Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:25:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Persona 5 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Persona 5  (Read 28041 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: March 29, 2017, 01:14:18 PM

It's almost here. LEss than a week. I preorderd. This is one of the two reasons I bought a PS4 for (the other being Bloodborne). I am obsessed so time to start a thread to vent off some steam about it.

Kotaku says it's good but fuck Kotaku of course it's good. http://kotaku.com/persona-5-the-kotaku-review-1793752909

Also, here have another trailer just because. Although FUCK ENGLISH VOICE DUBS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lV-eaEKxjQ

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 01:29:42 PM

I don't want to buy a PS4, but I also don't want to order a physical disk and deal with my PS3.   Sad Panda

I'll probably cave and buy a disc.

edit: All of the reviews are pretty good, not just kotaku.  Reviews thread on reddit.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 01:34:06 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 02:10:39 PM

Also looking forward to this as it's one of the main reasons I got my PS4.  I will say I've enjoyed the console for the other games I've purchased in the meantime.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 04:49:10 PM

I preordered. Supposedly it's fantastic.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 07:04:38 PM

I preorderd. This is one of the two reasons I bought a PS4 for (the other being Bloodborne).

This is me as well.  Mostly been on media blackout, still on the fence about which voices to use though.
Rasix

Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 07:55:32 PM

I preorderd. This is one of the two reasons I bought a PS4 for (the other being Bloodborne).

This is me as well.  Mostly been on media blackout, still on the fence about which voices to use though.

If you can survive Chie's voice work from P4, you can survive anything.

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 08:53:20 AM

I already have and enjoy the PS4 (two in fact).  I'll buy this as well.  I wish I finished games.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 10:59:32 PM

00:00 - It's out!

Edit. "Why Persona 5 is the best JRPG in years" https://youtu.be/RgeyeqAxpAk
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 09:15:45 AM by Falconeer »

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 02:53:36 PM

Atlus Japan came out earlier today and basically banned streamin P5

http://atlus.com/note-persona-5-streaming/

schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 04:09:21 PM

lol

idiots
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 08:52:27 PM

Anyone is playing it? I need to know if we can play with the original Japanese voices or it's mandatory bullshit English crap.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 10:01:40 PM

Anyone is playing it? I need to know if we can play with the original Japanese voices or it's mandatory bullshit English crap.
For the US version and the US PlayStation store there's a free 2.9 GB download if you want the Japanese audio track. No idea about other regions.
Rasix

Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 11:35:52 PM

The voice work so far isn't grating on me. I'm just enjoying some Persona.  Sweet, sweet Persona.

FYI, intro sequence is a bit long and sparse with the save points. I'd say budget a couple hours to get this one going.

Goddamnit, I wish I didn't actually have to work tomorrow.

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 11:51:29 PM

It should be pretty quick if you just read the dialog, though, and skip ahead of the talking. But yeah the "intro" (after the prologue) does take a while. It's *very* Japanese so far.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 12:04:06 AM

I wish they'd re-release P4 or golden on current consoles as well.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 12:51:41 AM

For the US version and the US PlayStation store there's a free 2.9 GB download if you want the Japanese audio track. No idea about other regions.

Love Letters

jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 03:48:20 AM

It's also not fully subtitled, only direct dialog. For example in an early cutscene (very light spoiler)
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 04:16:23 AM

I have not played other Persona games. Do I need to have played old ones to understand and enjoy this one?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Rasix

Reply #18 on: April 05, 2017, 07:42:05 AM

I have not played other Persona games. Do I need to have played old ones to understand and enjoy this one?

Nope. The whole concept will just be a bit more WTF, but the game guides you through it. It might actually be pretty awesome to play this with no knowledge of the series.

It is very Japanese. There's anime cutscenes. It's a JRPG dungeon crawler / social game. Turn based combat. Early parts of the game will be somewhat on rails until the "intro/tutorial" portion ends. So, I'm not sure if that's your thing or something you can even tolerate. I'm not into anime and it doesn't bother me at all.

However, this so far, is really good and just seeps style out of every pore. This is one of the more compelling early portions of the game they've done.

At some point, schild and I had a discussion on how to categorize Persona 3, and the best category we could come up with is "Persona".  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 07:44:27 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 05, 2017, 08:52:03 AM

You don't need knowledge of prior games to enjoy Persona 5.

The only thing you should know though is that Persona games are very, very Japanese. The 'J' is very pronounced in this particular JRPG. Not in the sense of japanese weirdness (even though the games also dip into that part of Japanese culture) more that they are crafted for Japanese sensibilities and are deeply rooted in contemporary Japanese culture and norms. That also means that the games are slower paced than western games would be.

There is a reason why Atlus was hesitant to do proper western releases for Persona and Shin Megami Tensei games and it was because they thought that the games would not appeal to western audiences. Only the continuing success of Persona 3 and Persona 4 in western markets slowly changed that.

Persona 5 is actually probably the first game that got a 'proper' western release with enough effort put into localization and reasonably close to the Japan release and I hope it pays off.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #20 on: April 05, 2017, 08:56:45 AM

How "Mature" is the rating? My kid is asking for this for her birthday. She reads a lot of other anime titles, off the top of my head I know she likes Blue Exorcist and Vampire Knight.

I suppose I'm less concerned with penis monsters than I am with excessive gore and self-harm concepts. Anything to be worried about?
Rasix

Reply #21 on: April 05, 2017, 09:12:58 AM

How "Mature" is the rating? My kid is asking for this for her birthday. She reads a lot of other anime titles, off the top of my head I know she likes Blue Exorcist and Vampire Knight.

I suppose I'm less concerned with penis monsters than I am with excessive gore and self-harm concepts. Anything to be worried about?

It's Mature. I'll spoiler the early examples:

Whether that's OK for your kid, is up to you. I don't read or watch anime, so I don't know how it compares.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 09:14:59 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 05, 2017, 09:19:44 AM

At some point, schild and I had a discussion on how to categorize Persona 3, and the best category we could come up with is "Persona".  awesome, for real

I thought about this and the only way I can describe it is 'well it's a Persona game'
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 05, 2017, 09:22:02 AM

Was Persona 3 the one where you activated your Persona by shooting yourself in the head?
Rasix

Reply #24 on: April 05, 2017, 09:25:45 AM

Was Persona 3 the one where you activated your Persona by shooting yourself in the head?

Yup.

-Rasix
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 05, 2017, 09:26:15 AM

Fantastic.  My eldest started last night.

She named her character Akira.

Should I be worried?
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 05, 2017, 09:38:55 AM

The only recent game I could compare it to would be "Life is Strange" but even darker. Not game design or mechanics-wise but in the story beats and the topics it tackles. Persona games tackle all kinds of real life issues, like physical or sexual abuse, abandonment, personal struggles connected to mental health, self esteem, substance abuse or societal pressures and the power dynamic inherent in Japanese culture and especially the rigorous school and clique system.

The magical or mystical aspect of Persona tends to heighten the 'real life' aspect even more because it is almost always an escapist fantasy the Persona characters are involved in. Similar to Dorothy's travels through OZ or the door to Narnia that leads to a magical realm far away from the harsh reality of WW2 London.

So fewer magical penis monsters or exploding demon heads but nevertheless dark and bleak and also gory at times. I'd say it's even heavier because all of the dark shit is rooted in contemporary culture and hits much closer to home.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 05, 2017, 09:42:16 AM

Fantastic.  My eldest started last night.

She named her character Akira.

Should I be worried?

If she has read Akira or similar things then she's probably well prepared for a Persona game.

So, yes you should be worried why so serious?
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: April 06, 2017, 12:32:37 PM

Daughter was at work, disc was in, so started this instead of switching back to Stab Robots in the Face (HZD).

Very nice so far.  I only just made it to [REDACTED] for the second time.

I've dinked around with a couple of SMTs in the past, so I'm not going in blind.  Of course, since my play of P5 will be limited by my daughter's attention span, I may have to find one of my SMTs to hold me over in the meanwhile.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 06, 2017, 09:29:28 PM

You can play the best SMT (3, Nocturne) on the PS2 emulator. It runs great!

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 07, 2017, 06:22:55 AM

It's a small thing but this is the first PS4 game that I've owned on disk that you can just pop in and play.  No 15 minute install, no huge day 1 patch.  It's kinda nice!
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #31 on: April 07, 2017, 07:44:24 PM

This game is pretty damn good. Translation is definitely not effortful however- it's like they sat down a couple average translators and had them just blast through the script. There's weird grammar, fucked up phrasing because the translators clearly had no context for the scenes they were translating, etc.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 07, 2017, 09:53:44 PM

About 10 hours in and really liking this one.

Forcefully reminded that these games give no fucks when it comes to using elemental weaknesses against the MC.  Slept through the first dungeon but been one-rounded a couple of times in the second.

My only real complaints are the tightness of SP early on and that even after ten hours there are large stretches of days where I can't pick WTF I want to do.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 17, 2017, 07:29:58 AM

Anyone remember what level they were when they took down the first palace?  The boss is giving me some trouble.  Before I even started the game someone gave me the tip that I should be finishing the palaces as soon as possible and now I'm wondering if I'm under leveled or if need to go buy armor or what.  Most of my guys are level 8 or 9.  The part I lose on is where -

Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 17, 2017, 11:03:47 AM

If you're getting to that point on the first palace boss, you'll probably get it with a few more tries. As I recall, I was level 11 or 12 when I finished first palace, but I'm grinding every palace visit until I'm beat to hell and have no choice but to stop.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Persona 5  
Jump to: