Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:23:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Rich kids held captive in the Bahamas -- send help 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rich kids held captive in the Bahamas -- send help  (Read 27584 times)
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: January 16, 2019, 12:24:12 PM

The real story here is that we missed a prime opportunity to solve a lot of humanity's problems by firebombing an island.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: January 29, 2019, 08:26:45 AM

I watched the Netflix doco and it is only somewhat interesting.  
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 09:16:14 AM by Brolan »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #37 on: January 29, 2019, 02:57:57 PM

Spoiler: none of the Instagram influencers died or had their lives ruined.  At least one of them won some kind of lawsuit.

The actual victims in the whole thing were the local workers who by and large didn't get paid for doing their jobs (and they were clearly the only ones in the whole story who have ever done an honest day's work in their lives) and in some cases are now mired in debt.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: January 29, 2019, 07:45:21 PM

The restaurant owner in the Netflix doc has now gotten $200,000 from donors, so while I'm sure being taken for a ride for a couple of years was bad, I bet she has gotten ahead now. Not sure she's gonna pay off the workers further down the food chain, but there you go.

The people that interest me are the mid-level app-designer types who are part of a universe where everybody's a fluffer for somebody but at least a lot of the time everybody gets paid. More than anything else, the doc reinforces: don't ever do anything where you aren't getting paid at least partially in advance.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: January 29, 2019, 10:52:22 PM

She mentioned spending $50,000 of her own money to cover the wages that should have been paid to the workers.  She came across as one of the few people who actually took any responsibility even though she was not at fault herself.

Meanwhile I'm sure the sleazebag Billy McFarland will be out of jail in a few years and running a new scam.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: January 30, 2019, 04:24:50 AM

100% certain. That's a guy who doesn't ever learn his lesson. More's the pity, neither will some of his future marks.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #41 on: January 30, 2019, 05:34:03 AM

100% certain. That's a guy who doesn't ever learn his lesson. More's the pity, neither will some of his future marks.

The lesson that he will learn is 'don't grift from people who have a bigger number in their Instagram followers count than most people see in their annual salary.'

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: January 30, 2019, 08:03:29 AM

I saw the Hulu version last night.  This version nails McFarland as a con-man right from the beginning while the Netflix one leaves open the chance he just aggressively/accidentally got in over his head.  That is until the last 20 minutes when they show him running more cons while out on bail.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: January 30, 2019, 12:08:14 PM

So, McFarland 2024?

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Rich kids held captive in the Bahamas -- send help  
Jump to: