Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:03:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ghost in the Shell 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ghost in the Shell  (Read 13644 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #35 on: April 05, 2017, 07:15:03 PM

Yeah, those numbers? Those are complete failure even for a late March/early April release.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: April 06, 2017, 11:59:05 AM

That is sad I actually liked the film a good bit. The anime is better but they did a solid job bringing it to the big screen and scarlet did a fine job as the major. I don't get the whole white washing thing her body is a god damn machine the movie even points that she was originally asian descent and even finds and reunites with her mom. One of the whole points of GITS is the what does it mean to have a body thats a machine made by somebody else and your spirit that lives intside of it is all that is left of you.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #37 on: April 10, 2017, 05:12:49 AM

I thought this was nowhere near as bad as the internet makes it sound. But whenever everyone agrees something is good or bad online (not here but the greater online) its usually become hyperbole as people jump on just to be part of the wave.

The best 3d I've seen post-Avatar. Really incredible imax experience, instead of a 2d movie with 3d scenes it was a 3d thing for both good and bad. No doubt I'm primed to cut it more slack than most but there are much worse movies that are given credit for xyz or declared "fun and worth watching" and the like. There was some clumsy attempts at keeping normies comfortable that did nothing for the quality of the film. Reducing the whole thing to  is one of several disservices to the source material. But the simple latch on complaints "she's too white" "Battou looks wrong" "lol LP the music is terribad" "so stupid" none of them registered with me when watching the movie.

So if you can still catch it in 3d imax this week before Fast 18 shows up and makes a bajillion bucks and everyone talks about how its so fun to watch cars attack other cars and shit man and you have any inclination towards the type of visual world is presenting and/or well done 3d I'd highly recommend you check it out.

There is zero comparison at all (probably, no surely, but I did only see it last night so I'm still not sure I've completely decided on how I felt about it) but BladeRunner did fucking awful in theaters. There's a reason there are too many versions of it to count. Its hard to get shit like this made at all.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #38 on: April 10, 2017, 05:40:25 AM

What did you like about it aside from the 3D?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #39 on: April 10, 2017, 08:15:02 AM

Yeah, all I saw in that synopsis was, "Visuals were great."

They were. I don't knock this on the visuals. I don't even knock the "whitewashing" because that's BS and Oshii himself said Johansson was a good pick.

My complaint is dumbing it down, missing the story beats. Not everything has to be a blockbuster formula, this certainly wasn't popular for that formula. Yet there we are. Lame revenge storyline with happy ending as girl reconciles with mom. Trite and bubblegum.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #40 on: April 10, 2017, 08:18:19 AM

I don't know who thought this was a good idea anyway. GITS is an overrated fucking manga and anime. The story is hot garbage and the actual writing is atrocious. It was never going to be a good movie.

A gorgeous movie, sure. A good movie? No. Not a chance. Turning shit into not-shit is not Hollywood's specialty.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #41 on: April 10, 2017, 10:33:54 AM

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 10, 2017, 11:20:03 AM

I love me some anime. I grew up with GiTS and when I was a teenager it was awesome.....when I was a teenager.  GiTS is still good but the anime is the textbook definition of "im14andthisisdeep"

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #43 on: April 10, 2017, 04:14:05 PM

What did you like about it aside from the 3D?

I mean, what did I like about it besides the experience of watching it? I love the setting, cyberpunk is pretty much my jam and it did a good job of presenting that world. I liked lots of individual scenes, . I mean, am I pretty forgiving if a movie is giving me lots of Johansson? Certainly but I like watching her do stuff, double bonus if it looks cool as fuck?

It wasn't actively bad, in that way that bad movies are where I can't not think about the fact that I am sitting there watching this shit and I could probably be doing something else with my time. It didn't have that soul/cohesion/brilliance that turns something from a movie into a film/art I'd never disagree with that. Far from it but that doesn't mean I disliked it. I thought the thing it suffered from most is that it felt too much like a modern sequel setup. Like Saito just comes out of left field sniping bitches bc we're going to need him in part 2.

It should have been more than a good action movie but it wasn't. But it was a good action movie. Frustrating because obviously somebody was trying to do more and then the studio or a lack of imagination on the director's part or w/e shut that down.

Let me try it another way, I'd be excited if I heard there was an extended cut, I bet there is more movie there and I'd like to see it. Plenty of shit where that is not the case.

I love me some anime. I grew up with GiTS and when I was a teenager it was awesome.....when I was a teenager.  GiTS is still good but the anime is the textbook definition of "im14andthisisdeep"

That's probably fair, esp of most of the movies but Stand Alone Complex had some pretty strong story arcs that I would certainly expect to hold up.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: July 07, 2017, 11:05:16 AM

Finally saw this and it made me angry how they used so many shots and scenes straight from the anime and manga but wrote a horrible script to mash it all together. They also managed to totally waste Takeshi Kitano as the only character speaking Japanese and so making his scenes with other actors fall a bit flat (I get it that he was there to woo the Japanese market but still)  Ohhhhh, I see.
schild
Administrator

Reply #45 on: July 23, 2017, 08:09:44 AM

This is one beautiful piece of shit.
schild
Administrator

Reply #46 on: July 23, 2017, 08:16:09 AM

wait wait, i got this

"Aeon Sucks"
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: July 29, 2017, 08:52:19 PM

Aeon wasn't this boring. And Charlize is more attractive.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #48 on: December 10, 2017, 02:26:09 PM

This was awful.  I got more than halfway and turned it off.

edit: I finished it on another night.  It got worse.  Green screen garbage.  Plus the art direction was bad -- none of that city CGI looked good, with all the holograms. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 12:31:45 PM by Soln »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ghost in the Shell  
Jump to: