Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:46:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Deadpool 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Deadpool 2  (Read 13368 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: August 08, 2017, 07:42:13 AM

So the pre-hype has sort of started. They released the first images of Josh Brolin as Cable from Deadpool 2 and he looks pretty good.

Josh Brolin as Cable

Word of warning. At the bottom is a Twitter post showing an image of Domino on top of Deadpool. DO NOT CLICK THAT LINK. If the idea of Domino being a black woman and them NOT making her skin chalk white like in the comics offends you, you'll fit along quite well in that Twitter thread. Otherwise, stay the fuck away.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 11:52:51 AM

Cable's gun needs to be more ridiculous than that, doesn't it?
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 03:55:13 PM

That looks pretty shit. They didn't go with the X-men 1 style "realism" (aka black leather everything) shit but instead ended up in a terrible halfway point. It doesn't make me think of comic cable and it looks totally out there and ill fitting for reality.

Too scrawny, eye is cool, gun looks dumb, too steampunk not far future looking idk not my cup of tea certainly.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 04:35:40 PM

No Keira Knightly as Cable?

Meh. Count me out then.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 07:03:06 PM

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 07:46:59 PM

So the pre-hype has sort of started. They released the first images of Josh Brolin as Cable from Deadpool 2 and he looks pretty good.

Josh Brolin as Cable

Word of warning. At the bottom is a Twitter post showing an image of Domino on top of Deadpool. DO NOT CLICK THAT LINK. If the idea of Domino being a black woman and them NOT making her skin chalk white like in the comics offends you, you'll fit along quite well in that Twitter thread. Otherwise, stay the fuck away.

I'm not offended by Domino being a black woman but it is kind of weird. They literally took the single most recognizable visual cue to the character and made it a mirror image.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 09:06:39 PM

Should have cast Missandei.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 10:06:51 PM

I think Brolin looks ok as Cable and more importantly he's an actor who can pull off the role acting-wise if directed properly (then again he was Jonah Hex...)
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 10:23:51 AM

And he did a good job as Hex. The movie was shit, his acting was not, given what he had to work with.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 11:37:09 AM

I think they both look cool and also love the tears of fanboys. Win/win.

Just saw our children's librarian (who is a massive nerd) go on a fifteen minute tear about some IP that didn't live up to the books and they changed stuff for a movie or tv or something. Couldn't tell you what it was. And she was on about it for FIFTEEN MINUTES. It was hilarious.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 11:50:27 AM

Too scrawny, eye is cool, gun looks dumb, too steampunk not far future looking idk not my cup of tea certainly.

The un fucked-with version of the gun is pretty badass. They just decided to pop a wooden stock and grenade launcher on it.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 02:44:16 PM

Anybody who saw and liked the first movie should just cut these guys slack. It's as if someone complained that the version of Negasonic Teenage Warhead isn't true to the comics when she only appeared for a few issues in the comics as an imaginary character created by a telepath.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 02:46:18 PM

Negasonic is now a real character in the comics who can create her own reality and is running with Deadpool and the Mercs for Money.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 04:36:52 PM

Serious question, as someone with no comic background, if I really liked the movie, is the comic worth lookin into?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 05:43:05 PM

Pick your run of Deadpool *really carefully*. As the movie kind of implies, he is a sort of crazy-ass pastiche of very different eras and forms of story-telling in comic-books and he is often portrayed as self-aware of his own strange comic-book history.

Worst is when he's portrayed semi-seriously as a merc who is a wise-ass.

There was  a relatively recent run of his book where he was charged by SHIELD with tracking down reanimated zombie Presidents of the United States that was a lot of fun.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 07:07:12 PM

Heh, they screwed up Domino.  Idiots 

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 07:20:34 PM

There was  a relatively recent run of his book where he was charged by SHIELD with tracking down reanimated zombie Presidents of the United States that was a lot of fun.

Co-written by Brian Posehn. I feel they should always have a comedy writer on staff for DP.

Also the run where I got inspiration for my Deadpimp miniature conversion.

Actually, those storylines would make for much better movies.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 07:23:33 PM

Yeah, they sure screwed up that classic fan favorite character Domino. A character with such a rich backstory that even as a longtime comic reader I couldn't tell you a fucking thing about her.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 07:43:05 PM

Eh, I kind of would have liked to have seen original Domino brought to full movie form since it would (possibly) look neat, but as you say, its not like anybody really gives a shit about the character.  Though it is odd to change the visual look so drastically for a character who is literally defined by that look.  If they want to flip it, they should have painted her skin deep black, with the bright white eye, to get the same visual queue.  Does it still count as black face if a black person does it?    why so serious?

As it is, the eye patch look like shit.  Girl is hot though, so that can be forgiven.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 07:47:01 PM

Girl is hot. All the rest is meh, whatever. Paint her white or don't, I'm not that bothered by it.

As for Deadpool runs, I've read most of them recently. The first series is ok but really suffers from having been written in the '90's by Fabian Niezca(?). It's ok stuff but it's more grimdark with a pastiche of ridiculousness whereas the later books take a more insane, movie-like, self-aware and satirical stance. The last few runs have been good.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 08:04:59 PM

Ok, cool. Thanks guys!

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 09:06:49 PM

Yeah, they sure screwed up that classic fan favorite character Domino. A character with such a rich backstory that even as a longtime comic reader I couldn't tell you a fucking thing about her.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 02:04:07 AM

I find it interesting that a white girl with a black patch becomes something unholy when it's a black girl with a white patch.

No.  Wait.  Not interesting.  The other one.

She's still a goddamned Domino people.

I just want her to be kidnapped during the movie and replaced with My Dear Chair.*

*Yeah, no-one's gonna get that one...

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 06:12:20 AM

I just think the color choice looks weird, plenty of people including my wife have vitiligo so it's not like it would be some weird type of whitewashing to have the color combination the other way round.  Most likely it was more of a make-up and budget reason than anything political however.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 07:20:42 AM

I think we need to see the movie before we assume that this is her final form.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #25 on: August 10, 2017, 07:33:26 AM

I find it interesting that a white girl with a black patch becomes something unholy when it's a black girl with a white patch.

No.  Wait.  Not interesting.  The other one.

She's still a goddamned Domino people.

I just want her to be kidnapped during the movie and replaced with My Dear Chair.*

*Yeah, no-one's gonna get that one...
But the problem on reversing the colors is, the actress isn't black.  She's light brown.  Half ass painted on white patch on light brown skin just doesn't look good as a color combo (let alone not being a domino, since domino's don't have any brown on them).  The colors need more contrast to compliment each other, which is why I think the aesthetics sort of look like ass based on that photo.

Again, mind you, she has an amazing rack, which excuses all things  awesome, for real (and I'm sure she's an amazing talented young actress, yadda yadda).  Just think the aesthetics are off.

Edit:  Fixed Mahrin :p
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 07:43:26 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #26 on: August 10, 2017, 07:35:31 AM

<pedant>Aesthetics</pedant>

--Signature Unclear
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 10, 2017, 08:19:33 AM

before we assume that this is her final form.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #28 on: March 23, 2018, 04:26:48 PM

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #29 on: March 23, 2018, 04:37:14 PM

I generally know who Deadpool is. I barely know who Cable is, beyond a guy in Marvel vs Capcom. I've never heard of Domino.

I liked the first movie, so none of that shit matters. And it won't matter to most of the people who will spend money to see this movie. This shit is all "Inspired by" anyway, so it really just does not matter. People crying about the skin tone or "aesthetic" are fucking morons who should feel free to withhold their precious monies - the producers won't care, or notice the difference. And the rest of us can just enjoy a fun movie without nerds whinging.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 23, 2018, 06:49:44 PM

I generally know who Deadpool is. I barely know who Cable is, beyond a guy in Marvel vs Capcom. I've never heard of Domino.

I liked the first movie, so none of that shit matters. And it won't matter to most of the people who will spend money to see this movie. This shit is all "Inspired by" anyway, so it really just does not matter. People crying about the skin tone or "aesthetic" are fucking morons who should feel free to withhold their precious monies - the producers won't care, or notice the difference. And the rest of us can just enjoy a fun movie without nerds whinging.
+1. Trailer looked fun so I'm there. Fuck comicbook lore.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 23, 2018, 07:54:18 PM

Absolute best part was "From the studio that brought you 27 Dresses and The Devil Wears Prada". Fucking great.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 23, 2018, 08:45:17 PM

Not to mention that Ryan Reynolds and his crew actually do like comic books, and kinda nailed the first one out of the park.  Maybe give them the benefit of the doubt that they know what they're doing, okay internet?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #33 on: March 24, 2018, 09:45:13 AM

I don't entirely understand WHY they didn't make Domino's skin ghost white, but really do not give much of a shit in the long run. The first one was so good, and this trailer looks to just up the ante.

"LET'S GET OUR FUCK ON!"

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 24, 2018, 02:12:58 PM

I don't entirely understand WHY they didn't make Domino's skin ghost white, but really do not give much of a shit in the long run. The first one was so good, and this trailer looks to just up the ante.

"LET'S GET OUR FUCK ON!"

They wouldnt even need to change actress either, vitalago is a real thing my wife has it bad.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Deadpool 2  
Jump to: