Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:42:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: NieR: Automata 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NieR: Automata  (Read 7387 times)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

on: December 22, 2016, 02:23:46 PM

Release: March 7, 2017

This demo dropped today on PS4 and I like it. I had no idea of what they were going to do with this game and had no expectations for it. It's not the same type of game as NieR, which was my favorite game of last-gen. But it retains enough of the theme and setting that I think it will be good. Like NieR, it jumps between 3D and 2D; it has a much stronger platformer feel to the demo.

Fingers crossed that the game is as good as the demo.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 05:59:30 PM

That was fun.  Looking forward to this one!
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 07:38:00 AM

The character interactions in the demo are a little goofy but man the actual game looks great.  I love the different perspective changes as well.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 08:09:32 AM

Saw a stream of this and it looks excellent.

Hic sunt dracones.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 02:38:03 PM

Looks like this is getting a PC release too, on March 17.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 09:17:45 AM

Yep, I saw it on Steam for $60.  Ouch.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 10:51:43 AM

Noticed the PC specs for this one and someone at square enix hq must think that console have some serious gpu because on PC minimum requirement is gtx770, recommended is gtx 980. Witcher 3 had gtx 770 as recommended.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 09:23:06 AM

I think I'll wait a few days and grab the PC release.  I haven't had any major issues with Square Enix games on PC, so hopefully they just overestimated the PC specs.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 08:47:00 PM

If you get it for PS4, wait for it to *entirely* install, otherwise you can end up after the intro mission thing unable to *save* until it finishes installing the rest of the 48GB game in the background...
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 12:18:39 PM

Green Man is offering a discount, bringing price down to $49

My daughter loves Square's wispy, angsty protagonists, so she'll be hogging my rig to play this over spring break.  Ohhhhh, I see.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 12:20:28 PM

2B is not a FF-type hero(ine).
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 02:17:58 PM

My bad.  The trailer I saw had a blonde waif earnestly proclaiming her beliefs in the face of hopeless and decay.  They were certainly selling the idea of a FF-type setting really hard.  But I haven't played it.

If the plot unfolds along a different path, I'll be happier, tho my daughter may be sadder!

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 11:06:08 AM

As is usually the case for Squeenix PC ports the game on the PC has some technical issues including not being able to display 1080p fullscreen correctly (shows game content at 1600 x 900 with black borders) and doesn't support the PS4 controller Facepalm

Fullscreen issue can be worked around with something like Borderless Gaming*. Haven't found a solution for the PS4 controller issue yet. It does work fine with the Xbox controller, however.

* Alt-Enter from Windowed mode doesn't work, it's smart and knows to switch back to 1600 x 900 black border mode.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 06:59:06 AM

I had to reboot the game twice to get it to stick but I did finally get it running in 1920x1080.  The only issue is that it seems to occasionally reset to 1600x900 when I relaunch the game.

So I didn't have much of a weekend, so I only got to put a few hours into this.  I have mixed feelings on it so far.  The action parts are great.  The way it flips perspectives to mimic different genres of games feels really new and awesome.  The game play isn't DMC or Bayonetta level but it is good.  I also really the character art, and the music so far has been excellent.  After the opening bits you spend some time on this space station which again is visually interesting.

Then they drop you off in another part of the game that is like this super b-tier RPG.  The textures are all really bland and uninteresting with tons of invisible walls.  There's these doorways in the buildings and half of them you can walk through and half of them are invisible walls and they look identical.  Also there's a super uninspired fishing mini-game.

Anyways, right away they give you two side quests (that aren't actually side quests, you have to do them to unlock the main story).  The one has you collecting some random parts off machines.  So I go to the area on the map with the big red 'loot here' circle and there are 3 small robots and 1 large robot.  I take them out and I get 2 out of the 3 parts I need.  So I spend some time looking around a bit and there's nothing else.  So after another half hour of wandering around the map I end back up at this same spot on the map and finally the 3 small robots re-spawned.  I take them out and get nothing.  So now I'm checking the quest log and running back to the guy that gave the the quest and there's literally nothing else to do.  The guy tells me I need to bring him a "rusty spring" and my quest log says "Rusty Key 0/1".  I'm assuming that's a typo, but whatever.  So after another way too long bit of time finally I save the game, go back to the title screen, reload, the big robot re-spawned and I got my rusty key.  Or maybe it was a spring.

I'm not put off by it by any means but I feel like I'm probably going to be slogging through the RPG bits to get to the good parts.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:01:28 AM by Druzil »
lesion

Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 11:02:00 AM

The plot seems mostly incoherent in a very Japanese way in that I don't care and would rather be beating up robots. It also felt like it ended way too soon which is somewhat addressed by new game+. Kinda sorta.

What really grabbed me was some of the quality of voice acting and character designs. Murderous robots be cute as hell yo.

steam|a grue \[T]/
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 01:06:19 PM

The pacing of the game is really weird. The Prologue feels good but after that you spend most of your time in the early game just running around trying to find items on the ground that you have no idea (yet) if they are important but you presume they are cause otherwise why put them there. Every once in a while you run into some enemies but most of the time you can just shoot them from range so combat is not very exciting unless you risk going into melee range.
lesion

Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 08:01:11 PM

I'm on playthrough #3. There's so much backtracking, so much, but I must play more. My wings have melted and somehow I keep flying closer to the sun. DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

steam|a grue \[T]/
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #17 on: November 10, 2018, 12:35:35 PM

I did not really miss this release, but I got it right away and put it away for "later". That was a year and a half ago and "later" is finally now. So with as much delay let me tell you how good this game is. Yay.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 10, 2018, 02:05:10 PM

I really wanted to like this game, but got bored by the early game stuff Trippy mentioned upthread.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 08:52:49 AM

I finished this, and loved every second. I was ready to complain about how short it is, only to find out that the second run starts off almost as a completely new game. If anything, it's too easy and the story never really picks up because you are supposed to go through more than one playthrough to get all the parts, and even though every new game seems pretty different I am one of those that have a hard time sticking with a game after the end credits roll.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: NieR: Automata  
Jump to: