Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:29:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance  (Read 3798 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

on: May 18, 2017, 08:41:25 AM

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/jim-henson-prequel-series-dark-crystal-age-resistance-set-at-netflix-1005033

THIS IS HAPPENING!

#pleasedontfuckthisup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGzVYyV_Jsg

The 10-episode fantasy adventure show will take place many years before the events of Jim Henson's 1982 film.
A The Dark Crystal prequel series is coming to Netflix.

The streamer has ordered 10 episodes of The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, an 80s fantasy adventure show from The Jim Henson Company, set to debut later in 2017. It will take place many years before the events of the 1982 film.

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance is set in the world of Thra with an all new adventure. When three Gelfling discover the horrifying secret behind the Skeksis’ power, they set out on an epic journey to ignite the fires of rebellion and save their world. The series will be shot in the U.K., and will star an ensemble of creatures created by Jim Henson’s Creature Shop and Brian Froud, the original feature’s conceptual designer.

The series be produced by The Jim Henson Company and executive produced by Letterier, Lisa Henson and Halle Stanford. Longtime Henson collaborator Rita Peruggi will serve as a producer and Henson’s Blanca Lista will serve as a co-executive producer. Feature film director Louis Leterrier (Now You See Me) will directive series and also serve as an executive producer, while Jeffrey Addiss and Will Matthews (Life in a Year), and Javier Grillo-Marxuach (Lost) will pen the script and serve as co-executive producers.

“The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance will combine the art of puppetry perfected by The Jim Henson Company, with Louis’ vision, powerful storytelling and a mix of cutting-edge digital imagery and visual effects,” said Cindy Holland, vice president of original content at Netflix. “I can’t wait for families around the world to see how we bring these unique characters to life.”

“Louis Leterrier is passionate about the world of The Dark Crystal and has an incredible creative vision for the series.  He brings this passion to every facet of the production as he leads the talented team of artists and writers that are bringing this entire universe to life,” added Lisa Henson, CEO of The Jim Henson Company.  "Netflix has a deep respect for my father's original work and the many people it inspired. They are the perfect partners to create this next epic chapter in The Dark Crystal story for new fans and the loyal fans who have waited so long for more adventures from this world."

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 11:35:32 AM

I need to forget I ever saw or heard of this and be surprised when I see it on netflix.  The hype in my mind this could generate is dangerous to my very existence.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 12:23:55 PM

If they fuck this up, I will burn shit.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 12:50:27 PM

Yup.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 03:23:57 PM

Giggity... DRILLING AND MANLINESS

but yeah, probably won't live up to expectations.

(Dark Crystal was the first movie I ever saw in a theater)

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 03:28:43 PM

Are they using creepy muppets?  It won't feel like Dark Crystal without creepy muppets.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 03:34:17 PM

Are they using creepy muppets?  It won't feel like Dark Crystal without creepy muppets.

It's being made by the Henson company and a lot of people who worked/wrote the original.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 04:50:14 PM

Muppets + current gen graphics.

(Insert demand for moar Farscape here)

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 06:58:38 PM

Foarscape

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 07:51:11 AM

I don't remember anything about the movie other than I was terrified by it, and not just of the bad guys.

I am the .00000001428%
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 08:34:21 AM

Never saw it back in the 80s -- watched it with my wife (who had forgotten almost everything) last year for the first time.  The puppets were technically impressive but very offputting to both of us.  I guess this is one of those things that isn't very exciting if you don't have childhood nostalgia for it.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 09:35:41 AM

Similarly, I saw it in college and didn't really find it memorable (late aughties; it was presented to me as being "like Labyrinth" so my expectations bar was set pretty high). My curiosity is piqued though - I'm still basically the target demographic (let's face it, "campy retro puppet adventure" describes a premise aimed more at millennial hipsters than at people old enough to have really appreciated the original), and I'll have the advantage of not caring that they didn't preserve the particular look/feel/attitude of the original.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 10:11:18 AM

I don't know if I would use the word "campy" to describe The Dark Crystal.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 10:15:09 AM

Skeksis were terrifying to my 9 year old self... so maybe campy to older kids, but to me... that was evil personified.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 12:10:10 PM

Like Star Wars - it was innovative at the time, but others have copied or improved upon what it did right so now it seems less impressive.  But for the time - amazing.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 01:05:25 AM

My friend has the opportunity to date a relative Gelfling and I pick at him every day for it.  What an ass.  "She looks like a Gelfling!"  She is worthy just for that.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance  
Jump to: