Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:23:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: RIP Roger Moore 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Roger Moore  (Read 6719 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

on: May 23, 2017, 07:07:18 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/23/entertainment/roger-moore-dies/index.html

Not a Bond fan, but still... definitely not a lesser celeb.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 07:35:23 AM

Sad.  Heartbreak

As a kind I loved to watch the Persuader on afternoon TV.
His early bonds were great too.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 07:42:10 AM

People laugh at him because of the slapstick that his Bonds turned into, but his early Bonds were really really good, and he was always fantastic as the Saint. Hell you could watch that TV series today, and enjoy it.

Rest in Peace. I always enjoyed watching your work.

Hic sunt dracones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 07:51:12 AM

He was the Bond I was initially exposed to, and yes, his later Bonds were terrible, but they weren't terrible because of him. He will be missed.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 09:21:52 AM

Octopussy.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 09:46:43 AM

Never blame the actor for the writing. Moore was fantastic with what he had to work with. It's a sad day.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 10:26:06 AM

I am saddened by his passing. He was my first and favorite Bond. Even with the cheesy humor, he still inhabited the character.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 02:44:21 PM

Taking all that into consideration and giving it great thought, I stand by my position.

Octopussy.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
WayAbvPar

Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 07:17:39 PM

Never Say Never Again was the first Bond movie I ever saw (that I remember). Until I got older and knew better, he was my favorite Bond  swamp poop

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 07:24:57 PM

Though he wasn't in Never Say Never Again.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 08:16:02 PM

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 03:20:15 AM

He wasn't, that was Connery. The title was mocking him for coming back after he'd said he'd never play James Bond again.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 09:21:56 AM

People laugh at him because of the slapstick that his Bonds turned into, but his early Bonds were really really good, and he was always fantastic as the Saint. Hell you could watch that TV series today, and enjoy it.

The Saint was a revelation to me when I stumbled across it. He was so good, I understood why he was more than qualified to get Bond, and wish his Bond had been allowed to be/stay more like that earlier work. There was also a film called Ffolkes (apparently "North Sea Hijack" in the UK) which I enjoyed him in as well. It may have been an average flick, but he was memorable enough in it that it still comes to mind 35+ years later when I think of him.

R.I.P.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 12:09:19 PM

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 09:15:35 PM

Love Letters

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 01:17:44 PM

Aww, I keep forgetting this happened and then stumbling over reminders. It sucks, he was pretty much my favorite Bond overall. My absolute fave was Brosnan in GoldenEye, but in terms of number of movies liked, definitely Moore.

The ridiculousness of it never really got to me too much...The first Bond I saw was Diamonds Are Forever, and I remember the scene where he beats a guy to death in an elevator, and swaps ID with him. The lift stops and the Femmy Fataley searches him for it, finds it, and exclaims 'Do you know who you killed? You killed James Bond!' I remember wondering, "Heeeeyyy, isn't he supposed to be a *secret* agent? How does SHE know which way they're going?!" I was never fussed about Connery Bond (heresy or not) so I didn't watch any more, but when I got into the Moore ones my mindset was that shit like battling steel-toothed giants in space or stopping Christopher Walken from blowing up Silicon Valley or getting alerted that his contact in India is there when he clues Bond in by PLAYING HIS FUCKING THEME MUSIC was just par for the course, and got along with it fine.

I didn't even realize until I saw GoldenEye and felt like Brosnan and Seen Been could actually kick your ass, maybe, that I realized that the earlier ones were a bit unecessarily goofy. Still my favs, though.

R.I.P. :(

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
WayAbvPar

Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 03:01:49 PM

He wasn't, that was Connery. The title was mocking him for coming back after he'd said he'd never play James Bond again.
You're right- I think I was thinking of For Your Eyes Only. Looking at the timeline, that fits the age I remember.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 05:12:30 AM

Spy Who Loved Me is still genuinely good and fun. If they could have stayed in that wheelhouse he'd have gotten a lot more credit for his Bond.

He's also actually closer to the role as originally written in some ways than any other.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: RIP Roger Moore  
Jump to: