Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:19:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: f13 Game of the Year 2016 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: f13 Game of the Year 2016  (Read 14149 times)
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: December 29, 2016, 10:58:29 PM

The only 2016 game I really played was Deus Ex and I even failed to play that thru.
As for time spent Paradox games (EU4, CK2, Stellaris) are the clear top 3 of the year for me.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #36 on: December 30, 2016, 09:22:43 AM

Seconding Ginaz. World of Warships for my by a WIDE margin. Followed at a distant second by Planetside 2.

I'm surprised at the enthusiasm for Firewatch. I was not particularly grabbed by the game, quite a few hours in. I'm curious as to what folks found so great to nominate it so many times.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #37 on: December 30, 2016, 09:25:13 AM

Quite a few hours in Firewatch? So, you finished it? It's a four hour game.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: December 30, 2016, 09:58:21 AM

Firewatch was not a fun or particular good "game", but it is probably my favorite example so far of using the medium to tell a story about realistic characters. It's just a nice little romp around the mountains that mainly exists to get you thinking about some of the things the characters were dealing with and to experience some of that. Gone Home is probably the other candidate for best game like that in my opinion, while other games like Dear Esther haven't had enough going on for me.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #39 on: December 30, 2016, 10:30:41 AM

Firewatch was not a fun or particular good "game", but it is probably my favorite example so far of using the medium to tell a story about realistic characters. It's just a nice little romp around the mountains that mainly exists to get you thinking about some of the things the characters were dealing with and to experience some of that. Gone Home is probably the other candidate for best game like that in my opinion, while other games like Dear Esther haven't had enough going on for me.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is another, which is definitely on my list of favorite "games" that I played last year.

I had fun for six weeks with the WoW expac and *almost* thought I was hooked again. It's not game of the year status though. I'm going to go with

1. Witcher 3
2a. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
2b. Firewatch
3. Skyrim?? The remaster on PS4 has grabbed me again. Hyper Light Drifter

I'm still playing Waash_Dogs_2(mixing snake & camel case edition), DeusEx:MD, Titanfall2, Final Fantasy XV all on PS4, and Tyrrany on PC.

I also just realized that I played the first few hours of a LOT of games this year and never actually beat many.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: December 31, 2016, 03:55:38 PM

New games in 2016?

1. XCOM 2
2. Civ 6
3. Invisible, Inc. (new to me in 2016)

That's it.

Most played?

1. CS: GO.
WayAbvPar

Reply #41 on: December 31, 2016, 10:04:46 PM

Just got FIFA 17 on Christmas night, but have put several hours into it already. It is fun.

Have played a lot of HEX (I think I am finally starting to get a feel for the new set), and a ton of theHunter. Civ VI is fun, and will be even better when expansions and patches hit. Planar Conquest is even sorta fun now, if you can't find Masters of Magic anywhere. Thinking about starting in on the old Bard's Tale games that were packaged with the new one on Steam.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: January 01, 2017, 08:12:02 PM

Stardew Valley.
Overwatch.
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: January 01, 2017, 09:59:13 PM

If Minecraft mod packs released in 2016 count, then Minecraft by a mile.

Otherwise, Stardew Valley.

I just don't feel compelled to buy games when they come out anymore, between "Early Access" crap, the inevitable DLC, and multiple rounds of bug fixes or mods to fix egregious consolitis.

For anyone who doesn't have it, Master of Magic is on GoG. Well worth the $6 it normally goes for, and it often drops to a couple of bucks during various sales.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #44 on: January 01, 2017, 10:45:15 PM

Quite a few hours in Firewatch? So, you finished it? It's a four hour game.

Wow. I finally finished a game under a schild given estimate.

I liked it.  Wouldn't say GOTY for me, but again, didn't really play many 2016 exclusives. I seem to like walking sims. Loved Gone Home(all 90 minutes of it). Life is Strange had more actual gameplay, but not much, and that was thoroughly enjoyed as well.

Witcher 3 was released so late in 2015 it should count.  So, overall, I'm going with that.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 10:47:57 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #45 on: January 03, 2017, 06:47:46 AM

No one has mentioned FFXV so I might surmise that the local thread for it has blood-smeared walls.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #46 on: January 03, 2017, 07:22:48 AM

I can tell you that the Firewatch PS4 theme is by far the best one that I have found.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: January 03, 2017, 07:28:46 AM

XCOM2 and not much else.

If late-2015 games count, then Underrail is definitely my GOTY... probably the best Fallout-like game I've ever played and didn't get old even after 130+ hours. Yea, the game is janky as shit, but I can deal -- and hey, there's an expansion pack coming out this year too!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 07:30:34 AM by Zetor »

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: January 05, 2017, 03:37:52 AM

XCOM2 I found myself wishing for Long War features. Espeicially recovery time for troops and a campaign clearly balanced for you to lose some missions.

Still enjoying Total Warhammer.

Although Marvel Heroes has gone downhill while Gazilllion prep it for consoles, it is still the thing I play most when I wish to click on things until they die.

This is a much more varied thread than it usually is, which is nice.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #49 on: January 05, 2017, 12:30:07 PM

Wow, what a crappy year for games. I only have over 8 hours played on one game in steam that came out in 2016 and that's Civ VI at 28 hours.

So I'll go with games that got the most play from me this year:

Fallout 4
MGS V
Hex
Civ V

(pokemon go)

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: January 06, 2017, 04:13:14 PM

I'm going to go off the page a bit here.

1. Motorsport Manager - If you love Football manager and you love formula 1 racing, you'll quickly become addicted to this game.  Plenty of flaws, but very addictive.

2. American Truck Simulator - Euro Truck sim in Cali/Az/Nv area.  Fun and relaxing.

3. Football Manager 2016 - 'nuff said

Overwatch would have made the list, but I'm old and too fucking slow to enjoy it.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: January 10, 2017, 03:07:08 PM

I started Hitman in one of the last weeks of the year and it's absolutely my favorite thing I played in 2016.  Replaying levels for comedic value (the car lift in Colorado had me laughing so hard it hurt) has sort of become a thing now, and that's on top of the stuff it has for you to do with a straight face.

Oddly, chatting with my brother while streaming it for him to watch has become a thing as well.  He just had a girl, so he doesn't have time to play games, but can watch The Hitman Show and yak while keeping an eye on the baby.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 03:10:00 PM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: January 11, 2017, 09:42:50 AM

Congrats to your brother.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: f13 Game of the Year 2016  
Jump to: