Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:07:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Split 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Split  (Read 5076 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

on: January 25, 2017, 04:34:03 PM

If you liked some of Shyamalan's earlier works, like Untouchable Unbreakable, you should go see this movie.  ASAP.  

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 06:38:12 PM by jgsugden »

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 04:50:26 PM

Do you mean Unbreakable?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 07:25:43 PM

I heard this today and immediately changed my mind about wanting to this this movie. Unbreakable is still one of my favorite movies ever.

Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 05:01:52 AM

Saw it a couple days ago.  Not as fond of it as Unbreakable or The Sixth Sense, but it's miles better than anything else he's put out.  McAvoy is great in it.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 06:46:28 AM

Huh, I never would have guessed that it would be part of the Unbreakable universe. Knowing that Willis shows up at the end probably spoils things a bit as I'd seen enough trailers to largely get where the story was going.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 01:50:12 PM

Why not use spoiler text ?  MNS was intentional there in how he laid things out.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 01:52:52 PM

Yup, I had no idea about the thing Merusk mentioned.  Makes me much more interested in the film than I had been previously, but also potentially spoiled a big surprise.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 02:03:53 PM

You cannot vaguely hint that "the new Shyamalan film has a surprise at the end" and receive anything other than a roll of the eyes. If it's good enough, it doesn't matter if it's spoiled.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 02:50:28 PM

You cannot vaguely hint that "the new Shyamalan film has a surprise at the end" and receive anything other than a roll of the eyes. If it's good enough, it doesn't matter if it's spoiled.
If it is good enough, you don't want it spoiled.  You want to experience the twist as a twist.  That is a very different experience than going into the film knowing what is going to happen.  His films always have a twist.  Everyone expects one.  The question is whether he manages to keep you from seeing it before it unrolls.  Spoiling it for others is just a jackass thing to do.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 02:08:18 PM

I saw this movie yesterday and liked it.

Also, $50k of the money donated to this girl is James McAvoy, so go see his movie.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 04:37:54 PM

I liked The Sixth Sense.

I loved Unbreakable.

I found Signs and The Village to be annoyingly but ultimately just ordinary-bad stupid.

Lady in the Water is one of the most awful acts of grotesquely unaware self-indulgence in the history of cinema. I wanted to punch him for it.

The Last Airbender is a nasty violation of a fantastic property but honestly most of Hollywood would have fucked it up, he just fucked it up and added his own hackery to it.

Should I see this?
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 05:41:32 PM

I vote yes. It's not perfect, but it's a definite return to form. It's an A- from me.

I actually went into this not knowing that it was M Night Shyamalan's latest -- we were escaping the Sydney summer heat in an air-conditioned cinema, and just picked the next available movie. When I saw the director's name come up at the start I remembered I had heard M Night's latest was actually pretty decent, and I've always liked James McAvoy, so I was a keen viewer all of a sudden. I had no idea what to expect from it, so I was taken on a completely unexpected journey. My wife liked it too.

Disclaimer: I did enjoy the intensity of Signs and The Village despite their flaws. I haven't seen any of his recent stuff, as it wasn't well reviewed.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:48:28 PM by Tale »
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 07:18:49 AM

The amount of years-later-love for Unbreakable is astonishing to me. I remember it was one of the most poorly paced and most telegraphed movies I'd ever seen.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 11:39:00 AM

This wasn't what I was expecting from the shorts and I enjoyed it. I hadn't had the reveal spoilered and it took a few sweconds to click

Worth a bag of popcorn and McAvoy was great

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 03:24:12 PM

The amount of years-later-love for Unbreakable is astonishing to me. I remember it was one of the most poorly paced and most telegraphed movies I'd ever seen.

Yes, but bear in mind it did that 'realistic hero' shit waaaay before Dark Knight.

It was kinda godsend from that perspective.

(But you're right, I hated it.  Wee boy and Shrew wife and dickhead husband slowly melting down over a couple of hours.  Only Sam saved it for me.)

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 09:53:10 AM

I finally watched this last night. I have been a HUGE fan of Unbreakable and also supremely disappointed in everything Shyamalan has done since then - it's all been overwrought shit.

While this movie does suffer from some of his trademark annoying tendencies (there's one conversation where the camera refuses to show both speakers, in fact making sure to keep one of the speakers' heads half out of frame the entire time), it is on the whole BRILLIANT. The "twist" of making it part of the Unbreakable universe (which was the only reason I wanted to see this) was ham-fisted at best. What saved this movie, though, was James McAvoy. He is absolutely incredible in this and will probably never get the credit he really deserves for carrying this movie.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Split  
Jump to: