Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:52:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild  (Read 16032 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #35 on: March 16, 2017, 08:03:09 AM

Breath of the Wild has swords that break down faster than sticks. It's very strange. Least durables axes ever.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #36 on: March 16, 2017, 08:29:09 AM

Why does this have weapon durability? Ugh.
So they can devote 3/4 of the controls to managing your equipment?
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #37 on: March 16, 2017, 10:04:43 AM

A human being can survive for up to three days without water, for several weeks without food, or 7 - 10 days without sleep (not all at the same time of course. Humans have the most endurance and can walk or even run for miles (hunting animals was for most of our existence an act of wearing them down and then killing them) and survive hot and cold climates. A human can take an incredible amount of neglect and abuse befoe said human finally succumbs to them and dies. Melee weapons could realistically last for entire generations and often were inherited from father to son to grandson (because they were incredibly expensive) and an AK 47 was literally designed so that untrained goons clueless about weapons maintenance could drag them through the mud of a battlefield or a river and still be able to shoot the enemy dead.

Human characters in survival games are by comparison the most brittle and precious creatures who wither away and die just from walking at a brisk pace during a slight bit of rain and their weapons are about as sturdy as a sheet of toilet paper in a hailstorm.

TL;DR: Survival mechanics are always utterly fucking stupid.
patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: March 18, 2017, 11:22:33 PM

Someone made a good case for weapon durability.

It forced him to learn how to use other weapons and thus he spent allot of time learning the nuance for items he initially disliked.

OP is assuming its somewhat of a design-goal of eve to make players happy.
this is however not the case.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: March 19, 2017, 12:16:58 AM

Again, the problem is more with the ridiculously short amount of durability.  They just needed to...spread it out a bit.

Meanwhile, the open world nature of this game is pretty good.  My kids have probably put 60+ hours into this game already, and have accomplished almost nothing in terms of the main story.  It's pretty impressive how they took some of the tired old concepts and made them so playable.  On the negative side, my 5 year-old is so in love with this game that I have basically had no chance to play it.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #40 on: March 28, 2017, 11:27:05 AM

Apparently if you have the Link and Zelda amiibos they work with this game. We bought it last night and my son just informed me that Link gives you a horse and Zelda gives you a random weapon (Wii U) 

We had no idea. Cool, though.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: March 28, 2017, 11:14:56 PM

Does it give you these things every time you use them?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #42 on: March 29, 2017, 12:55:05 AM

If I'm not mistaken there's some daily thing you can do with the amiibos. They put out a few more Link amiibos for this game that can get you armor that looks like what Link wears in previous games.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: March 29, 2017, 06:09:48 AM

Any amiibo will give you random stuff like chests, weapons or items. A few will give you rare drops like Epona (Link's horse from Ocarina of Time) or armor sets that make Link loook like an incarnation from previous games.

You can use them once per day and special items are rare drops so might take a few days.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: March 29, 2017, 06:13:14 AM

Would be a neat idea if Nintendo actually made those amiibo available for purchase on a wide scale and didn't just make limited runs that get completely bought up by scalpers and collectors. i guess though that making scammers rich and making children cry is more worthwhile to them somehow.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: March 29, 2017, 07:17:22 AM

Any amiibo will give you random stuff like chests, weapons or items. A few will give you rare drops like Epona (Link's horse from Ocarina of Time) or armor sets that make Link loook like an incarnation from previous games.

You can use them once per day and special items are rare drops so might take a few days.

Define "any" please.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: March 29, 2017, 07:34:10 AM

I used my Samus amiibo, the only one I got and one of the original ones that came out in the first batch four years ago and it works. Gives you random items.. Any amiibo will give you random itemsonce per day.

Armor pieces and special items are only given by certain amiibo though. https://www.gamefaqs.com/switch/189707-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/cheats

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #47 on: March 29, 2017, 09:21:14 AM

Would be a neat idea if Nintendo actually made those amiibo available for purchase on a wide scale and didn't just make limited runs that get completely bought up by scalpers and collectors. i guess though that making scammers rich and making children cry is more worthwhile to them somehow.

Yeah this is the thing about amiibos I've always thought was bullshit. Never had a problem finding an Infinties character or the like, but you can never find an amiibo. The cynic in me says Nintendo supplies most of the 'secondary' market much like the seedier game stores did with MTG cards back in the days when there were game stores.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: April 05, 2017, 02:22:56 AM

I'm a weak man.

I fell off the bandwagon and bought a Switch. The allure of playing Zelda on the go during my many travels was just too strong. I'm not proud of myself but my local electronics retailer had one in stock and I was there and I had a credit card, well you know the drill.

Had to restart the game and I'm now already again at 70+ hours played on Switch. Combined with my playtime on WiiU I have played that game for probably about 120 to 130 hours. I'm also still hopelessly addicted to it. I'm now at 113 shrines, 3 of 4 divine beasts done, about 120+ Korok seeds found and I've yet to see all of the side quests. Roaming the wild Hyrule countryside is such a Relaxing experience that it really helps me unwind after a stressful day at work. No other game had quite the same effect on me yet. I've definitely put off finishing the game just to roam.

It's definitely one of my absolute favorite games.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: April 05, 2017, 03:35:53 AM

Out of curiosity, as someone who has put in significant time on both...how do they compare from one system to the other?

I have actually only played a little myself, but my five year old is basically obsessed with this game.  He can wander around endlessly accomplishing very little (beyond discovering new weapons all the time), although he does find the occasional korok seed and other little secrets. 

Even with my limited play time - and plans to still invest a ton of hours into it still - I have to say it is quite a fantastic game.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: April 05, 2017, 04:12:33 AM

The differences between the two versions are not that huge but noticeable.

The Wii U Version only puts out 720p, the Switch Version runs at 720p in portable mode (1:1 pixel matching because the screen is 720p) and 900p in docked mode. The draw distance is higher on the Switch version and the graphical fidelity is generally higher as well. Prior to the last patch the performance of the Wii U version and the Switch version in docked mode was essentially equally mediocre (30 fps with frequent drops in demanding scenes like Hyrule Forest or Hateno Vilage). With the newest patch (Version 1.11) the Switch Version is now at solid 30 fps even in scenes where the performance was bad prior to the patch. Apparently the grass effects (grass swaying in the wind) are very demanding.

The loading times are noticeably (several seconds) slower when using a cartridge instead of internal memory, the Wii U actually loads the fastest from internal memory (haven't tried a disc because I bought it on the eShop). Fortunately you only encounter loads during fast travel or when you reload a save.

The Switch Version looks noticeably better and runs notiveably better than the Wii U Version since the latest patch. Not 'spend $300 Dollar on a Switch' better but you can see the difference. The Wii U Version didn't bother me that much but I'm very tolerant with regards to graphical fidelity and framerate - having grown up with Atari 2600 and Commodore 64 and having played Ocarina of Time or similar games (OOC is 20 fps on the Nintendo 64). Your mileage may vary, obviously.

The only thing I'd recommend is to go for a Switch Pro Controller because most people don't like the Joycon grip and you can only charge Joycons when attached to the Switch so the constant dis- and reassembling can get annoying.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: April 05, 2017, 04:32:40 AM

I doubt I'll ever buy a Switch, was mainly just curious.  In any event, I think the Wii U version looks quite good (probably more due to artistry than actual horsepower of course), and the draw distance is notably impressive.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: January 11, 2018, 06:39:55 AM

I've had this game since launch, yet between work, family, being turned off from the whole "open world" shift, and being interested in other games, I've barely played this in the last nine months. I know this is a great game and all; I guess after being raised on the linear-path fashion that every game before has just got my brain wired a certain way. I don't "get" Minecraft or Skyrim or other open world/exploration games.

That said, I've been trying to force myself to play and try to find the fun. Having the last couple weeks off from work while my wife handled a family-emergency out of state gave me an opportunity to really try and dive into this again. And it's better this time. I'm getting the hang of the whole system, I've tackled the mini-field bosses and shrines for their loot, and as I've gotten more hearts and a better weapon/armor loadout, it's been more fun to explore and enjoy the game.

I still hate cooking this early in the game because of the time it takes to cook multiple bits, the cooking animation (yes, I know I can skip it, but there's still the fadeout and crap), and how I feel wasteful in making things that give me more hearts than I currently have. I'm sure this will turn around once I get more heart containers and have to cook less often because I can cook more bits together into one meal, but it''s just annoying right now.

But I will press on. Because I'm slowly getting that drive back to see what's on the next horizon.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild  
Jump to: