Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:05:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Persona 5 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Persona 5  (Read 28043 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #35 on: April 17, 2017, 11:15:31 AM

Anyone remember what level they were when they took down the first palace?  The boss is giving me some trouble.  Before I even started the game someone gave me the tip that I should be finishing the palaces as soon as possible and now I'm wondering if I'm under leveled or if need to go buy armor or what.  Most of my guys are level 8 or 9.  The part I lose on is where -

I think I fought him at 10. I probably spent too much time making sure I got some of the treasures that I had to skip earlier due to not having lockpicks made.

-Rasix
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: April 17, 2017, 03:36:24 PM

Well it was close but I finished it first try today.  Not being 1 am probably helped.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #37 on: April 17, 2017, 07:45:56 PM

Anyone remember what level they were when they took down the first palace?  The boss is giving me some trouble.  Before I even started the game someone gave me the tip that I should be finishing the palaces as soon as possible and now I'm wondering if I'm under leveled or if need to go buy armor or what.  Most of my guys are level 8 or 9.  The part I lose on is where -

I finished the first palace at level 11-12. Send Ryuji, and attack with at least 2 characters every round. If you can just survive long enough for the event to finish it becomes a cake walk.

Well it was close but I finished it first try today.  Not being 1 am probably helped.
Just a warning for the next Palace: Make sure you at least level your party members enough that everyone has a spell that can hit multiple targets.

You'll also be introduced to treasure personas- who can't be equipped but if captured can be fused to make really strong personas and give you a huge list of good inheritable skills to pick from. The gimmick is they can randomly appear, and are resistant to basically everything but a single element. You can however cheese the one in the second palace by spamming lucky punch and swift strike at it- if you crit it, it'll be knocked down and instantly give up. I'm only explaining this because the first one is kinda bullshit- it's only weak to Nuke I think and you'll almost certainly not have a Nuke spell when you find it. I used it and made a persona with Rampage (hits every enemy with physical damage multiple times) and it made a world of difference.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 07:55:22 PM by Fabricated »

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: April 18, 2017, 07:18:26 AM

Cool, thanks for the tips.  Maybe I'll spend an extra day in the next one to catch up a little bit.  Also I think I was probably using Hold Up too much in the beginning trying to get cash.  It seems like the amount of extra cash you get isn't worth it compared to getting the mix of XP and cash.  Unless you already took down 2 out of 3 and your just holding up the last guy.

The draw to be optimal in this game is strong Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: April 18, 2017, 08:33:38 AM

Cool, thanks for the tips.  Maybe I'll spend an extra day in the next one to catch up a little bit.  Also I think I was probably using Hold Up too much in the beginning trying to get cash.  It seems like the amount of extra cash you get isn't worth it compared to getting the mix of XP and cash.  Unless you already took down 2 out of 3 and your just holding up the last guy.

Also Mementos is a good place to level. It's also very integral to the game even though you might not think so at least.  Minor spoiler below

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 18, 2017, 03:14:51 PM

Just finished the fourth palace and I've fallen victim to this and may bump it up to hard.  Haven't spent any extra days grinding or more then the bare minimum time in Mementos and after the second palace things seem trivially easy. (Currently on Normal difficulty)  You really only need to do three things.  Don't skip enemies when proceeding through dungeons, recruit/fuse enough demons to fill out the compendium and to keep your active personas at or above your level, and buy a couple of the SP regen accessories.  Money is only useful to bring out copies of registered personas and to take shortcuts on the social side of the game.

Still having a great time but it doesn't seem as compelling as P3 or P4.  Pacing feels a bit off.  There are large stretches where you have no choice of activities followed by long story droughts.  Needs to be more back and forth.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #41 on: April 21, 2017, 06:35:35 AM

I imagine the targets get more important/personal but the third palace's target is pretty lame and not much happens with him other than an amusing boss fight. Catchy palace theme however.

Demon negotiation is really stupid though- I don't give a shit there's a guide on it when you can't really even tell what the "serious" or "joking" response is half the time. I managed to pick up most of the personas in the third palace by sheer luck by getting them critically weak so they just gave up. I managed to get my link with the Sun Arcana leveled up however and being able to repeatedly extort shadows is a great way to make a lot of money. It's nice when a shadow throws 3000 yen at you and you're able to make them do that another 4-5 times.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 21, 2017, 09:11:03 AM

I managed to get my link with the Sun Arcana leveled up however and being able to repeatedly extort shadows is a great way to make a lot of money. It's nice when a shadow throws 3000 yen at you and you're able to make them do that another 4-5 times.

I need to do this, I'm always running out of money.  I've been avoiding that one just because I don't have a sun persona on my team at the moment and it's hard to keep one of everything at this point.

I ended up missing the treasure guy, I didn't have lucky punch or swift strike.  I'm definitely getting caught back up on levels and things are going smoothly.  There's still some occasional BS where a single monster decides to weakness chain or crit my main guy to the game over screen in a single round, but that just seems to be the way this game rolls.

Everything about this game just works so well together and feels good. The screen transitions, the menus, the music, the little combat details like the baton pass.  Loving it.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #43 on: April 21, 2017, 10:14:13 AM

I'll echo that I really love the style of this game, but negotiation is awful in the beginning (I'm assuming it gets easier as the game progresses).
carnifex27
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 21, 2017, 11:31:48 AM

I managed to get my link with the Sun Arcana leveled up however and being able to repeatedly extort shadows is a great way to make a lot of money. It's nice when a shadow throws 3000 yen at you and you're able to make them do that another 4-5 times.
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: April 21, 2017, 01:51:08 PM

Don't care for negotiation much either but there is a blurb in the tutorial menu about what types of responses the various persona personalities respond to.  Takes away at least some of the randomness.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #46 on: April 22, 2017, 04:23:51 PM

I need to do this, I'm always running out of money.  I've been avoiding that one just because I don't have a sun persona on my team at the moment and it's hard to keep one of everything at this point.

I ended up missing the treasure guy, I didn't have lucky punch or swift strike.  I'm definitely getting caught back up on levels and things are going smoothly.  There's still some occasional BS where a single monster decides to weakness chain or crit my main guy to the game over screen in a single round, but that just seems to be the way this game rolls.

Everything about this game just works so well together and feels good. The screen transitions, the menus, the music, the little combat details like the baton pass.  Loving it.
Grinding in mementos is a good way to get cash too. You don't really need a Sun persona to get him leveled quickly however- same with the Moon Arcana.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: April 24, 2017, 07:44:52 AM

Yeah, I struggled again on the second palace boss @ level 16 (I forgot to buy any meds or anything, so no revives).  I beat him, but it took a few tries.  So right after that I ended up going through mementos a couple times, made it up over level 20 and grabbed enough to upgrade all of my equipment plus have a spare ¥100k.  Decently far along in the 3rd palace now so we'll see how it goes.  Also I found some melon bread or something near the access-way that you can buy for 1k that is a cheap revive.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #48 on: April 24, 2017, 06:17:16 PM

Be sure to grind up the Death Arcana ASAP with a Death Persona until you get the discount- which is pretty easy to do. Once you can buy SP Adhesive accessories from her your worries about SP can largely disappear.

The second palace boss basically requires you to have everyone spamming skills that hit all enemies. Rampage being the most useful.

I one-day'd the third palace which IMO was a mistake because I was on fumes the last 1/3rd and should've just taken a break instead of blowing through a ton of SP recovery items. Spoilers: if you can make sure you have a Psi attack for most of the mobs. The boss is a slog and basically should just be everyone autoattacking and healing when needed until he tries his special attack- at which point you have two options to prevent it.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: April 24, 2017, 07:42:38 PM

Yeah, I have the discount.  They are pricey!  Psy was the only element I didn't have an aoe for, so I made one and it turned out super strong.  Time to head for the treasure!
Rasix

Reply #50 on: May 04, 2017, 12:44:10 PM

3rd palace was a lot worse for me than the 2nd. I got wiped a couple times due to an Oni critting me with rampage. One of those times was when I hadn't saved in about an hour.  Tantrum That palace needed more safe rooms. Took me one time to get to the vault maze, and just barely made it through the maze on my second attempt. Plus I seemed to keep messing up on getting through the mob conversations. The guides on this really aren't that helpful as some of the answers could fit into either category it seems.

I bought a SP Adhesive before I got the discount.  Heartbreak

It's hard to buck the feeling that I'm not playing optimally, and I should be farther along with my confidants and skills. I really want to avoid looking up the conversations for the right answers, and I think I'll stick to this, although I think I eventually caved at some point during Persona 4.

-Rasix
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 04, 2017, 02:11:07 PM

Only slightly spoiled myself early on concerning which links to prioritize.  I'm in the final dungeon and had maxed social links about two weeks before what I assume is the end of the game calendar.

Very light mechanical advice on how to not waste time.

This game is much more forgiving than the last two and if I understood some of the mechanics better going in I'm sure it's possible to have a full month of more or less free time without having to game it down to specific conversation choices.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 04, 2017, 03:52:21 PM

I breezed through the 3rd & 4th palaces for whatever reason.  Probably because the SP Adhesive is a bit OP.

There is a good 3 week period between the 4th & 5th where you can do whatever you want, which is awesome.
Rasix

Reply #53 on: May 08, 2017, 09:53:17 AM

I breezed through the 3rd & 4th palaces for whatever reason.  Probably because the SP Adhesive is a bit OP.

There is a good 3 week period between the 4th & 5th where you can do whatever you want, which is awesome.

Yah, I put the adhesive 3 on Joker and Mona and it made it trivial getting through the main part of 4. No SP issues at all. I ended up using a lot of my useless HP consumables also to conserve SP On the way through.

Those floating Anubis guys were a pain in the ass. No weaknesses (that I could find, pretty sure I tried everything), tons of HP, and insta-kill or massive AOE damage.  Boss fight was a bit dumb, but it was a really interesting story point at least.

-Rasix
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 08, 2017, 09:56:39 AM

I ended up winning the lottery and now have SP Adhesives all around Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The Anubis guys suck.  I never did find a good way to deal with them other than to heal up.
Rasix

Reply #55 on: May 08, 2017, 10:02:21 AM

I ended up winning the lottery and now have SP Adhesives all around Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The Anubis guys suck.  I never did find a good way to deal with them other than to heal up.

Is the lottery a monthly thing? I suppose I could be less lazy and just google it.  awesome, for real

I just had to nuke them down as hard as possible, which still meant they could get 2 (or more if they weren't alone) rounds of spells off. Luckily one of Joker's Personas was immune to most of its nukes. I nearly wiped on the double spawn of one near the treasure. Ended up running away.

-Rasix
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: May 08, 2017, 10:28:44 AM

I have no idea on the lottery, I just kind of buy them when I'm in the area.  I think it's every few weeks?

I did find that shocking the Anubis guys and then getting technicals sometimes works which makes me wonder if you can confuse or sleep them or something.  It was way too much work to try all of the combinations though.

So the one game mechanic I really dislike is needing to have the matching arcana in your current list for social points.  Fusing is already a huge money sink and then having to re-summon just for social points just compounds it.  Even money aside though, it's just annoying.  Also not being able to have duplicates makes leveling the Strength confidant another money sink.  Kind of nit picky I guess, but I think managing persona is my least favorite part of the game.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #57 on: May 08, 2017, 12:28:58 PM

You can get by without duplicate personas if you don't mind each link taking longer, or you can spend cash with the fortune teller to speed things up.  I just try to plan carefully to make sure I've always got most of what I need on-hand and to fuse with that in mind.  Limits the amount of re-summoning you need to do.

Re: Anubis and other no-weakness enemies, Morgana has an ability that does physical damage with a very high crit rate, it helps a ton.  Later on, you get a gun ability from the Tower link that can take care of these guys as well.

I still hate negotiating, but it gets a lot easier once you max out Sun and Tower and get the conversation bonuses for most of your party members.  Maxing your confidants has a real, noticeable impact on your performance in the later palaces.  My only lingering issue is that I keep running out of cash even if I hit close to 500k at some points.  Never did try the lottery, though!
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: May 15, 2017, 09:21:03 AM

5th palace took me quite awhile, mainly due to just being busy.  There was one part with the  that had me going in circles for awhile.  I thought the boss on this one was quite a bit tougher than the last two.  It actually took me a few tries to get my strategy down.

My copies of Persona 3 & 4 came in the mail today.  Now it's time to see if my PS2 still works.   Last time I tried it I was getting audio but no video.  I think it was just an AV cable issue, so I'm hoping it's an easy fix.
Rasix

Reply #59 on: May 15, 2017, 10:08:43 AM

Hah, I'm not even sure I can play my PS2. The wall mount for my TV covers up the composite input rather inconveniently.

For anyone that's beat this already, how long did it take? I'm sitting at, I think, 57 hours and am just into palace 5. I don't think I'll one shit this as I haven't bought enough SP accessories at this point and don't want to blow the actual good consumables at this point.

-Rasix
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 16, 2017, 06:38:30 AM

So some how I missed the batting cages.  I think the first time I went, it told me to come back later and then I forgot about them. Now that I have rediscovered them, some serious save scumming has ensued  awesome, for real

Luckily the new AV cable fixed my PS2, so hopefully it holds out.  It sounds a little rough when it gets going, but it works!  I have an AV switch box on my basement wall unit since that's where the kids use the N64 & Gamecube.  They still like quite a few of the older games.

Also a cool surprise was that P4 came with the soundtrack CD in the regular edition box (no super special edition, no $15 dlc).  After that I got to flip through the game manuals  Heart

While I was digging through all the PS2 stuff I put Shadow Hearts in the need to play again pile.  I have no idea when I'm going to play all of this but somehow I created a like 100 hours worth of old game backlog for myself.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #61 on: May 16, 2017, 08:56:36 AM

I'm near the endgame and up to 90 hours, but I think a few of those are from leaving the game idle.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #62 on: May 23, 2017, 04:18:12 PM

So, longest non-sandbox no-sidequests no procedural game ever? I think so.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #63 on: May 24, 2017, 06:50:01 AM

Could be.  The ending just kept going on forever, too.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: May 25, 2017, 01:18:32 AM

Don't make it sound like it's a bad thing! On that note, I read a stupid article (title. Couldn't read it because spoilers) couple of days ago that complains about the game being too long. So, if we have day 1 DLCs people complain and if we have huge games people complains now? *sigh*

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: May 30, 2017, 07:51:20 AM

I tried to finish the game this weekend and failed.  It really is a long game, I'm at just over 100 hours now in the final palace (or at least I hope it's the final palace).  Granted that's with a bunch of pause time and me just generally taking my time and trying to complete everything possible.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: May 30, 2017, 08:11:17 AM

I am over 100 hours myself and I have no idea at what point of the story I am. I am doing everything too although to be fair there isn't much room to branch out (choices, sure, but the calendar advances all the same no matter what you pick) which in a way is a good thing in such a long game. Mementos seem to be really the only place where you can "waste" time but I only use them to clear Requests and reach the next bottleneck. I don't wanna know how many palaces I still have to go through or how many months or days are there still. I am loving this ride more than I could have ever hoped and as long as the game may be I wish it would never end. Such a wonderfully crafted story and characters, for anime lovers of course.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: June 03, 2017, 06:31:12 PM

Just finished it, and it took me about 130 hours. This is probably my new favourite RPG of all time. Citizen Kane Neon Genesis Evangelion of videogames, confirmed.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: June 11, 2017, 11:04:47 AM

But wait, there's more!

Actually I saw the end screen but I'm still not 100% convinced there's not another palace  awesome, for real
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: June 11, 2017, 09:30:16 PM

Depending on

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Persona 5  
Jump to: