Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:42:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: For Honor 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: For Honor  (Read 6779 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: February 09, 2017, 10:13:32 PM

Game releases Feb 14th. Requires Ubisoft Uplay account for PC players.

Open Beta is now live, available through Feb 12th.

http://forhonor.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/home/

https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/For%20Honor

3rd person melee dueling game with 3 factions --  Knights, Samurai and Vikings. Has both PvP and PvE and a semi-persistent Faction War meta game (campaign map resets every 10 weeks).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 10:58:24 PM by Trippy »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 10:58:54 PM

Plays better with a controller on PC.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 08:27:38 AM

There's some neat stuff here, but it really doesn't seem like a $60 game. The game model would probably do better as a F2P with player unlocks for cash.

I would snag the Gold version for $20-$30 though. Some of it depends on what the 'season pass' entails. Ubisoft is bad at clearly describing what the extra $40 for their games is actually for.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 10:23:04 AM

It's not a $60 game -- it's a $60 game with P2W microtransactions* awesome, for real

* currently Dominion mode only, subject to change without notice, void where prohibited
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 01:45:16 PM

I gave it a good hour today.

It's actually really fun, not sure how "deep" it is, but the fighting seems to be pretty good.  I've only really done the domination (zone control) mode, but it's fun to fight the other 'heroes' on the battlefield while chaos rains down.

But $60 for purchase seems a bit steep.
Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 02:29:11 PM

Greenmangaming's got all the versions for 20% off if you are thinking of buying it.

As for whether it's worth it or not, treat it like a fighting game. It's got a decent learning curve, heavily reaction based and requires a good awareness of your surroundings due to possible multiple opponents and environment hazzards.

I've not been interested in any fighting games since I was a kid, and while this isn't purely one itself, I've been enjoying it enough to buy it methinks. My main problem is the heroes I want to really play haven't been available since December, though I've heard rumors that they might pop in on the last day of this beta event. Not holding out hope though, so I'm mostly just fighting level 3 bots this time trying to get better at blocking, parrying and guard breaking.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 02:54:41 PM

Tried this out a bit yesterday and I just couldn't get into it.  I understand what they were going for with the combat but it just feels clunky, esp. with a m+k.  It might be better with a controller but I don't play games on my pc that require one.  Pass.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 03:00:58 PM

Yes the blocking mechanic using K+M is really bad.
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 07:22:39 AM

Played the beta over the weekend on Xbox One. Once I got some time into it and learned the moves this became a pretty fun game. I also mostly played Dominion which is the 4 vs. 4 capture points mode, and enjoyed it enough. The upgrade system seemed ok, the skills or feats were decent enough as you earned them. This is a game you'll want to put your time into in order to learn the mechanics well if you want to be competitive. The vs. AI modes were fun, but I can see them getting old quick, but I'm not sure if as you level the AI gets better in that mode. 1v1 was not interesting to me because you're basically moving your sticks to the on screen prompts. I know it's been said this is more like a fighting game, but I don't recall those showing on screen prompts to follow like a QTE game. That mode was more like a rhythm game without any rhythm.

That said I encountered loads network issues on the Xbox version that ultimately proved too frustrating to continue. The worst being any time I stayed in matchmaking for a few rounds, then quit back to main menu, I was unable to get back into a pvp game. Quitting the game and relaunching produced same results, with the only fix being a hard boot of the system (the old hold down power button for 5-10 seconds).

I'll have to see if this improves and certainly not paying full price for it. I can see picking it up on sale for $20 or $30, which I bet you'll be able to do soon, IF and when they improve connectivity on Xbox. Not interested in the community on the PC version having skimmed through the subreddit, but maybe that has to do with it being open beta and payed version will weed out the folks only interested in stupid memes.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 11:34:25 AM

The vs. AI modes were fun, but I can see them getting old quick, but I'm not sure if as you level the AI gets better in that mode.
Practice mode let's you adjust the AI difficulty. Open Beta only had "0" and "1" settings though supposedly release will go from 0 - 3. It's unknown if custom games vs AI in release will let you adjust the AI difficulty in the same manner. Hopefully it will.

1v1 was not interesting to me because you're basically moving your sticks to the on screen prompts. I know it's been said this is more like a fighting game, but I don't recall those showing on screen prompts to follow like a QTE game. That mode was more like a rhythm game without any rhythm.
It is a fighting game, despite having the blocking prompts. If all you did was follow the blocking prompts you would never kill your opponent so at some point you have to ignore that stuff and do your own thing.

That said I encountered loads network issues on the Xbox version that ultimately proved too frustrating to continue. The worst being any time I stayed in matchmaking for a few rounds, then quit back to main menu, I was unable to get back into a pvp game. Quitting the game and relaunching produced same results, with the only fix being a hard boot of the system (the old hold down power button for 5-10 seconds).
Could be a NAT issue. For Honor, thanks to its peer-to-peer hosting design, is very particular about how your NAT is setup.
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 12:22:17 PM

]
Could be a NAT issue. For Honor, thanks to its peer-to-peer hosting design, is very particular about how your NAT is setup.
I did see a post today on the Ubi forums where a suggestion was the clear the cache on the Xbox. That's something I hadn't tried because I'd completely forgot it was a thing. My NAT is open on Xbox, I've got everything set up for that on my router, and the game showed green open as well... except one point after a network error it went to red strict in game, still open in Xbox net settings. Had to reboot the router that time. Anyway, too late to test more. Until a big sale I'll hold tight on this one. I do hope the game takes off and is supported well.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 10:30:27 PM

Game is live.

If you want to play as FemShep in story mode
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 01:36:02 PM

I think I'm going to buy this.  I've been thinking about it ever since playing a couple hours during last weekend.  The fighting system does feel sufficiently deep with feints, guards, ranges and speeds varying between all the characters.

It's really fun, not sure how the legs on it are, and I don't trust Ubisoft to deliver fun beyond the novelty that's there.

Hopefully the servers aren't dead by next week when I have a chance to play. Also, what the fuck no couch coop for a fighting game.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 02:48:37 PM

Well the cheats on the PC may kill that platform for PvP but it should be fine on the other platforms (for now).
lesion

Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 04:00:28 PM

According to the stats I've spent seven minutes playing PvP and I've already had group join errors, connection issues when spawning in a map, and a full-blown program lock up due to vague desynchronization of the whole group. At least it's been a gorgeous and pretty fun seven minutes.

steam|a grue \[T]/
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 08:28:20 AM

According to the stats I've spent seven minutes playing PvP and I've already had group join errors, connection issues when spawning in a map, and a full-blown program lock up due to vague desynchronization of the whole group. At least it's been a gorgeous and pretty fun seven minutes.
This is my issue right. The beta was fun when I was actually playing, and I keep thinking about picking it up, but I don't want to spend $48 (with my Best Buy club thing) and have to work around issues to get to the fun. I just don't know if the single player and vs. AI content, which appears to work fine, is enough to warrant full price right now. I know I will immediately want to get into PvP which is where I think the real fun is.

And I also see a lot of discussion surrounding cheats on PC platform already, hope they can sort that out quick. This is a large reason I've been choosing the Xbox version of my more recent multiplayer purchases lately, which is a conscious trade off in the graphics department.
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 07:29:50 AM

This is my issue right. The beta was fun when I was actually playing, and I keep thinking about picking it up, but I don't want to spend $48 (with my Best Buy club thing) and have to work around issues to get to the fun. I just don't know if the single player and vs. AI content, which appears to work fine, is enough to warrant full price right now. I know I will immediately want to get into PvP which is where I think the real fun is.
Forget it. I am weak.

Good news is that after putting 5 hours into this last night, on Xbox One, I'm happy to report the connectivity issues I was worried about are appearing less than in beta. But some are still there, like the one that forces me to hard reboot just to get to the main menu on launch. That only happened once so I didn't try clearing cache yet. Only 1 or 2 "re-synchronizing" pauses during gameplay. And twice Dominion matchmaking dumped me into a match of pvp 4v4 where I was the only non-bot. I still hope they sort this stuff out. I split my time equally between pvp, vs. AI, and story mode.

This game makes me want to work on improving my gameplay. I can pretty much reflect on every death and understand where I went wrong. I surprisingly had a lot of fun and challenge in 1v1 battles vs. bots learning movesets and tactics. I'm old and not so good at these games anymore, so the bots prove a decent challenge to me and each different class will present a bot that plays with different moves. Story mode... meh... decent enough to play through but don't show up just for this.
lesion

Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 03:42:07 AM

This game makes me want to work on improving my gameplay. I can pretty much reflect on every death and understand where I went wrong. I surprisingly had a lot of fun and challenge in 1v1 battles vs. bots learning movesets and tactics. I'm old and not so good at these games anymore, so the bots prove a decent challenge to me and each different class will present a bot that plays with different moves.
They seem to have found the sweet spot between super-dexterous combo chains and being an older, less-giving-of-fucks gamer. I was never good at fighting game moves but I'm finding the guard system simple enough to do well with. Having easy/medium champions with less complex moves which are still able to hold their own is pretty great.

If they tone down the microtrans shit and improve some of the network issues I would like this game a lot more than I already do.

steam|a grue \[T]/
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 11:15:42 AM

I'm really enjoying this game.  To the point where I had a dream about Valhalla.

I like the fight mechanics, and I like the environmental factor (have to pay attention to edges/spikes/fire so you don't get shoved).  There's a lot of positioning and blocking, and the game feels really defensive but there's also feints and throws and timings that make it so you can get punished for being a turtle.

The different characters play differently enough that I have a really hard time switching between them.  Muscle memory messes you up, especially switching between a block/counter heavy character (like the Viking Warlord) to a dodge/swipe heavy character (the Samurai Orochi).  There's a bunch of loot involved that seems to add some reasonable longevity to character development.  But it could use some more tuning.  Some gamemodes don't use loot benefits so that's nice.

The levels are pretty varied too, with different maps for each of the modes (1v1, 2v2, 4v4 deathmatch, 4v4 capture point). 

I've got one super large gripe and one smaller gripe.

The big one that sucks is that the netcode seems like dogshit for actually loading up between levels or whenever someones connection hiccups.  It pauses the whole game when someone drops and totally shits the bed sometimes dropping everyone to lobby.  That's not a big deal for short 1v1 games, but when playing Skirmish (deathmatch to 1000 points) and getting the kicked to lobby is just horseshit, ESPECIALLY when there's no option to rejoin a game in progress.  Note here that it will break your party group as well so that's a big fuckity what the fuck.

Smaller gripe is the UI outside the fighting is dog shit with extra menus and hidden information with no forethought to what menu selections might be most used. 

That said, it's been damn fun and can see it having legs if they ever figure out the ranked sessions. 
lesion

Reply #19 on: February 26, 2017, 07:43:13 PM

I'm not sure if this has been pointed out elsewhere but when queuing for multiplayer matches you can switch Matchmaking off (go to the match settings) to just play against bots and still get rewards (though I think less xp). No disconnects!

steam|a grue \[T]/
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #20 on: February 26, 2017, 07:49:58 PM

I would love to just duel bots 1v1 but their reward system is broken in that mode and has been since at least Open Beta.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 07:58:22 PM

Necro...

I never played this because the price was dumb with kinda bad reviews. Currently it has a free weekend right now with steep discounts on Steam. They also have dedicated servers now too.

Anyway, tried it out for an hour in story mode. Was pretty fun.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #22 on: May 05, 2018, 11:52:18 AM

I remember that I wanted this game for the multiplayer and that was such a huge disappointment. But today I tried the single player for the first time and I am having fun. Not that the combat is really engaging, but the movie-like presentation and the visual quality is entertaining. Especially for 10 dollars.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: For Honor  
Jump to: