Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:50:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Gadgets, Devices, Things and Stuff 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gadgets, Devices, Things and Stuff  (Read 106715 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #35 on: September 12, 2017, 02:19:54 PM

it looks like they actually did the opposite of decimated

*pedantry*
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #36 on: September 12, 2017, 02:51:26 PM

Looks like I'm holding on to my 7 until it croaks.
I will probably replace my 6 with an 8 in a few months once the initial release madness dies down.

I have no desire for the giant form factor of the new style, and I rely on TouchID way too much to want a phone without it.
The iPhone X is not that much bigger than the iPhone 6/7/8 (non-Plus).

iPhone 8: 2.65 in. width x 5.45 in. tall
iPhone X: 2.79 in. width x 5.65 in. tall
iPhone 8 Plus: 3.07 in. width x 6.24 in. tall

The iPhone X display is an elongated display/aspect ratio which is why if you just see the screen measurement of 5.8" it sounds like a massive phone when in fact it's not (iPhone 8 Plus is 5.5").

https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/specs/
https://www.apple.com/iphone-8/specs/
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: September 12, 2017, 03:04:53 PM

My 6 is the perfect size for me, I don't want/need anything bigger!

What I want is a damn iPad mini refresh to replace my 1st gen one for taking with me traveling to watch movies etc.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #38 on: September 12, 2017, 03:08:10 PM

What's wrong with the mini 4?
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: September 12, 2017, 03:16:56 PM

What's wrong with the mini 4?

Old processor so it will become obsolete in terms of OS updates a lot sooner, only available in giant storage size so the price is  too high compared to the entry level larger one. If they still sold a 32GB one for, say, $279 I would probably buy one.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: September 12, 2017, 03:25:33 PM

For now, it seems the iPhone 6S is the pinnacle of iPhone models. The 7 is OK, but no headphone jack!  Mob The 8 is a marginal improvement to the 7.

They wouldn't need to keep upping the processor speed if they didn't let the OS get so bloated with unwanted/unneeded crap.

- Viin
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: September 12, 2017, 03:41:58 PM

The headphone jack thing annoys me a lot, but I already have bluetooth headphones for when I am riding my bike or at the gym so I suppose I don't need it.

Honestly, I would be interested in the new model if it was not so expensive and they had figured out how to keep the TouchID sensor. I am willing to take a chance on no headphone jack since I rarely use it but I draw the line on no TouchID. I have to have a PIN on my phone for work and between checking my email and 2FA to get into things, I probably unlock my phone 200 times a day. And I am not interested in facial recognition as an unlock method under pretty much any circumstances.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #42 on: September 12, 2017, 04:01:18 PM

Looks like I'm holding on to my 7 until it croaks.

I will probably replace my 6 with an 8 in a few months once the initial release madness dies down.

I have no desire for the giant form factor of the new style, and I rely on TouchID way too much to want a phone without it.

I actually forgot what model I had. I have a 6.  awesome, for real

Yah, I'm not really into a big phone either.  Some of the other crap seems neat, however.

-Rasix
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #43 on: September 12, 2017, 05:54:31 PM

The only big phones are the pluses. The X doesn't come in a plus, thank god.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #44 on: September 12, 2017, 07:29:59 PM

I am just arguing with an apple groupy.

He saying iPhone X replaces DSLR cameras, I am saying, only for people buying DLSR as status symbol, else try attaching an a camera objective to an iPhone

People who don't understand photography have been saying that since 2009. You can safely ignore those idiots.
Yeah, I don't know man.  I spent a ton of time trying to learn my DSLR and take quality photos over a few years, lugging that damn thing around with me on trips.  Friend of mine got one of the 7 Plus's with portrait mode, and showed me pictures from a trip he took.  Almost everything looked better than any picture I've ever taken, haha.  I'm sure it cannot handle fun stuff like low light, long exposure, and long zoom obviously.  But if you can take that nice of a photo with your phone, and not have to carry around a giant camera and len's (which cost thousands).....

I may buy an X just for that, and stop bothering with DSLR's, if it does a good enough job.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #45 on: September 12, 2017, 07:35:00 PM

The wife's brother and sister are professional photographers, she's got a DSLR and the skills learned from her siblings to take some amazing pictures with it. I know I suck, so I stick to my phone.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: September 12, 2017, 08:54:02 PM

So when I was in LAX before my flight back to Melbourne I had a lot of time to reflect on my lack of headphones and the painfullness of what they give you on the plane.

And I had limited options available to address this, and an obsessive need to not get crappy quality things...

So I bought some Bose QC35s.

And though I feel a bit absurd for spending so much money on headphones after having and using them on the flight and for the last couple of weeks I have to say that I really enjoy them.

The noise cancelling part is nifty, though I'm glad the mobile phone app lets you dial this back in public, but what I found this part of the headphones best for was being able to listen to something in a noisy environment without having to ruin my eardrums - I won't use them much to just block out sound.

What I also really enjoy that I didn't expect is the wireless capability. It's especially handy when working with the stand up desk as I can move about without having to put the headphones on and off, and just less fussy to use with the mobile phone in public.

Battery life is excellent, really really good, too.

In terms of playing music they're obviously not the best around, but for general use they are still very good.

Does anyone have a trusted battery pack they use (aslo available in Australia being the kicker.)
schild
Administrator

Reply #47 on: September 12, 2017, 09:15:44 PM

I am just arguing with an apple groupy.

He saying iPhone X replaces DSLR cameras, I am saying, only for people buying DLSR as status symbol, else try attaching an a camera objective to an iPhone

People who don't understand photography have been saying that since 2009. You can safely ignore those idiots.
Yeah, I don't know man.  I spent a ton of time trying to learn my DSLR and take quality photos over a few years, lugging that damn thing around with me on trips.  Friend of mine got one of the 7 Plus's with portrait mode, and showed me pictures from a trip he took.  Almost everything looked better than any picture I've ever taken, haha.  I'm sure it cannot handle fun stuff like low light, long exposure, and long zoom obviously.  But if you can take that nice of a photo with your phone, and not have to carry around a giant camera and len's (which cost thousands).....

I may buy an X just for that, and stop bothering with DSLR's, if it does a good enough job.

This is why I pre-ordered a Light L16.

Which will probably go down as the dumbest purchase I've ever made.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #48 on: September 12, 2017, 09:35:08 PM

Had to look that up. So, it bruteforces the focal length and sensor size issue by packing 16 sets of lenses and sensors (off the shelf versions, 4 sets of 4) into a single chassis.

Well, yeah, that's one way to do it. Of course, it's also 16 times the failure modes....

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
schild
Administrator

Reply #49 on: September 12, 2017, 09:39:39 PM

If I didn't buy things due to some quantity of failure points, I'd own no technology whatsoever.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: September 12, 2017, 09:51:10 PM

If I didn't buy things due to some quantity of failure points, I'd own no technology whatsoever.

Welcome to my world.  I'm still struggling to understand why the majority of people think they need a smartphone for daily life.  I also own a CD player with a tube preamp and miss the days when I could work on my own cars with a computer diagnostic system. 

I have to confess that I had a completely different notion when I clicked this thread.  The things I see as "useful gadgets" would likely get laughs from people here.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #51 on: September 13, 2017, 05:04:03 AM

Let's hear some of them. My useful gadgets of late have been torx screwdrivers, a dremel, a 3D printer and a sous-vide wand.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: September 13, 2017, 06:05:06 AM

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #53 on: September 13, 2017, 11:19:52 AM

I need to get me a reverse star drive bit.  One day I might have to take the carburetor off of my new nemesis, the Briggs & Stratton GenPower 10.0 generator engine.

My wife is still using a iPhone 4, or something like that which is so tiny she can't read the icons on a map and we miss turnoffs.  The upside is that it is apparently Apple's answer to the unbreakable Nokia.  Thinking about going iPhone because I use a MBP all the time now.  I might be simply assuming that there are many conveniences which would go along with that.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #54 on: September 13, 2017, 11:28:58 AM

Welcome to my world.  I'm still struggling to understand why the majority of people think they need a smartphone for daily life.  I also own a CD player with a tube preamp and miss the days when I could work on my own cars with a computer diagnostic system. 

I have to confess that I had a completely different notion when I clicked this thread.  The things I see as "useful gadgets" would likely get laughs from people here.
That is not what I meant. I meant I don't give a fuck about points of failure.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #55 on: September 13, 2017, 11:50:45 AM

Welcome to my world.  I'm still struggling to understand why the majority of people think they need a smartphone for daily life.

No idea how representative I am, but:

Internet surfing, Twitter, WhatsApp/SMS, listening to music when walking/in train, getting notified of emails without having to check outlook at home.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #56 on: September 13, 2017, 12:08:41 PM

Welcome to my world.  I'm still struggling to understand why the majority of people think they need a smartphone for daily life.

No idea how representative I am, but:

Internet surfing, Twitter, WhatsApp/SMS, listening to music when walking/in train, getting notified of emails without having to check outlook at home.

Yeah, for me it's giving it a glance while I'm having lunch or whatever alone (my secret pleasure is Instagram, I actually really like it), use Google Maps and that's it, really: I barely use WhatsApp and, for example, I turn off my "last online" visibility (I tend to have a solitary personality and love my privacy).  

Talking about other brands...I don't know, a P9 Lite perfectly does the job, for example (I bought it for my fiancee, while I have an Honor 7).
---

With the rest of the money, if you are really into videogames, buy a 1080Ti instead of an iPhone X :P

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: September 13, 2017, 12:12:41 PM

Yeah: navigation, messaging services (Whatsapp + Wechat), checking out news updates on the Underground and listening to podcasts. Handy to have a digital camera at all time. Sometimes I even phone people. For a lot of those (barring the first two) I could have a few different devices but carrying around a digital compact, dumb phone and an MP3 player seems a bit much. I also have a SatNav when I'm borrowing or renting a car without one.

The new Google Pixels are coming out soon and have apparently also gone the 'no more headphone jack' route. I don't like having to charge multiple devices all the time so I really don't like bluetooth headphones, this is not a move I really wanted to see. I listen to podcasts a lot and I'd have to be charging the headphones and phone at least once a day. Also in gadget bitching news: smaller form factor tablets seem to have gone away. The market wasn't ever really there (or didn't have enough turnover) and so my crappy old nVidia Shield isn't really replaceable with a similar device. Which is a pain since I dropped and massively cracked the screen which apparently did something to the processor as well as it is now suuuuuuuuper slow. It's quite nice for web browsing or as a recipe stand in the kitchen, just sometimes I have to wait a minute or so for an app to load.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: September 13, 2017, 12:13:39 PM

Smartphones are absurdly useful. Maybe not necessary, but fuckin near.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #59 on: September 13, 2017, 12:20:15 PM

This is a tempting gadget: SETI-quality mass market telescope. One of its features is that it can upload its data to SETI so that they can effectively crowdsource some of their observation projects.

I'm told the price tag on the thing will be around $1k -- that's a bargain compared to the iPhone X IMO.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: September 13, 2017, 12:28:54 PM

Let's hear some of them. My useful gadgets of late have been torx screwdrivers, a dremel, a 3D printer and a sous-vide wand.

I'm tempted to grab one of these hiking chairs.

Weighs less than 1lb and folds into a pouch the size of a water bottle.  A blessing as I get older.

-  Mark Twain
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #61 on: September 13, 2017, 12:37:02 PM

Link?  I throw my birthday party on the beach every year and there are never enough camping chairs.  Being able to throw a half dozen of those things into a backpack would be awesome.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: September 13, 2017, 01:49:43 PM

Link?  I throw my birthday party on the beach every year and there are never enough camping chairs.  Being able to throw a half dozen of those things into a backpack would be awesome.

They are a bit pricey for what they are, but you tend to have to pay more for shedding weight on hikes.

Here's one example.

Prices vary widely by maker.  I've seen these chairs go over $100.

-  Mark Twain
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: September 13, 2017, 03:45:17 PM

Speaking of hiking, I bought an Aarn Peak Aspiration pack with some bodypacks yesterday.

I'm very intrigued by the concept and keen to see how it goes in my hike this weekend.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #64 on: September 13, 2017, 06:52:48 PM

Oh. And I got a DJI Mavic Pro. Going to the Maldives next month, looking to get some solid footage with it.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: September 13, 2017, 10:16:37 PM

I have an iphone 7, and it has a few quirks that annoy me.  The obvious lack of the 3.5mm connection being one, and the terrible audio being the other.  That said, the main reason I couldn't imagine upgrading it any time soon is because it is the first phone I have owned where I simply don't think it could operate faster in any noticeable way.

And Nebu, man, I respect your stance on things for the most part...but smartphones are like having the entire world in your pocket.  We gripe about the prices being so high (because we are spoiled), but these things are basically little miracles you can take with you wherever you go.  It won't be long before you won't be able to function at all without one, it already basically is like that where I live.  I'd sooner go without pants than I would my phone.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #66 on: September 13, 2017, 10:38:34 PM

Yeah, I pretty much use my smart phone for almost every conceivable thing now.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #67 on: September 13, 2017, 10:57:18 PM

My 6 is the perfect size for me, I don't want/need anything bigger!

What I want is a damn iPad mini refresh to replace my 1st gen one for taking with me traveling to watch movies etc.

From what I have read you will be waiting a long time as Apple is dropping the mini line altogether. I like my 4.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: September 14, 2017, 05:17:42 AM

For those of you complaining about missing headphone jack on the 7, there are cases that add the jack to the case.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #69 on: September 14, 2017, 06:50:09 AM

I'm tempted to grab one of these hiking chairs.

Weighs less than 1lb and folds into a pouch the size of a water bottle.  A blessing as I get older.

Have seen these, but haven't gotten into serious backpacking yet.  If I end up doing Philmont then I'll get one of these as well as a lot of other equip.

At the moment, my "phone" primarily does the following daily tasks:
1. Waze (welcome to The ATL).
2. Two factor auth for various things.  Both work and pleasure.
3. Communication.
4. Random data lookups.
5. Grocery list management.
6. Calendar and alarms for schedule management.
7. Photos + videos.  Related: Instagram.
8. Notepad.

Less frequent but useful:
1. Delta flight check-in.
2. Business receipt upload.
3. Look at home security cameras.
4. Pandora music.
5. Android Pay (got me into a toilet in a mall in Koln).
6. Read a book if nothing else to do.
7. Play my music over the house speakers instead of my wife's shit.
8. Find out that Danny Woodhead is out for the season.

If you give me more time, I might think of a few more.  The list grows over time, as well.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Gadgets, Devices, Things and Stuff  
Jump to: