Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:08:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Riverdale 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Riverdale  (Read 3031 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

on: January 27, 2017, 07:28:27 AM

It's Archie Comics mixed with Twin Peaks. It's like a trainwreck I couldn't take my eyes off of, which is pretty funny considering that in the first episode Archie is laying the pipe to Ms. Grundy.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 07:30:37 AM

I saw the trailer for it and just WTFed my way into never watching it.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 08:30:41 AM

Wait, so it actually IS that Riverdale? I saw a commercial for it and thought, "well that's an odd choice for a name since its so antithetical to Archie."

The fuck?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 08:36:35 AM

Yes, it's a CW'ing modern reimagining of the Archie Comics as a dark murder mystery-ish thing.

Your What the Fuck should be the default response to this for anyone over 30.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 09:10:22 AM

So if I never read those Archie comics it should be fine watching it (its not like German Netflix gives us that much to choose from)?

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 09:31:33 AM

It came on after Supernatural I think so I saw about 20 minutes of it.  It weird and made me feel angsty.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 06:19:57 PM

So if I never read those Archie comics it should be fine watching it (its not like German Netflix gives us that much to choose from)?

Yes. I barely know archie and I'm probably going to watch this because I like shows most of F13 hates

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 06:44:42 PM

I only vaguely remember reading a couple of Archie comics way back in the day, I plan on waiting and binging it when there is a full season.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 08:30:18 PM

I read Archie comics and quite enjoyed this. I know it's hipster cool to hate on stuff like this but fuck it. It wasn't perfect but it was definitely kind of a fun re-imagining and it has the full involvement of the current head of the Archie comic books, so there's that.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 06:00:27 AM

Wasn't hating on it I was just amazed at the turn of tone. Thus my "wtf."

It's like the Teletubbies doing a grimdark reboot where they are gay and on drugs so its a Trainspotting/ Rent/ Teletubbies mash-up.

But it's really just another case of, "building a new brand takes work. Let's just reuse this existing one..."

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 06:23:51 AM

Are you telling me that the teletubbies aren't gay and on drugs? What do you think that sparkly stuff in Tinky Winky's purse is? If that ain't molly....

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 08:49:42 AM

The Archie comics have lately become pretty interesting testbeds for concept-reinterpretation, so this is just following on that. It's not like you could put a true-to-the-60s Archie show up on TV today--it would look stupid, partly because it would in fact *be* stupid.
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 11:27:01 AM

I don't think it's only "lately." I remember Archie comics with aliens, spy stories, the Christian propaganda one that existed mostly to push weekly tithing (Betty, of course, was the role model), and way more. It's always been a format that lent itself to that sort of thing. Just now they are pushing it farther.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 05, 2017, 09:28:38 AM

Archie comics through the 00's and 10's has already embraced the "grimdark" reboot concept wholeheartedly. There have been zombie issues where pretty much everybody got turned (with EC comics level gore), an issue where Archie took a bullet for a gay friend, time travel issues (featuring the Ramones!)...

Haven't seen Riverdale yet, but now it's on my must watch list.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Riverdale  
Jump to: