Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:09:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Kong: Skull Island 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kong: Skull Island  (Read 2875 times)
rattran

Unreasonable

on: March 13, 2017, 07:46:45 PM

Kong: Skull Island is a decent enough flick. Hits all the usual overused cliche/tropes, has a big ape on the screen quite a bit. Turn off the brain and enjoy. Sam Jackson chews the scenery so much I felt bad for him.

And wait until after the credits, there's a big teaser for the next Godzilla film, cave paintings of Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah. We were the only ones in the theater by that point.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 09:48:20 PM

Huh, this got zero attention here. It is a pretty solid monster movie.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 11:54:29 PM

Huh, this got zero attention here. It is a pretty solid monster movie.
It's good for what it is, it's just not exceptional for anything but the CGI.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 12:18:48 AM

I disagree a bit. I mean, I agree it is a CGI-heavy movie, but it's a bit ballsy to take a franchise King Kong movie and make it into a Vietnam War analogy with a nice Colonel Kurtz overtone. Plus having Kong go all WWE at the end was pretty boss.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 01:10:42 AM

It actually started out pretty strong.  Good setup and atmosphere.  Then it got progressively dumber and dumber until I was yelling at the screen for most the last half of the movie.  The writers keep having them do the literal dumbest things possible through the movie, it started hitting every single terrible writing cliche, and acting was mostly sub par.

I mean yes, lots of action, people running, big monsters.  But writing/acting was a mess.  It's about on par with Jurassic World.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 07:04:39 PM

I think I saw part of this on... Netflix I guess?

It looked pretty bad.  Although the CGI seemed decent.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 08:11:58 PM

Giant ape turned a ship propeller into both a cestus AND a meteor hammer. I mean, come on.

-H.L. Mencken
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 06:50:14 AM

Some people hate fun. You should be well aware that includes a significant fraction of this board by now.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 07:19:49 AM

I enjoyed it.  It wasn't trying to be Citizen Kane.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 11:01:38 AM

Pacific Rim was fun.  This one just killed me with 1,000 little cuts of bad.  Glad you guys like it, but it didn't work out in the end for me, despite the great setup.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Kong: Skull Island  
Jump to: