for the tip I froze my credit 7 years ago so I haven't really followed the newer credit agency's like Innovis. Apparently people are also suggesting to add a freeze at Chexsystems as well.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 12, 2017, 01:39:29 AM

Should we be concerned / taking action if we are Canadian?  I get a credit report through an agency called Credit Alert (www.mycreditalert.ca), but apparently, they use Equifax for the score?  Not sure how that works, but is there a good chance my info might be compromised?

As a Canadian, should I still be hitting up all the same places if I want to freeze my credit? or are there different agencies I need to look at?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 12, 2017, 05:38:39 AM

I went to the breach website and found both my wife and I were affected.  So what is the drill?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #31 on: September 12, 2017, 06:42:45 AM

I'm sure it does.  I find that I do not miss the money.  Let's say that I've outsourced this work, for perspective.  YMMV.

This is in contrast to repairing my own generator instead of buying a new one.  I sat outside AutoZone working on it in the back of my pickup for ~3 hours.  This is preferable to calling phone support goons, for me.  I'm going to replace the magneto soon and see if it starts sparking.

I also repaired my old refrigerator after three tries.  OK, so I'm not 100% that it really is repaired but so far so good.  I'd rather order parts from The Internet than call people.

Then Symantec bought them

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #32 on: September 12, 2017, 08:02:54 AM

After some memory-jogging, Lifelock was actually very helpful last time my credit card was stolen.  I had forgotten that they were the ones that did all the leg(phone?)work for us to get everything cancelled and whatnot.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #33 on: September 12, 2017, 11:04:14 AM

Did they somehow take care of setting all your autopay accounts up with the new card?  If they did that I can almost see it being worth it, because that shit is a pain in the ass.  I can't think of what other legwork is even involved with getting a card replaced.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #34 on: September 12, 2017, 12:12:49 PM

I went to the breach website and found both my wife and I were affected.  So what is the drill?
Here are the basics:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2017/09/equifax-data-breach-what-do
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0497-credit-freeze-faqs

If you don't want to freeze your credit files right now you should put alerts on them. In addition to the Big 3 you may want to put in alerts or freezes at Innovis and ChexSystems too.

The other thing you should think about doing is making it harder to get access to your financial accounts, like, for example, setting up 2FA for your online accounts *and* your recovery email address(es). Unfortunately 2FA using SMS, which is the standard way it's done these days, is not particular secure (e.g. the NIST no long recommends it) but it's still better than not having it. I.e. it's one more hoop a would-be attacker would need to jump through (hacking your cellular phone#) and there are plenty of easier targets to go after first.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Equifax hacked  
Jump to: