Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:25:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Magic: The Gathering MMORPG 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering MMORPG  (Read 14551 times)
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

on: June 07, 2017, 12:54:39 PM

Looks like there is going to be a MTG MMORPG.  They haven't released any details other than it will be an MMORPG, and not just an MMO...and that it's being made by Cryptic/Perfect World awesome, for real.  I'm wondering if it's going to be more like the rpg parts of Hex or a full blown MMORPG like WoW with MTG characters and settings.

http://massivelyop.com/2017/06/07/cryptic-taps-magic-the-gathering-ip-for-its-latest-rpg/
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 01:13:26 PM

Cryptic? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH

No. Also, the "rpg/mmo" parts of Hex are utter shit like anyone with half a brain thought they'd be.

WayAbvPar

Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 07:59:05 PM

I bet they have guilds and double backed cards before Hex why so serious?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 08:41:27 PM

yea i'll play this

no i will not
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 09:27:49 PM

I will play anything.   Shame on me.  :(

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 06:19:22 PM

Looking forward to farming Slithers. Would be even better if entire classes were based ongroup buffs just like the minion armies in the card game.

OP is assuming its somewhat of a design-goal of eve to make players happy.
this is however not the case.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 05:22:11 AM

To be fair, if for some reason I wanted to make a dikumud out of magic, there are worse companies to hire.

They should, of course, be getting Cryptic - or anyone really - to build a not-terrible mtgo.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 06:32:53 AM

They should, of course, be getting Cryptic - or anyone really - to build a not-terrible mtgo.

Their trying to do that. Their answer - make it look like Hearthstone. Result: It looks fucking awful.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 07:15:29 AM

That's hurting my eyes and brain.  I take it those cards are meant to be moving or floating or something ?  Because otherwise, that's an abortion.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 07:26:10 AM

they decided tap means a 15 degree shift to the right

i'm not gonna say who is among management running that show

but most people at f13 know him
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 08:08:43 AM

Seriously ?  That's stupid.  And it looks stupid. 

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 08:24:32 AM

Wait, that angle is the fucking tap? ... the fuck? That is horrible.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 12:55:36 PM

Their trying to do that. Their answer - make it look like Hearthstone. Result: It looks fucking awful.

But they're not trying to replace MtG Online with MtG Arena, according to their official statements -- MtG Arena more a replacement for Magic Duels.

Though maybe they're hoping that they hit the right notes with this one & it will supplant MtG Online eventually.

Hard for me to see that foresight in them, given that despite the awfulness of MtG Online, there's still a sizable amount of souls handing over lots of money.

It's the same problem Hearthstone is afflicted with now -- so crazy popular, a pro scene, hard to ever see significant change or remedies to ills.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 02:44:51 PM

the same problem hearthstone is afflicted with?

hearthstone's ills are baked into the design, I really don't see them as the same thing at all.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 04:10:02 PM

the same problem hearthstone is afflicted with?

hearthstone's ills are baked into the design, I really don't see them as the same thing at all.

While Hearthstone might have more foundational issues it is immensely popular, more popular than MtG. It might be the kiddie pool of CCGs but it's the largest now, where MtG Online is on par with Shadowverse & Gwent & TESL (in digital space).

I meant more on the lines of when money is flowing in, it hard to be full hearted on change efforts.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 08:38:51 PM

wait, so a tap, which is quite easily denoted in realspace by turing the damn card 90 degrees, is instead only turned 15 degrees here *for reasons*?

but since that doesn't actually work, they then added that horrible curved arrow overlay which completely obscures the card so you can't even tell what it is much less read it?

I assume this was done because just turning the card 90 degrees would somehow be aesthetically problematic somehow? or do they think their coders too stupid to handle the math?

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #16 on: November 06, 2017, 09:51:17 PM

It might also be because the "cards" are now square(ish). Yes there is a header and footer to identify top and bottom but that could still confuse people.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 09:53:29 PM by Trippy »
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 04:10:57 AM

Wow, that looks crappy.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 05:56:56 AM

To be fair, it's not that far removed from Hex, Hearthstone, etc.  But yeah, that tap decision alone is cloud fucking cuckoo land.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Magic: The Gathering MMORPG  
Jump to: