Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:32:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Horizon: Zero Dawn 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Horizon: Zero Dawn  (Read 32686 times)
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: March 08, 2017, 08:56:03 PM

The facial animations and lip-syncing are the weakest part of the whole game for me so far. Far better than most games, yet waay into uncanny valley territory.  And it varies from character to character and even sentence to sentence. Unfortunately your character is one it often fails on.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #36 on: March 08, 2017, 09:39:15 PM

I *really* enjoyed the revelations after The Proving.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #37 on: March 08, 2017, 10:32:44 PM

I restarted on very hard and I don't regret the decision except for one thing: the trials. They're really fucking hard and somewhat tedious. That's pretty much my only complaint so far.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #38 on: March 13, 2017, 06:52:59 PM

Only did the trials insofar as it got me access to the Hunters' Lodge. That said, the skills I honed there helped me take down some harder enemies later in the game.

I finished it this morning. A tad predictable but still an emotional gut punch even though I saw it coming. Probably one of the best games I've played story-wise in the last decade.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: March 14, 2017, 06:55:46 AM

I'm closing in on level 40 and I think my highest main quest is level 18.  I should probably quit doing side stuff and progress the story a bit  awesome, for real

Still really loving the game.  I think the enemy variety combined with their different weaknesses and weapons types just keeps the combat fluid and fun.  Also I love the bow combat.  I was also a fan of the newer Tomb Raiders, so maybe that's just something I like.

As far as stuff I don't like it's mostly little things things like the collectibles aren't very fun and the collecting for the medicine pouch is a bit tedious.  I think they could double all the collection values and it would be fine (seriously way too many 9% plants).  Also, although there are different environments they all feel kinda samey.  I think some more diverse areas, like the cauldrons, would have been nice.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #40 on: March 14, 2017, 09:12:41 AM

So would the people playing conclude this is a must buy if it goes on sale? I waited till I picked up the Witcher 3 and got that for $25 and I'm pretty happy with that...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #41 on: March 14, 2017, 09:18:35 AM

If you can handle a 3rd person LOLconsoleshooter and like open world games then yes.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: March 14, 2017, 09:41:23 AM

^ This. It's a derivative mashup of many game from the last five years (Far Cry 3&4, Tomb Raider reboots, Witcher 3, many others) and the story isn't exactly breaking new ground.

However, it is a must-buy for the PS4 if you like action and/or open-world games. They took the best parts of many games and polished the experience. I have no problems with the $70 I spent, absolutely no regrets. Sure, there's a few minor complaints I have but I'm looking forward to the game every day after work and I don't really want to play anything else.

It would be a console-seller if it launched early in the PS4's lifecycle.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #43 on: March 14, 2017, 07:50:32 PM

It made me buy a PS4 Pro just for the 4K.

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: March 14, 2017, 09:11:22 PM

I think it's well worth full price, and I'm happy to support decent folk like these guys that do such a good job and play nice with others as well.

I hope I never find out how many hours we've spent on it though! LOL

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #45 on: March 15, 2017, 04:14:05 AM

I'm loving it.  40 hours in, level 26, finally advanced the main quest to Maker's End (whee, more revelations!), and survived Cauldron Rho.  Still much world to explore, quests to do, etc.  Enjoying this more than Fallout 4 (which was fun).
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #46 on: March 15, 2017, 06:56:23 AM

I hope I never find out how many hours we've spent on it though! LOL
It tells you if you ever do a manual save or load a specific saved game.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: March 20, 2017, 08:45:28 PM

I *really* enjoyed the revelations after The Proving.

Multiple times!  Wow.  I loved the story.  It really delivered.

This one's now the one to beat for GOTY 2017 for me.

And I feel like the purpose of the robot critters, even the Rockjaws, etc, were reasonably well explained in the end.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: March 21, 2017, 07:52:50 AM

I think I'm nearing the end of the story. I'm stuck on a few of the side tasks, gated by Cauldron Zeta. How in the fuck? I'm playing on Very Hard and I don't see how this fight is possible.

Any tips? I know
It also pretty much one-shots me, so most of my attempts are me getting caught on terrain while trying to avoid the charge/swipe. It's a bullshit fight.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #49 on: March 21, 2017, 08:12:27 AM

Lots and lots of tripwires?

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: March 21, 2017, 08:36:49 AM

Are we spoiling because of the type of enemy?

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #51 on: March 21, 2017, 04:12:52 PM

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: March 22, 2017, 08:25:42 AM

Well, I beat it.

I'm nearing the end - have blazing suns in all trials now, all corruption zone/bandit camp/tallnecks unlocked. I still need to find the power armor and figure out what to do with this "shackle" object I found in a bunker. There's a guy that sells a box for three of them but I've only found the one. Other than that I think I'm ready to wrap the story. It's been a really great game.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #53 on: March 22, 2017, 06:28:21 PM

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 06:30:35 PM by Surlyboi »

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: March 24, 2017, 10:02:23 AM

This ended up being my first platinum trophy. I finished the story last night and was only missing two from the playthrough: the 23 dummies in Nora lands and a 'kill all of this machine type" that I missed, but finished those up by looking online for locations. Roughly 60 hours played on very hard. I didn't collect everything, some of those world data points are hard to spot. I had a really good time with it, entirely worth the money I spent.

A bit bummed with the ending bit:
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: March 24, 2017, 07:14:17 PM

Regarding the ending (post credits)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: March 24, 2017, 11:35:01 PM

Your second paragraph is what I'm hoping they work on, with the first being a smaller part of the plot.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: March 25, 2017, 03:05:52 PM

one thing I wish they had done with this one is

but yeah, quite a game with some fun surprises. I'm completely in awe of how polished everything is. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, and not a whole lot of room to do your own thing. It's no sandbox. But what it does have is very well done, very detailed, and relatively bug free.  I really want to see a movie done from it, much better story and science that most of the sci-fi stuff coming out recently like Gravity or Interstellar for example.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: April 07, 2017, 10:27:11 AM

I still haven't finished this.  I've done almost everything I know about, except the main quest and a couple blazing suns.  So I'm getting there at least.

This isn't the kind of game that I've wanted to reload for dialog choices but last night I was cleaning up some side quests and I did one where -

It was all very anti-climatic.  It's the first time I wondered if I should reload and try something different.  Too late now though, I've moved on!
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: April 07, 2017, 10:52:19 AM

If you want to know, but it's somewhat of a spoiler:

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: April 07, 2017, 09:33:57 PM

The one thing I actively disliked about the game was the hunting lodge quests. We completed exactly zero of them. Not got top reward, but even completed. at all. The whole timed must use specific weapons/tactics or it doesn't count BS was such a put off, and I started with what might be the dumbest one in the game, having to kill stuff with logs. It was completely annoying, completely unnecessary, and fortunately completely avoidable.

Otherwise, it's been two weeks since we've finished and I'm starting to think about playing it again.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #61 on: April 09, 2017, 01:17:48 PM

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #62 on: April 09, 2017, 01:20:53 PM

The one thing I actively disliked about the game was the hunting lodge quests. We completed exactly zero of them. Not got top reward, but even completed. at all. The whole timed must use specific weapons/tactics or it doesn't count BS was such a put off, and I started with what might be the dumbest one in the game, having to kill stuff with logs. It was completely annoying, completely unnecessary, and fortunately completely avoidable.

Otherwise, it's been two weeks since we've finished and I'm starting to think about playing it again.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
It helps to at least do any three trials (bronze rank is fine) so you can unlock the Hunter's Lodge in Meridian.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: April 09, 2017, 05:46:18 PM

I know you can unlock better weapons by doing the hunting quests, but are they really worth the hassle?  And why Meridian specifically?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #64 on: April 09, 2017, 08:04:41 PM

Once you get at least 3 bronze/half sun marks or better you unlock the lodge in Meridian that has a series of side quests, one which will give you a purple weapon independent of the special ones you get from turning in full sets of marks. You also get an ally for the end battle if you finish that quest chain.

Edit: also it's not made clear but you can pick and choose which 3 trials you get marks for to unlock the Lodge in Meridian. I skipped the log one at the first grounds and did the other two and then I did one somewhere else (can't remember which one).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 08:19:52 PM by Trippy »
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: April 09, 2017, 11:57:26 PM

And once you have access to the Lodge there's a fun questline that doesn't require any more Trials, and if you get it early on, you'll likely end up running into and defeating the necessary critters as part of your main and/or side missions.  The second leg of this quest involves two very large critters that you'll also have to fight as part of the main quest, so two for one.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: April 10, 2017, 06:36:44 AM

I thought I was going to finish the game this weekend but it turned out I had more left than I thought.  I'm at 97% completion now though, so I should be nearing the end.  I think I have 1-2 more main quests, 1 vantage and then the armory quest left.

I didn't mind the lodge quests but I thought the rewards were weak.  I wish they would have let you pick to upgrade any weapon.  The ones they picked were not ones I really liked to use.  Also getting a pile of green mods from completing the collection stuff was pretty weak, I thought they could have come up with something cosmetic or at least new.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: April 13, 2017, 11:41:59 AM

Regarding the ending (post credits)

This was my take on the ending as well.  I do kind of wish that:

I really hope they spend a good 3-4 years on the sequel and do it justice.  This game was way too good to good to ruin with churned out follow ups.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: April 30, 2017, 01:18:45 PM

My ending/new game theory.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #69 on: May 03, 2017, 07:46:42 PM

Oooh, I like that.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Horizon: Zero Dawn  
Jump to: