Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:55:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: 3D Printers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3D Printers  (Read 4245 times)
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

on: May 16, 2017, 11:43:02 AM

So I'm one day in to building this: https://www.3dprintersonlinestore.com/diy-kit/flsun-3d/flsun-3d-metal-frame-prusa-i3-diy-kit

Just thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone was curious. Company seems pretty good. Free shipping, arrived in five days from Hong Kong.
After 3 hours of unpacking and bolting things together, I'm on page 36 of the 136 page assembly manual.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 03:18:22 PM

What are you going to be making with that thing?
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 03:53:52 PM

What are you going to be making with that thing?

replacement parts for his cheap 3d printer
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 04:25:37 PM

Heartily wish encouragement.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 07:13:19 PM

The "english" throughout the manual is entertaining.

Its pretty much just a toy to fiddle with. Building it will be half the fun. And I'll never run out of soap dishes. At ~ $700 Cdn for a standard entry level printer, figured I'd never bother, but at $300 for this one, I figured the build itself would be worth while.

The inspiration to buy it came after they picked up one at work as a reward for some corporate thing we'd done. Everyone gets a turn, that sort of thing. Figured I'd try printing out a model kit for a Fallout Laser Pistol. 52 parts.
Realized it would be 2019 before my turn had come around 52 times.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 07:56:35 PM

I figure at some point some trendtard will hook us up with some 'maker space' dough and I'll get some toys.

I could probably make it happen if I gave the slightest shit about bandwagon tech. I'm more of a 'wait until the tech is perfected and cheap' kinda guy.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 08:16:19 PM

Friend of mine got a 3D printer a few years back and it's out of commision about 90% of the time because apparently they're fiddly as fuck and break down every dozen prints or so.  They've probably gotten better since then but for now I'm pretty content just ordering stuff on Shapeways as needed.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 10:25:25 PM

I have a MonoPrice Mini printer, and while it does print OK it is fiddly and parts break or the settings aren't perfect - you spend a lot of time printing a part, tweaking it (print settings or nozzle cooling, etc) and printing it again until you get it the way you want it.

But it is a fun toy, I mostly use it to make random odd things that are dead simple in SolidWorks. Or print models already made available. But not that often.

- Viin
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 05:36:36 AM

Friend of mine got a 3D printer a few years back and it's out of commision about 90% of the time because apparently they're fiddly as fuck and break down every dozen prints or so.  They've probably gotten better since then but for now I'm pretty content just ordering stuff on Shapeways as needed.

Depends on how much money you have to throw at it. I go to a workshop space every Wednesday night and my buddy who runs it bought a 3d printer late last year to do prototypes for his resin casting.  His works great but it's bulkier than Bunk's with a little bit bigger table (but not much) and cost him $500+.  It's down about 30-40% of the time, but he's been upgrading parts to prevent that (typically fans or nozzles, the pulleys and motors are all pretty solid.)

The professional grade machines are solid and work great. I'm amused at hearing them called "bandwagon tech" since they're not. They've only just gotten to the point they're reasonable to work with and affordable so people are buying and using them. Hell, my company just won an award for our bio-printer. We've been getting close to printing goddamn human hearts. It's crazy.
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/new-3d-bioprinter-to-reproduce-human-organs/
http://www.lifesciences.solutions/bioprinters.html

Some of the wilder claims like, "Everyone will be able to make their own things whenever!" are hype. However for professional and research uses they are NOT toys or bandwagon tech. You guys sound like people poo-poohing the PC in the late 70's.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 05:57:50 AM

Friend of mine got a 3D printer a few years back and it's out of commision about 90% of the time because apparently they're fiddly as fuck and break down every dozen prints or so.  They've probably gotten better since then but for now I'm pretty content just ordering stuff on Shapeways as needed.
Yeah. They're PRINTERS. Breaking down and being the bane of IT existence is their identity.

PC LOAD LETTER BITCH
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: 3D Printers  
Jump to: