Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:33:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Horizon: Zero Dawn 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Horizon: Zero Dawn  (Read 32693 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

on: February 27, 2017, 10:25:49 PM

Didn't see a thread for this, so here it is.

This game is beautiful. Skyrim on really high settings beautiful. The opening training sequence/montage is full-on epic journey. Gameplay is a weird combination of Tomb Raider, Thief and Mass Effect so far and the storyline is fairly compelling.

Will report back as I progress.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 09:28:33 AM

Tomb Raider, Thief, and Mass Effect?

I was thinking Shadows of Mordor, Zelda, and Monster Hunter.

I have not played it. Was I wrong?
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 01:00:20 PM

Apparently a copy of this will be in my household shortly.

Not for ME.  For my eldest.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 01:08:28 PM

I'm praying that the PSN update speed gods are good to me so that I can actually play this tonight.

Also I think maybe more Far Cry than Thief or Mass Effect (have not played yet).
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 03:46:14 PM

No PC release, no interest.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 05:12:57 PM

I kinda want to get Horizon and Nioh but I don't have a PS4 Pro, don't really want to pay $400 for a half-assed upgrade console, and don't want to do these games a disservice by playing them on a regular PS4 and not getting the full experience. So good job I guess Sony.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 05:22:39 PM

I can't speak for Nioh, but I'm playing Horizon on a standard PS4 and it's fucking gorgeous. So far the gameplay is derivative but very well done for what it is.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 05:29:36 PM

I was thinking about getting a PS4 Pro for this game but since I play at 1080p I didn't see enough of an improvement in the screenshots and videos people were posting to justify $750 (console + SSD). Also the Pro still has lots of issues.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 09:38:20 PM

Shit.  Really?  Man... fuck.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 04:40:40 AM

I can't speak for Nioh, but I'm playing Horizon on a standard PS4 and it's fucking gorgeous. So far the gameplay is derivative but very well done for what it is.

I'm sure it looks great, I'm just stuck in this weird middle-ground where I just got a 4k tv (which my PC is hooked up to also which has worked well). I kinda want to get a Pro, but it doesn't have a UHD drive and it's still a little pricey considering my standard PS4 has largely been a Rocksmith machine. Then I think about getting the upgraded Xbox when it comes out since it has a drive capable of playing UHD discs, but UHD movies are still overpriced and with poor selection and the first party exclusives for Xbox are all supposed to come to PC (unless MS already gave up on that).

So ultimately my choice is to either just say fuck it and just play the games on the standard PS4, wait for a price drop on the Pro at some point and hold off on the games until then, be stupid and buy a Pro and the games now, or just play PC stuff I already have since the new Mass Effect game is only a few weeks away.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 08:02:41 AM

the first party exclusives for Xbox are all supposed to come to PC (unless MS already gave up on that).
I sure the hell hope so, since it means I can play a football game for the first time since 2k5.

And yeah, this game looks cool but not $750 cool.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 08:05:11 AM

Man I'm loving this so far.  It looks amazing, plays great and the story is interesting.  It actually reminds me quite a bit of Witcher 3, in a good way.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 08:15:17 AM

the first party exclusives for Xbox are all supposed to come to PC (unless MS already gave up on that).
I sure the hell hope so, since it means I can play a football game for the first time since 2k5.

I'm pretty sure Madden will not be an XBox One exclusive.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 09:31:10 AM

True, but I thought it was 'if it works on Xbox Scorpio, it works on Win10' kinda thing.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 09:39:50 AM

I hadn't heard that but I'd welcome it. I too miss having an NFL video game even if Madden has been pretty shitty in comparison to the NFL2k series of games.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 09:53:27 AM

It's not all games, they have to be UWP applications (Universal Windows Platform).  It's their new-ish software architecture that allows people to write an application and publish it to multiple devices/platforms (i.e. desktop and mobile).  In this case it's Windows 10 and Xbox.  The biggest hurdle for a game like Madden would be that currently UWP apps have to installed from the Windows store.  If EA were going to publish a PC version they would likely want to do it on Origin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_Live_games_on_Windows_10
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #16 on: March 01, 2017, 10:30:50 AM

Man I'm loving this so far.  It looks amazing, plays great and the story is interesting.  It actually reminds me quite a bit of Witcher 3, in a good way.

Yeah, though I'm going to start over tonight on very hard. Game is really easy so far. It does remind me of Witcher 3 but with a drastically simplified inventory. It's good, no complaints so far.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #17 on: March 01, 2017, 11:33:01 AM

This looks really awful streamed, or at least I seem to be turning in during boring spots.

I hope this comes to PC eventually. I don't see a PS4 Pro in my future anytime soon.

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 01:27:10 PM

This game is developed by Guerrilla Games, most well known for their Killzone games, and is a studio owned by Sony. This game is considered a "system seller" and Sony traditionally does not port those kinds of games to the PC (think the Uncharted or Gran Turismo games) so the chances this game will get ported to the PC are almost nil.

Also you don't need a PS4 Pro to play -- it's just one of the few games currently that properly supports 4k (checkerboard). If you are running at 1080p the benefits are minimal.

Edit: known
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 01:34:36 PM by Trippy »
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 08:03:51 PM

It's running fine on our PS4. Very pretty, although a couple hours of intense staring trying to spot targets through the ground clutter in the weird reddish sunset-type light has left my eyes very tired. TV is 65" 1080p(I think) led, not HD. As likely to be due to age as the game graphics though!

It's pretty fun. Felt like it was on rails then I stepped off the (literally) beaten path and started exploring and completely lost track of time while making no progress on the main quest. very nice.

Very heavy Skyrim vibes from stealth archer combat to gathering and even many of the UI elements.

The character models are a bit plastic-y though. And the facial animation reminds me of that Final Fantasy movie.

I really dislike the gamepad aiming, wish it was PC/mouse, although I'm getting kind of used to it. Inventory handling and crafting are the best UI and ease-of-use I've encountered on any console game, and better than far too many PC games even without consoleitis.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 09:00:15 PM

Same here.  I just can't use a controller for anything other than fighting and racing games anymore.  I've been spoiled by M&K for all these years.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 02, 2017, 08:14:51 AM

It has some stealth elements (grass cover, plus the ability to Sneak Attack! from the grass), crafting, and gathering.  It's pretty.  It's been fun for the first couple hours, and I hope that doesn't change.

I do hope at some point I get to wipe out the tribe.  They're a bunch of assholes.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #22 on: March 02, 2017, 08:37:41 AM

They aren't all assholes.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 02, 2017, 09:11:34 AM

The practice of shunning is authoritarian meanness turned up to 11. Shunning a child is an atrocity.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 02, 2017, 03:25:10 PM

I have to agree that using the bow isn't the best.  I've only really used it so far when I had to during the tutorial, and not much outside of that.  I'm sure that will change once I can no longer Sneak Attack! things to death in one shot with my spear.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 02, 2017, 07:23:59 PM

I'm getting pretty darn good with a bow, got levels 6 - 8 tonight, one-shotting watchers in the eye and striders on their backpack at long range. Scavengers I haven't figured out, sometimes i do massive damage and sometimes none at all on direct hits. Also bagged a bunch of geese and boars (boar takes two shots now, was 3 or 4 with first weapon) and a few fox and rabbit. rabbits are really hard though, little bunnies won't hold still!

But yeah, once in melee range I'm whacking things with my spear as I dodge around, usually hitting the wrong button and dealing with doing something very different than what I'd planned.  Fortunately it seems to confuse the mobs as much as me! why so serious?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #26 on: March 02, 2017, 07:50:44 PM

The camera is in pretty tight so when you roll away most of the time you lose track of your target and basically just hope for the best.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #27 on: March 02, 2017, 09:06:10 PM

I've been working on a stealth build and just killing shit when they least expect it. Pop out of the tall grass that your ginger hair conveniently blends into and then pop out, stab mobs in the face and then disappear again. Silent strike and death from above are a helluva drug.

Also,

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 03, 2017, 08:09:56 PM

The console controller does have the advantage of two analog joysticks, which make it possible to have incredibly fluid, flexible and precise control of your character not really possible with M&K. Of course, that's a theoretical possibility which would have had a much higher probability for me several decades ago!

Playing this thing on our 65" TV and near-audiophile sound system is really incredible.

We've encountered no bugs and no horrible design choices. AI pathfinding seems quite competent. The overall fit and finish is quite good. While obviously taking inspiration from both Skyrim and Fallout this is definitely NOT a Bethesda game needing 5 patches before becoming relatively stable and complete and never even attempting to polish any of the rough edges off.

Voice acting is fantastic. Save spots have so far been frequent enough that it's really not that far to the nearest at any given time.

Still wish it was on the PC, but Sony.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 06, 2017, 09:43:37 AM

Man I use the bow all the time.  The first time I had to take down a belcher before I had the right equipment was a looong fight  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?.  After that, I went and bought all the weapon types I could find.  Now I constantly rotate between 2 bows, the trip caster and a slingshot.  For humans and the small stuff stealth is the way to go though for sure.  Sneaking through the grass in that game is great.  Also fun is whistling at a watcher then shooting him in the eye.

I had heard the game was kinda easy so I started on hard.   I think it was a good choice, it'is definitely is challenging at times.  Most everything bigger than a watcher has the ability to 1 shot you in some way.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 06, 2017, 02:31:11 PM

Same its glass smooth and so pretty it causes my 80 year old mom to stop in her tracks and oo and awe at it. If your game is pretty enough to get mom to even notice it let alone comment on it they done good. I am sure its spectacular in 4k but I am not sure if it loses much on normal ps4 at 1080.

I am pretty shocked even on big fights with lots of dinos crashing around and shit exploding I have never had a frame rate dip.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #31 on: March 06, 2017, 02:35:39 PM

I've been in a few places with frame rate drops but they are rare.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #32 on: March 06, 2017, 06:08:26 PM

I'm probably about 3/4 of the way through the main quest line and this thing just keeps getting better. And all the feels are being felt.

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 08, 2017, 08:36:53 PM

I will say that this is the best game I've played in years, hands down.  Although I haven't played any of the Witchers or Dragon Ages yet.

I'm beyond impressed with not only the play but the professional polish on EVERYTHING. Graphics, music, animations, sound effects, game balance, all the game systems, controls, story, you name it. No bugs at all to speak of that we've seen. One place had mob sound effects that didn't go away when they were all dead. Or at least I think they were all dead! LOL

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #34 on: March 08, 2017, 08:41:50 PM

I took my time in the opening area before following the main quest to "The Proving", including going back to visit the caves from the earliest bit of the game (worth it!), trying to get my skills up to the point I felt I could live up to the training montage.  I'm still pretty crap at rapid and accurate aim with the controller, but am getting better than the bullet time aim skill helps a bit too.

The writing and voice acting is a little hit or miss, and the facial and character animation in cut-scenes is clunky at times, but wow it is just a beautiful world to explore.  Love the critters.

I *really* enjoyed the revelations after The Proving.

There's a running and jumping sequence in The Proving that worked really well for me in a way that such things often don't in these games -- I wasn't terribly confused about where I should be going and the mechanics worked for rather than against me.  (Compare vs The Last Guardian which I loved, but holy shit the control scheme actively hosed me a number of times)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Horizon: Zero Dawn  
Jump to: