Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:25:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: CCP for sale? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CCP for sale?  (Read 8983 times)
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

on: December 09, 2016, 07:10:43 PM

There's rumours that the owners of CCP might be looking to sell the company (for close to $1Billion???).  I would think they might be looking for a way to recoup their losses of the past few years because their other games, like Dust 514, have kind of tanked and the revenue stream from EVE is drying up due to declining subscriptions. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-09/eve-online-owners-said-to-weigh-game-maker-sale-after-approaches
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 07:28:29 PM

So basically release Dust and Valkyrie on platforms outside your main universe platform, screw up paid cosmetics and WiS, dump a ton of money into a failed MMO based on a popular universe (WoD) and then wonder why you have a declining user base. Then think about flogging the game off.

FFS - I would have paid for both Dust and Valk if they had been tied to the PC and didn't need VR.

Remind me to unsub the accounts I have training

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 10:09:48 PM

Things not worth value and apparently up for sale:

CCP
America's Future
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 11:19:07 AM

There's no official comment as far as I can tell, but both Reddit and the General Discussion forums have threads with speculation from players.

The announcement wasn't that they're selling, just that there have been "offers" and it's been "evaluated" at possibly its highest euro amount ever.

To be fair, after Hilmar fucked up and kinda disappeared (not sure if he's still in charge), CCP did have a change of pace and they did put some effort into EVE, at least.  Arguably the game is better now than years ago, but even if you don't agree with that assessment, there's evidence that they've put effort into it at least.

I'm not sure whether they're looking to sell or just being spammed with offers.  Either way, this announcement will definitely result in an increase in RMT; everyone who's paranoid will try to cash out their accounts before an official announcement will devalue them.  So watch out for corp theft and shit, IMO.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 06:33:04 PM

I've also heard rumours that CCP, at least in the past, wasn't a very good place to work if you weren't from Iceland.  Sort of an old Bjorn club. awesome, for real  I guess that would mean purposefully limiting the talent pool they would draw from.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 03:02:09 PM by Ginaz »
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 01:24:57 PM

I can't think of a less valuable property to buy. The game only has any value at all due to the 'culture' of its existing, rusted on, player-base. Attempting to make the game remotely fun as a purely game-play driven experience would require a massive degree of re-building which CCP has shown no signs of being able to do and which the existing player base probably doesn't want.

I thought the purchase of SOE was a headscratcher, but paying more than fire-sale prices for CCP makes no sense.

(and yes, still mystified by Dust... wtf was that).

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 11:34:05 PM

If CCP still had White Wolf IPs to bring some variety into their stuff I might understand someone's interest but it being just EVE I don't see much potential (then again Paradox doesn't seem to have done anything with White Wolf yet so what do I know).
DayDream
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 04:52:33 AM

I'd be curious if their server tech still had any value, personally.

I think at one point their servers and setup were genuinely cutting edge stuff?  At least that was the rumor floating around, anyway.  That was several years ago though so things have certainly progressed.

But there may be someone somewhere who at least wants a guideline for reinventing their own wheel?
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 02:26:19 PM

and then wonder why you have a declining user base. Then think about flogging the game off.

Remind me to unsub the accounts I have training

Sounds like a bunch of business suit cunts thought 'VR!' and started seeing $ signs without realising that EVE IS the main attraction.

Also we have had 50,000 on at the same time in previous weeks so this F2P model isn't entirely a failure.
Needs some tweaks certainly.

I think at one point their servers and setup were genuinely cutting edge stuff? 

Still is as they got some new ones at the beginning of this year. Keep up.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 02:28:23 PM by Meester »
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 03:51:53 PM

What they need to do with their F2P model is allow some way for the F2P players to continue slowly training things outside the newb restrictions.

Like this one time unlock now allows you access to missile training or more production or whatever.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 07:56:03 AM

Unlike the undoubted top-tier business analysts posting further up this thread I wouldn't like to try to place a value on CCP, but I am confident that the last thing that an investor at the high-nine-plus digits scale would be looking at would be the value of their cash-cow game per se.  Their VR work is seen outside the ex-player bubble as excellent and that expertise would be worth a lot to someone in the current market; their experience in massively multiplayer server technology is literally unmatched in its field: nobody else is sticking thousands of players in one 3-dimensional environment, all able to interact (albeit barely so above two and a bit thousand); they have a very substantial number of current and past players who represent a very valuable target marketplace for the right products; and they have an established Chinese studio, which is potentially a big deal for a variety of reasons, some more speculative than others.

But I'm sure you guys are right and it would be "fire sale" prices, shaped by the lack of the White Wolf IP of all things and with "a less valuable property to buy" hard to think of.

And Hilmar didn't "fuck up" or "kinda disappear".  He's head of a company of which Eve is not even the most important component for their future.  I chatted with him about his visibility over an utterly revolting prawn cocktail cake that he made, and it was pretty clear why he was focusing on other areas of the business (even if *he* wouldn't have said about Eve what I just did there, to be clear).

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: CCP for sale?  
Jump to: