Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:52:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: 13 Reasons Why 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 13 Reasons Why  (Read 2898 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

on: May 13, 2017, 11:04:17 PM

Netflix. It is a suicide story that inserts a bit of Veronica Mars. The acting is generally good, the overall mystery is interesting (but a bit predictable), and it was filmed near where I live in Northern California. Not that that last part matters to you, but it was odd seeing familiar places on the show.

While the story moves at a reasonable pace, theRe is an infuriating story mechanic that a character drags out an insanely long time to facilitate the story taking so long. I did not read the book the show is based upon, but even if the book did it this way, it doesn't work on film.
Worth a watch. No perfect, but worth a watch. I have a feeling one or two of the stars will go on to bigger things. The leading lady is really good in several episodes, despite a few inconsistencies in who her character is.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 10:01:13 AM

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 10:40:07 AM

This is the series that consulted many suicide experts and did the opposite of what they recommended in order to not glamorize or otherwise induce on-the-edge teens into suicide. I refuse to watch for that reason alone.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 12:09:27 PM

This is the series that consulted many suicide experts and did the opposite of what they recommended in order to not glamorize or otherwise induce on-the-edge teens into suicide. I refuse to watch for that reason alone.
So you wanted them to glamorize and encourage teen suicide?  Given the teens I know, I think we're on the same page.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 12:36:26 PM

My wife binged this over a weekend and I heard some of it from the other room. It sounded good and she certainly thought the ending was pretty powerful.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 01:22:53 PM

So you wanted them to glamorize and encourage teen suicide?  Given the teens I know, I think we're on the same page.

No. Your reading comprehension lacks.

Suicide experts said: Don't portray her as the heroine. It will glamorize her death. 
The show did.

SE: Don't show the suicide. It will REALLY glamorize things and there's plenty of research showing that exposure makes vulnerable teens even more vulnerable.
The show did anyway.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/04/14/the-problem-with-how-13-reasons-why-treats-suicide/?utm_term=.b473916f5e4a
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/879606
http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/25/health/13-reasons-why-teen-suicide-debate-explainer/

"Suicide contagion" describes when exposure to suicide within a family, within a group of friends or through the media may be associated with an increase in suicidal behaviors, according to the US Department of Health and Human Services.
Among 12- to 13-year-olds, being exposed to a classmate's suicide was associated with being five times more likely to have suicidal thoughts, according to a study published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal (PDF) in 2013.
The risk of suicide contagion and copycat behavior is one of mental health experts' leading causes of concern tied to "13 Reasons Why."
"Research shows that exposure to another person's suicide, or to graphic or sensationalized accounts of death, can be one of the many risk factors that youth struggling with mental health conditions cite as a reason they contemplate or attempt suicide," according to a statement about the show released this month by the National Association of School Psychologists.

It's one thing to do something like this within the context of then starting a dialogue. That wasn't the intention, or else we'd have an immediate follow-up episode discussing it, or resources provided by Netflix for assistance. They did neither.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 03:13:18 PM

Calm thyself. I was just pointing out the sentence was ambiguous as it was written - relax.

The argument against having suicide, drugs, drinking, sex or any other charged topic in schools, media, etc... is pretty much the same.  I don't subscribe to the theory that education about a topic is bad.  Hiding these concepts is ridiculous past a certain young age.  Prepare the kids for the world, don't sell them fantasies.

"But this isn't just education - it glamorizes it!"  The main character is sympathetic and compelling.  To that extent, yes, audiences can see themselves making the decision that she does.  However, they can also see just how much damage it does.  They can see the hurt it causes and they can see that if she reached out to the right people in the right way, she had another path available and her decision to take her own life was a mistake.  I took two messages from the series:

1.) There is help out there if you look for it, even if you don't see it right now.
2.) People should reach out to make sure the people in their lives know they are there to help.

I don't see anyone really walking away from this and considering it a blueprint for the way to end their life.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 03:15:37 PM

I don't see anyone really walking away from this and considering it a blueprint for the way to end their life.

It sure is a good thing you're more of an expert on this topic than all those mental health professionals who thought otherwise when consulted.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: 13 Reasons Why  
Jump to: