Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 26, 2024, 10:13:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Gadgets, Devices, Things and Stuff 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gadgets, Devices, Things and Stuff  (Read 106637 times)
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #140 on: October 31, 2017, 04:08:35 AM

I use google voice on an at&t phone, for the last few days outgoing calls can't be completed through voice.  At&t fuckery again I suppose. Or maybe google is just shitting the bed in the southeast
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: November 01, 2017, 03:45:34 PM

Razer has finally gotten around to showing us what they did with their purchase of Nextbit, and their first phone is a pretty impressive flagship-level device.

I have no idea why I'd want a 120Hz adaptive refresh panel on a phone, but it's there.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
schild
Administrator

Reply #142 on: November 01, 2017, 03:48:21 PM

Did they reveal the price? Also not sure it works on fi
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #143 on: November 01, 2017, 03:51:55 PM

Prices start at $699 for preorders.

schild
Administrator

Reply #144 on: November 01, 2017, 03:59:37 PM

Hmmmmm this or the pixel 2 xl

I mean, all that really matters in a phone is the camera

Playing games on Android is just dumb
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: November 01, 2017, 07:48:39 PM

I'd wait on the Pixel 2 XL till they sort out the screen issues. That said, I've given up on bleeding edge stuff, been cut too many times! So I just bought a Pixel (1) XL last week.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #146 on: November 03, 2017, 09:16:12 AM

I'd also wait on the Razer. While some of their gear is spot on great (still use a 5 year old mice of theirs) they also have some really shitty products that clearly went through insufficient quality testing.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: November 04, 2017, 02:23:11 PM

I'd also wait on the Razer. While some of their gear is spot on great (still use a 5 year old mice of theirs) they also have some really shitty products that clearly went through insufficient quality testing.

I agree re: Razer products being hit and miss.  At least this time, they bought a company that had actually delivered a phone before to jumpstart their entry into the market.  I'm using a Nextbit Robin now and it's been a pretty solid budget handset, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Razer phone is pretty decent out of the gate - they're sticking to using largely vanilla Android, which is nice.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 02:25:01 PM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: November 04, 2017, 03:35:35 PM

Seconded on VZ wifi calling. It's fine. Tmobiles Wifi Calling is great too, but their coverage blows too much for me to use sadly, as they really are a customer friendly company.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #149 on: September 28, 2018, 04:16:31 PM

Raising this from the dead for recommendations on new phones. I have used iPhones for the past seven years and currently hobbling along with my 6+ now that is slow as heck. Looking at the new iPhone models but so damn expensive. I'm tentatively considering switching over to Android but worried about breaking up the family Apple ecosystem (kid and wife both are using iPhones). Does it ultimately really matter having the family split on platforms?

I'm aware I will need to do some manual transfer of contacts and stuff like that, but the S9 monthly payment is like $26/mo and the Note9 is around $33/mo. And the darn new iPhone is over $40/mo!! If you have any suggestions or recommendations, let me know your experience. I'm trying to keep the costs down a bit, if that's possible.   
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #150 on: September 28, 2018, 04:25:11 PM

Have you done the discounted battery replacement for your 6+ and tried iOS 12 yet?

There are lots of iPhone models to choose from right now, why are you (apparently) only looking at the most expensive model(s)?

What's the primary OS on your home PCs?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: September 28, 2018, 04:40:36 PM

1. No and No, but I will try it tonight I suppose. Regarding the battery, my battery life is actually still fairly decent. Is there a link between the battery and system performance?

2. I was only looking at new models to maximize the purchase value, assuming I got four years out of this 6+, I would like to get four years out of my next phone and buying an 8 or X won't be that much less in cost but may only last 2-3 years before the system software is 'old'.

3. The kid and I are using Windows 10; wife is MacOS on a lower end MacBook Pro.

**edit - I should say that none of us in the family are really using our phones and PCs together all that much. I offload my photos to Dropbox monthly. The only real challenge to the upgrade for me is setting up 2FA tools again and contact info.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 04:44:15 PM by Hawkbit »
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #152 on: September 28, 2018, 05:28:39 PM

I switched over from Android to iOS in Jan for two main reasons:

1. everyone in my family and my wife had iOS devices; so having the convenience of platform stuff.
2. T-mobile was having some sweetheart deal where if my wife upgraded to an 8 series, she'd get a free iPhone8 if I was bringing my number off a different service which I was. So we got her an 8+ and I got the free 8.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #153 on: September 28, 2018, 05:34:12 PM

1. No and No, but I will try it tonight I suppose. Regarding the battery, my battery life is actually still fairly decent. Is there a link between the battery and system performance?
Yes, iOS can throttle performance depending on how much life is left in your battery.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/

iOS 11.3 added the ability to change the battery-related throttling settings but you may want to get the battery replaced while the discounted replacement cost is still in effect (through the end of this year) if you plan on handing down the phone.

iOS 12 promised and delivered better performance even on old devices so it's something to consider if you don't mind the inevitable issues on the first release (12.1 should be out when the XR is available):

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/09/ios-12-on-the-iphone-5s-iphone-6-plus-and-ipad-mini-2-its-actually-faster/

2. I was only looking at new models to maximize the purchase value, assuming I got four years out of this 6+, I would like to get four years out of my next phone and buying an 8 or X won't be that much less in cost but may only last 2-3 years before the system software is 'old'.
Unlike most Android phones, Apple supports their older hardware for a very very long time (in mobile-device years). Based on previous models you are looking at around 5 years of major iOS updates from when the device launched. So something like the iPhone 8 will likely get major iOS updates through 2022 (launched September 2017). In contrast, something like the Samsung S7 which is only 2.5 years old is already out-of-date on the OS-side as it won't be getting Android 9. Basically on Android you are lucky if you can get one major Android update on a brand new phone before those stop. Even Google phones (Pixel and Nexus) are not much better as they only promise 2 - 3 years of major OS updates.

In any event the iPhone XR is brand new (actually it's not even out yet, have to wait till October 23) and cheaper than the XS and close in price to an S9 ($749 for XR 64 GB vs $720 for S9) if you are looking for something cheaper. Forbes has a good run-down of the differences:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2018/09/19/apple-iphone-xs-vs-iphone-xr-whats-the-difference-upgrade/#38525ed65984
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: September 28, 2018, 06:01:30 PM

I am still on an iPhone 6 (granted, it is a refurb only 18ish months old because I had to have it replaced when the  replacement screen popped off due to battery swelling so my battery is not totally degraded yet) and it still runs nicely. But it is 4 year old hardware and it is still supported by Apple. I have not updated to 12 yet because I don't like being on a .0 OS release with iOS but I will probably have to update next weekend even if the .1 or whatever is not out because I am traveling to the UK in 2 weeks and my carrier recommends being on the newest OS and updating carrier settings before using the international roaming.

I plan on buying an 8 to replace it in November/December and expect that to last me 3-4 years before I need to replace it (hopefully they will have figured out how to put the touchID sensor behind the screen and I won't be forced to use the stupid facial recognition).

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: September 28, 2018, 08:16:21 PM

Hmm. Lots to think about here.

Thanks for putting that info together, Trippy. Much appreciated. Also thanks to the other opinions, that was exactly what I was looking for.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #156 on: September 28, 2018, 10:56:52 PM

I'm an old fuck who can't explain all the technical crap, but I use an Ipad Mini and Android phone, my wife has an Android phone, and my kid has an I-phone. All on the same plan/network. We all also run Windows computers. All seem interchangeable at this point and we haven't run into any problems for the two years we have had this mix.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #157 on: September 28, 2018, 11:03:56 PM

Only thing I insist on with i-Things in my family tech ecosystem is that I refuse to learn how to configure them, so if my family members want to use them, they're on their own if they break. My advice is limited to "Turn it all the way off, and back on again."

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: September 30, 2018, 07:18:02 PM

The previous two major iOS upgrades seemed to slow my phone down considerably each time; on 11 the phone was becoming a real chore to use. However, 12 has significantly improved the response time of most things on the OS. If everything stays the same I might be able to stave off an upgrade for another generation at least.

Thanks again for the advice.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: October 05, 2018, 02:46:44 AM

Get a Fairphone.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #160 on: October 08, 2018, 12:50:59 PM

But the world isn't fair.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: October 10, 2018, 10:00:01 AM

I've been using the same iPhone 6 since around when it first came out and earlier this year was the first time I really started having a noticeable performance and battery life issue.  I paid ~$40 to have a new battery put in and it was like having a brand new phone.  It sounds weird, but it seriously made a huge difference.  It worked so well in fact that I went ahead and did the same thing on my son's 6s.   Highly recommended if you're happy with the old phone and want to get some more time out of it.

I'm also on iOS 12 now but I din't really notice a difference good or bad after updating.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #162 on: October 11, 2018, 08:05:03 AM

I've been using the same iPhone 6 since around when it first came out and earlier this year was the first time I really started having a noticeable performance and battery life issue.  I paid ~$40 to have a new battery put in and it was like having a brand new phone.  It sounds weird, but it seriously made a huge difference.  It worked so well in fact that I went ahead and did the same thing on my son's 6s.   Highly recommended if you're happy with the old phone and want to get some more time out of it.

I'm also on iOS 12 now but I din't really notice a difference good or bad after updating.

Same thing with my wife's phone.  iPhone 6+ and we put a new battery and iOS12 and it's snappy and responsive.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: October 14, 2018, 11:28:25 AM

Need some advice on a smart phone.  

1. I don't care about the camera.
2. I want it to primarily act as a phone.  So call quality, reception, and battery life.
3. Durability a plus.
4. I'd like to stay on the cheap end.  I'll spend more money if I see a reason to.

Looked at Asus zenfone and Motorolo Moto G6.  Suggestions welcomed.

Edit: With Verizon for connection quality where I live.  Might change, probably not.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 11:34:10 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #164 on: October 14, 2018, 11:34:47 AM

What size phone/screen are you looking for?

Whose your carrier and do you want to be tied to a multi-year carrier plan?

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: October 14, 2018, 11:37:37 AM

What size phone/screen are you looking for?

Whose your carrier and do you want to be tied to a multi-year carrier plan?

Never owned a smartphone, so no idea on screen size.  Like the idea of web access, GPS, and a few other apps.  Figured I should try it.

With Verizon at the moment.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #166 on: October 14, 2018, 11:54:08 AM

Motorola has really gone downhill, I can't recommend their products in any capacity. Asus makes good tablets, I'm on one now, have never used their phones.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #167 on: October 14, 2018, 12:07:56 PM

1. I don't care about the camera.

Huh

Never owned a smartphone

Ohhhhh, I see.

My advice, get the cheapest smartphone you can for right now, since anything you get will satisfy your basic requirements. Looks like Verizon sells ancient refurbished phones in either iPhone or Android flavor for under $200.    That's hopefully cheap enough that if you decide after a year of usage that you want something with a bigger screen or more storage or a better camera or whatever you won't feel obligated to stick it out with the old one rather than upgrade.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: October 14, 2018, 12:31:31 PM

Thanks to the both of you.  I'm actually a bit sad about giving up my flipphone, with its one-week-without-a-charge capability, but it's probably time. 

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #169 on: October 14, 2018, 06:59:57 PM

https://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/nokia-8110-4g

snort

edit: I have no clue if you can buy it or even if it'll work. but...
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #170 on: October 14, 2018, 08:30:44 PM

I made the move from a burner-type phone (that I almost never actually carried on me) to an iPhone in 2010.  Prior to getting a smartphone I would have said "oh, I never actually use my phone, so I don't care about any of these features," but once I got used to having a web browser, gaming platform, decent quality camera, GPS, photo album, video player, etc etc etc in my pocket, I very quickly wanted it to be as good at all those things as it can possibly be.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:08:00 PM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: October 14, 2018, 08:38:38 PM

I made the move from a burner-type phone (that I almost never actually carried on me) to an iPhone in 2010.  Prior to getting a smartphone I would have said "oh, I never actually use my phone, so I don't care about any of these features," but once I got used to having a web browser, gaming platform, decent quality camera, GPS, photo album, video player, etc etc etc in your pocket, I very quickly wanted it to be as good at all those things as it can possibly be.

I'm 10 years behind you.  I got my first cell phone (flip phone) in 2008.  I used to hike in the deep middle of nowhere with nothing but a compass.  Times have changed.

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: October 14, 2018, 10:38:23 PM

In some ways I envy your ability to resist the technology, because this goddamn thing seems to be consuming my life.

On the other hand, modern smartphones are literally miracles.  If you step back and think a little about just what they can do, it is nothing short of astonishing.  Does it improve my life in any measurable way?  I don't know.  It's a bit of a paradox.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #173 on: October 15, 2018, 05:20:58 AM

I made the move from a burner-type phone (that I almost never actually carried on me) to an iPhone in 2010.  Prior to getting a smartphone I would have said "oh, I never actually use my phone, so I don't care about any of these features," but once I got used to having a web browser, gaming platform, decent quality camera, GPS, photo album, video player, etc etc etc in your pocket, I very quickly wanted it to be as good at all those things as it can possibly be.

I'm 10 years behind you.  I got my first cell phone (flip phone) in 2008.  I used to hike in the deep middle of nowhere with nothing but a compass.  Times have changed.

And I thought I was late! I used to bike and hike around with a compass and paper maps. I still carry a compass when I travel. I resisted phones until 2000, despite being a journalist for a technology magazine. This was my first, and it even looked comical then:

I still keep to a low budget for phones and I'm still only on a Galaxy S7. It gets a real workout because I have the tech knowledge and I'm rarely without it, but compared with some people I don't live my life on it (no Facebook app, no Messenger, no Instagram, no Whatsapp).
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #174 on: October 15, 2018, 07:24:26 AM

I got my first cell phone (flip phone) in 2008.  I used to hike in the deep middle of nowhere with nothing but a compass.  Times have changed.
That's right about when I began using a flip phone, as well. I went to the dark side in 2014, no ragrets, smart phones are handy tools if you can afford them.

And I used to hike without a compass :D My general aversion to gadgetry provides me some enjoyment in my profession.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Gadgets, Devices, Things and Stuff  
Jump to: