Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:35:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Change my mind... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Change my mind...  (Read 5278 times)
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

on: May 25, 2017, 06:29:56 AM

Okay, so with father's day coming up I've told the wife that I'd like an Xbone.  My reasons for this mainly come down to EA Access and Xbox game pass.  I am conflicted about this, because everything I've read tells me that the PS4 is the superior system.

My current situation is this; I have a soon to be 6 year old son who I've given my old laptop to.  We mostly play Garry's Mod and Marvel Heroes together.  He's a schizophrenic gamer at best, and those two subscription services look like the easiest and cheapest way to keep us both entertained.  Am I drastically wrong on this?
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 07:02:15 AM

Well... Scorpio should be out by Xmas this year, if that has any bearing on your decision. I don't see a vast chasm between the two systems in terms of capabilities. PS4 might be a tad bit more powerful, but really... it's not a deal breaker. My decision came down to system exclusives (which are minimal if any) and which system more of my buddies are on. If all of that is not a concern, get whichever gives you access to what you want to play... of course that means taking a look at each system's library.

Also, E3 is creeping up in a few weeks so keep an eye out for those system exclusive announcements. Though these days, exclusives are more time delays rather than strictly one system.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 09:14:46 AM

I'm probably buying a scorpio. Hardware-wise, I still think I want a PS4, but for me it's about the controllers. The xbox controller makes sense to me, the PS4 one doesn't.

Also, my dad has an xbox and we'll probably do some online gaming.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 09:31:24 AM

Yeah, the controller is a big thing to me too, just can't handle the little PS controller anymore with my old man hands.

I've had an XBone from Day one, so I'm probably biased. The overall number of free games through Gold and EA is pretty solid though, without even looking at what this new MS service is offering. The only reason I haven't got the new service is a lack of HDD space on my day one machine. I tried an external drive, but its flighty at best.

I'll likely be picking up a scorpio when it comes out as well.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 10:58:59 AM

I replaced my PS4 HDD with a 2TB jobber.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 11:24:42 AM

I added a 2TB external which in theory is awesome. In practice, it takes a USB spot away and since the console only comes with two... well, you better have all bluetooth devices. Nice that they made the external plug and play... crap that they limited the USB ports (and they are only in the front of the box).

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 12:02:33 PM

I added a 2TB external which in theory is awesome. In practice, it takes a USB spot away and since the console only comes with two... well, you better have all bluetooth devices. Nice that they made the external plug and play... crap that they limited the USB ports (and they are only in the front of the box).
You know, they make these things called USB hubs that can fix that problem. I use one with my laptop, all the HID wireless nubs plugged into one widget.

--Dabe

--Signature Unclear
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 12:05:15 PM

The PS4 has many more and better exclusives and non-exclusives usually play better on it. The PS4 controller is not the same as the PS3 one and many people find the PS4 one more comfortable to use. Or you can just get a 3rd party controller that fits your hands better including one that has an Xbox thumbsticks layout.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 12:27:46 PM

If you own a PC, owning an Xbox just seems like burning $400 on something that isn't a graphics card. Or $300. Whatever, I don't even know how much it costs.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 12:30:19 PM

Persona 5, Last of Us 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, Gran Turismo Sport. /mic drop

Also, he PS4 Dual Shock controller is a thing made in gamers' heaven, aka best console controller ever. Finally, the games you get for free monthly with the PSN subscription are generally pretty good. I am sure I am not changing your mind, but simply put there are zero reasons to get an Xbox over a PS4 other than "my friends all have an Xbox" and/or "I am weird and I like the Xbox controller better". And yes, everything that is "exclusive" to Xbox is usually on PC too (or will be soon). What is exclusive to PS4 is really exclusive and often pretty fantastic.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 12:32:47 PM

Persona 5, Last of Us 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, Gran Turismo Sport. /mic drop

Also, he PS4 Dual Shock controller is a thing made in gamers' heaven, aka best console controller ever. Finally, the games you get for free monthly with the PSN subscription are generally pretty good. I am sure I am not changing your mind, but simply put there are zero reasons to get an Xbox over a PS4 other than "my friends all have an Xbox" and/or "I am weird and I like the Xbox controller better". And yes, everything that is "exclusive" to Xbox is usually on PC too (or will be soon). What is exclusive to PS4 is really exclusive and often pretty fantastic.
Love Letters Also, Disgaea 5.

Microsoft is doing that thing these days where Xbox exclusives are playable on Windows 10, so I'm not sure why you would get one assuming you already have a gaming PC (and if not, you should be getting a PC instead of either console #masterrace).

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 12:35:22 PM

My personal opinion is that, yeah, what Falconeer said.

Horizon Zero Dawn and Persona 5 alone are probably reason enough to get a PS4.
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 12:53:21 PM

You know, they make these things called USB hubs that can fix that problem. I use one with my laptop, all the HID wireless nubs plugged into one widget.

--Dabe

Yeah I get that, but now you are getting into buying more shit for a system that should have been designed a bit better from the start. Why they didn't include a USB in the back boggles me to this day.

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 04:07:14 PM

I get what you guys boosting the PS4 are all saying. 

Personally, I don't like consoles very much, aside from maybe some platform games.  If I'm doing solo gaming I'll stick to some strategy game on the PC.  What I'm looking for isn't an 8 hour long, immersive, single player experience.  I'm looking for something I can play some games with my little dude on for a couple of hours, tops.  While I appreciate that the exclusives are way better on the PS4, I think the subscription services on the Xbox have swayed me.  Thanks for everybody's thoughts, though.  I think bang for buck I'll stick with my initial decision.
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 04:50:15 PM

Personally, I don't like consoles very much, aside from maybe some platform games.  If I'm doing solo gaming I'll stick to some strategy game on the PC.  What I'm looking for isn't an 8 hour long, immersive, single player experience.  I'm looking for something I can play some games with my little dude on for a couple of hours, tops.  While I appreciate that the exclusives are way better on the PS4, I think the subscription services on the Xbox have swayed me.  Thanks for everybody's thoughts, though.  I think bang for buck I'll stick with my initial decision.

Why not a Switch or a Wii U? Nintendo's claim to fame is making family oriented games to play with your young kids. PS4 and Xbox are both oriented towards online play and single player adult titles. Check out the top 10 lists for the systems. Nintendo's are all titles you can play with your kids.
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 04:57:20 PM

eh

Yea

The answer is Switch or Wii U.

Or burning $300
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 05:34:46 PM

eh

Yea

The answer is Switch or Wii U.

Or burning $300

I've thought about that...   I'm leery of the waggle bullshit with the WiiU, and there's also the fact that used nintendo games never get cheap.  I need to look into it a little more, though.  WiiU prices might have dropped like a stone since the switch came out.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 09:43:12 AM

If you own a PC, owning an Xbox just seems like burning $400 on something that isn't a graphics card. Or $300. Whatever, I don't even know how much it costs.
I don't disagree with this. It would honestly be for playing Madden with my dad, and that's about it. On the other hand, that's worth quite a bit.

If EA would pull their heads out of their butt and release a feature-equivalent PC version, it would be a non issue (their old Maddens were year behind the console versions). My old original xbox was 100% for playing 2k football.

I don't really care about any of the PS4 exclusives at all. and lol nintendo kids.

I am still wondering if the whole 'everything for Scorpio will be in the Win10 store' crossplatform buzzspeak will mean Madden on the PC. That's all I want, really.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 11:05:50 AM

The controllers on the Switch are VERY WEE so you might want to consider that.  Had to order a adult-human-sized controller so I could co-op Mario Kart with the boy.  Even just using the thing solo, if you are touchy about your controllers then you might be very unhappy with any configuration of the Switch.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 01:34:46 PM

Personally, I don't like consoles very much, aside from maybe some platform games.  If I'm doing solo gaming I'll stick to some strategy game on the PC.  What I'm looking for isn't an 8 hour long, immersive, single player experience.  I'm looking for something I can play some games with my little dude on for a couple of hours, tops.  While I appreciate that the exclusives are way better on the PS4, I think the subscription services on the Xbox have swayed me.  Thanks for everybody's thoughts, though.  I think bang for buck I'll stick with my initial decision.

You're completely right to do so. Most people replying seem to have completely missed the point of your post and are going PS4 fanboi/PC Master Race bullshit. Yes, the PS4 is marginally more powerful, and has more (and subjectively better) exclusives. PC or Scorpio have more power, but don't fit your criteria. For what you're after, an XBone is perfect. Make sure you get a decent external HDD as well. I don't game all that much on my XBone (I generally prefer my PS4) but I've had zero issues with my external Seagate.

Switch/Wii U are lollerskates bullshit non-options.

Get the XBone and Game Pass. EA Access optional if you like the more limited number of titles.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 01:36:47 PM by Azazel »

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: May 26, 2017, 02:19:44 PM

the ps4 exclusives are objectively better

and he's buying the console for cross-platform games

let's not pretend this is some sort of console partisanship, microsoft screwed the pooch this last go-round.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #21 on: May 26, 2017, 02:41:38 PM

I agree with you that the PS4 is objectively a better machine. This is a fact, as bourne out by any number of comparisons on Digital Foundry and other places.

I agree with you in that I also think the PS4 exclusives are better (by a wide margin, in fact - since I don't care about Halo or Forza and have a passing interest in Gears at best). However, these are opinions, not facts and as such are subjective, regardless of however you might want to put forth your opinions as facts.

He's not buying the console for cross-platform games. He's buying it to play games with his 6-year old and for the library offered by Microsoft XBox Game Pass, which opens with 100 titles. A whole bunch of which are quality 360 games from last-gen. (When the 360 was objectively the better machine). PS4's PS3 rental-streaming service is poorly-implemented bullshit. $10/mo Netflix for games stored locally is a great deal, and offers enough variety for father-son play, kid play, and grown-up console play. Sure, he misses out on Horizon: Zero Dawn and Uncharted, but them's the breaks.

Oh, and re-read Falc's post and pretend there's no console partisanship going on here. Both machines have positives and negatives. I buy and play 90% of my console games on PS4 but it doesn't mean that I can't recognise the benefits each machine has over the other. External HDD support was a key one for a long time, and MS' implementation is still better than Sony's. Especially if you have multiple consoles (though that's relatively rare, I do admit).

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: May 26, 2017, 02:52:00 PM

back up

i legit had no clue what the xbox game pass was

now i do

still don't want an xbox, but it's a cute idea when your library is garbage

good news, six year olds don't care

get the xbox
WayAbvPar

Reply #23 on: May 26, 2017, 03:26:30 PM

Sony burned me on 2 $3k TVs, so I am Xbox all the way (Microsoft being 20 miles away doesn't hurt either). Just bought a 2TB external drive for like $90, so we can now fill it with games instead of swapping installs all the goddamned time.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: May 26, 2017, 03:37:36 PM

Sony burned me on 2 $3k TVs, so I am Xbox all the way (Microsoft being 20 miles away doesn't hurt either). Just bought a 2TB external drive for like $90, so we can now fill it with games instead of swapping installs all the goddamned time.

wat
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Change my mind...  
Jump to: