Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:45:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Secret World TV show 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Secret World TV show  (Read 2298 times)
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

on: August 15, 2017, 01:13:24 PM

It looks like Johnny Depp's production company is going to make a TV show based on The Secret World MMO.  This might end up being good because the story and lore of TSW are by far the best parts of the game.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/johnny-depp-co-produce-the-secret-world-tv-series-video-game-secret-world-legends-1202148581/
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 04:54:48 PM

I'd watch the shit out of that.

I am the .00000001428%
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 10:18:21 PM

A good writer who understands the material + a few good actors and this could very well be my favorite tv-show whenever it's released (now to first hope that it will actually even get made).  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 05:36:49 PM

Secret world is not anywhere near as interesting as the boards here would lead one. In fact it's not really good at all, the bar for game writing is just garbage. There's no way this IP has any value so I'm not sure why they'd not just do Lovecraft as a universe.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 05:42:20 PM

I have always loved Funcom's lore, from Anarchy Online onward. To me, the lore is always better than the game. I think it's Ragnar Tørnquist's work that I like. I never got into this as a game, but I'd watch the TV show.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 10:38:05 AM

I mostly agree with Schild. I struggled through the game and most of the story/quests bored me.  However, the overall lore and setting was pretty fun, and I think taking the basic outline of major conspiracy theories being somewhat true, with all of them fighting each other, could lead to a pretty fun TV series.  Not much hope this will be that, but I'll grant the potential.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 06:51:31 PM

You're both wrong. The gameplay may have been a bit meh, but the story and the question of what would happen  next was enough to keep me going. The TV show would be awesome.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 04:13:27 AM

I thought most of the stories were largely empty and left a lot to your own imagination. This was because of the nature of MMO questing and how each interaction with the story could only give so much information, which you then had to fill-in with game play or breadcrumb to the next quest-giver. It had POTENTIAL but it was up to the user as an exercise to fill-in most gaps when connecting the extremely fragmented pieces.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 03:10:58 PM

What you just described is the Dark Souls and Bloodborne games.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Secret World TV show  
Jump to: