Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:06:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Tech Issue: Laptop ipconfig is Banjaxed 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tech Issue: Laptop ipconfig is Banjaxed  (Read 2923 times)
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

on: January 06, 2017, 02:52:51 AM

Which means not working. I seemed to recall a general purpose tech thread but couldn't find it so I'm starting a new topic for halp!

Not sure what the issue is, Windows 10 laptop which has suddenly developed an issue of not having a default gateway when connected to a network (wired or Wi-Fi) and I've tried on a few different networks. Ran through all the normal steps, Command prompt with ipconfig, int ip reset (or whatevs) with nothing working (and the automated troubleshooter of course). Of note, ipconfig /release and /renew both give a failed message. Default gateway is always blank.

I have manually configured the IPv4 on my home wifi and it works fine but I don't think I'd survive having to manually configure it every time I took the laptop outside and would rather not have a laptop that only works at home. Are there any likely culprits to look at or necessary steps (to rule out complex problems) I should take? Or any decent guides that will let me run through all the likely fixes and leave me having to do something hideous like a fresh Windows install if they don't succeed?

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 04:30:37 AM

Have you tried

command prompt with admin rights > "netsh winsock reset" > followed by a reboot

?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 04:33:06 AM

Winsock reset above likely will fix it.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 05:04:33 AM

Dur swamp poop Thank you that did fix it. I had actually attempted it before but hadn't tried it and then restarted, did a few other things including the manual IP config and then when I restarted things hadn't fixed. Tried it this time and restarted straight after running that. Things seem to be working again. Thanks Cal and Chimpy!

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 05:12:42 AM

Winsock reset above likely will fix it.

*pats Chimpy on the back* We are awesome!  Heart

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Tech Issue: Laptop ipconfig is Banjaxed  
Jump to: