Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:08:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ghost in the Shell 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ghost in the Shell  (Read 13643 times)
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

on: November 13, 2016, 09:10:21 PM

I thought there was already a thread for this, but I couldn't find it.  Anyway, the first trailer for the live action GitS movie has been released.

https://youtu.be/wUtG93BebJ4

I don't hold high hopes for it, though it seems they at least watched the anime based on how many shots are straight out of the anime.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 10:16:14 PM

Ergh.  That doesn't look like it follows the anime at all, at least in terms of origin.

Maybe the next trailers will be... better?
disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 11:09:29 PM

I had the impression that all the scenes are direct copy/paste from the anime (espescially when she woke up and disconnecting the cables).
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 11:18:26 PM

Better than I expected (I was expecting utter crap and it merely looks like crap). Trailer shows some key divergences from both the anime and movie, which is.. disappointing, to say the least.

Don't mind that they got a non-asian for the role of someone called Motoko Kusanagi (though, it is worthy of an eye-roll), but not thrilled with ScarJo in the role and the direction seems like they're trying to blockbuster it up in all the wrong ways. Even the costume design is cringe-worthy.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 01:06:58 AM

I'm a HUGE GitS-fan and the movie looks ok so far (especially since it has Takeshi Kitano in it). Hopefully they won't dumb down the plot too much or invent unnecessary things like all the hinting of some "mysterious past" in the trailer whereas previously afaik Motoko's backstory (which isn't any kind of a mystery but since they might spin it as such so spoilered):
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 05:26:01 AM

The article I read earlier this month said they are not direct-ripping the GiTS Puppetmaster storyline because the main story about the Newborn AI is too dense. They are focusing on the first part of the original movie and using the "Kuze story" as the focus for this film.

So while they're direct-ripping some scenes from the Anime, it's apparently more based on the storyline "Affection" from Second Gig. They say it's focused on memory and who are you if your memories can be altered at-will.

http://collider.com/ghost-in-the-shell-movie-story-details/

I expect the internet to shit on it enough to suppress turnout then say, "oh this wasn't that bad, why'd it get torn up" 3-4 years later like so many other movies.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 12:37:58 PM

Yeah, the trailer didn't look too horribad, but trying to figure out which storyline they were going with was hard.  It came off as a mishmash of the movies, the manga (the Major was presented more as bi than straight), and the Kuze story from 2nd Gig.  But if they are changing things up, I expect them to screw up her origins as well.  It had impact when you found out her relationship with Kuze.

I have issues with how Batou looked though.  That was not good.  And the one scene where it looked like he had normal eyes made me cringe. 

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 01:38:31 PM

I've seen cosplays of Batu that looked better.

awesome, for real
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 02:19:09 PM

Uh, that looked awful.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 02:55:05 PM

I've seen cosplays of Batu that looked better.

awesome, for real

Watching and pausing so I can compare to an image of Batou from the anime I see the complaints now. The eyepieces are way too small and the lenses are recessed. It was a simple design and they overthought it.

Not a terrible fan of either haircut, but I forsee lots of bitching about him not having the ponytail and sporting the GitS film crewcut.

The scene with him having real eyes was a flashback, which makes sense given the memory narrative of the storyline.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 05:53:34 AM

I've only watched one GITS anime movie that turned out to be completely in a different universe than the others.

So I looked at the trailer pretty fresh, and it looked like a confused mess of SJ in a bewbs skin suit, a lezzing it up scene, and a hodgepodge of confused crap with guys who had stupid looking binoculars on their eyes for some reason, and lots of guns firing in every direction for god knows what reason. I got a distinct Hitman movie feeling, which is not a good thing. All in all I have zero interest in seeing this.

Hic sunt dracones.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 06:23:43 AM

I don't know anything about the source material, and this doesn't make me want to. Robot chick, lotta shooting. Great.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 09:33:39 AM

The anime is well worth watching.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 10:07:06 AM

The GitS anime movie is visually gorgeous but it's sort of flat story and character wise. Monotone dialogue was all the rage in mid 90s 'serious' anime.

The GitS series (Stand Alone Complex) is less visually impressive (still quite nice though) but has a much more enjoyable story and better character development. It's also just more fun while not losing any of the drama or seriousness of the situation.

The newer series, (Arise) is the most recent take on the concept and it's kind of in the middle between SAC and the animated movie in terms of tone and character.

If you've never seen anything GitS, I'd recommend the SAC series out of the three.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 10:23:28 AM

When I say anime, I mean SAC and Second Gig.

I haven't seen Arise.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 16, 2016, 12:02:53 PM

It's all right, there are some decisions I'm not entirely on board with. The visual design of the Major is an obvious one, it's a very different look in Arise compared to say the SAC Major.

Then some story notes are off it feels like, as is some of the feeling of the setting. Doesn't feel as tight as SAC.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 20, 2016, 09:43:46 AM

Ghost in the Shell - Anime vs. Movie Trailer Comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oQsVUkVay4
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 10:21:55 PM

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 15, 2017, 05:55:14 AM

The trailer strongly hints at Motoko's past being somehow a mystery almost á la Total Recall (or Blade Runner replicant not being aware of not being a replicant) which is a really big difference to the manga/anime and seems to be a big part of the movie.
I have to say I'm having some doubts especially considering the (lack of) past scripts by Jonathan Herman/Jamie Moss (and it being just "based on manga" by Masamune Shirow).

Hopefully I'm wrong but...

edit:and not impressed with the director either.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:58:13 AM by satael »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #19 on: February 15, 2017, 07:48:14 AM

I don't see this movie making its money back. Too many sectors wanting to hate it pretty bad.

1) People upset Scarlett was cast
2) People upset it's not a 1:1 remake of the anime (why? these same people bitch about remakes...)
3) People upset it's not a continuation of the anime storyline.

Getting upset the themes of "what is Human" and "what are the crises a hyper-tech future has to deal wtih" aren't met I'm down with. Getting upset that they're modifying the Major's background a bit I don't get. To do so they would have to decide that 2 & 3 were the route they wanted to take. They aren't and I'm ok with that. Which means modifying things a bit.

Not that concerns aren't warranted. The director said previously they're just throwing a bunch of stuff in because it looked cool. That's always a red flag.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #20 on: February 15, 2017, 07:52:06 AM

I've watched I think one of the anime movies so have no real attachment to the existing story/brand. I'm perfectly fine with what I'm seeing in the trailers.

Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 15, 2017, 10:16:07 AM

I'm a big fan of the anime (and even the manga -- and I can count the number of manga I've read on one hand), and my problems with this movie are fairly simple;

1 - Scarlett as the Major; not so-much the 'white' aspect (although I would have preferred someone vaguely Asian-looking at least), but the fact I just, basically, saw her in a movie like this and it wasn't that good. I'm also not a huge fan of her as an actress.
2 - Changing the beginning of her background (the how and why she went cyborg) as it creates a fairly big change in her character motivations from the source material. I'm far less concerned with any other changes.
3 - Changing the theme from the definition of human/alive and the ramifications of technology and ever changing ideas of 'self' into 'popcorn action movie where character has memory loss, with tangential nods to the source materials deeper questions' as the trailers allude to.
4 - Not a fan of a number of the people working on the project (writer, director, etc.)

I'm betting the movie will suck. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it. But hey, in a world where the Transformers movies are one of the biggest franchises.. who the fuck knows and giving me the GitS movie I want probably doesn't draw in enough people in North America to make it worthwhile to make monetarily.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 15, 2017, 12:19:04 PM

My biggest gripe with the trailer, as someone who has no knowledge of this IP, is that I hate her hair. Looks idiotic.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #23 on: February 15, 2017, 12:22:49 PM

My biggest gripe with the trailer, as someone who has no knowledge of this IP, is that I hate her hair. Looks idiotic.

Didn't even notice the hair due to that body suit. And I don't even like her.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 02:25:42 PM

Her hair is fairly representative of the anime character.

Her history has never been set in stone, it differs from movies, to manga, to even the anime series 1 & 2 (although that's more an age difference, cyberized at 9 or 6 respectively.)

It doesn't look awful, at least so far.  I'll keep hoping it's decent.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #25 on: March 31, 2017, 03:59:29 PM

I saw this today. It felt very long, very slow, and very soulless. Scarlett can act, but doesn't in this film. Wooden delivery, and her body is cgi in most scenes. The film is pretty, and has some bits/callouts/fanservice from the original. One of the people I went with hadn't seen the anime, and was confused as to what was going on.

One to Redbox at most.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #26 on: March 31, 2017, 07:04:59 PM

Meh, I've got moviepass so it's already paid for. I can only lose my time. Guess I'll see it tomorrow. It's that or CHIPs.

Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 03, 2017, 02:46:20 PM

So, this got destroyed over the weekend, losing to both the second week of 'Beauty and the Beast' AND 'Boss Baby' (Alec Baldwin providing the voice for an animated baby).

I guess my dream of a live action, tripple-A version of 'Appleseed' just got pushed back 15 years.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #28 on: April 03, 2017, 06:49:34 PM

Saw it since I had time to kill in Vegas. Man, it's just so disappointing.

The visuals were clearly the only thing the writer/ director/ producer ever understood about GiTS. The movie is exactly the mish-mosh I feared after the article I linked where the director talked about "getting all the cool scenes in."  It never goes deeper than surface level on ANYTHING, including the story they made for the Major's background.  This is a mish-mosh of Kuze/ Individual 11, the GiTS movie, and the Laughing Man storylines/ plot beats/ visual elements.

It works about as well as taking iconic scenes from three Trek series and mashing them together. (Oh wait, that's NuTrek and some folks like it...)

So many subtextural GiTS elements just thrown out as one-liners and forgotten. "Who's to say what memory/ real is,"  "what does it mean to be human," "what is sacrifice to a virtual immortal," "what's the destiny of mankind as we begin to enhance ourselves?"  Noneo f them gone into any depth. It's like a 12 year olds understanding of theme.

Then there's some of the acting choices. Someone thought The Major and Bato should strut to make them look tough. Probably because Bato's actor is about 6" and 120# too small for the role. It doesn't work and looks ridiculous when they're walking around. I wanted to laugh every time I saw Bato with his damn upturned collar and Streetfighter Guile haircut strutting around. Scarjo just looked lilke she had an uncomfortable wedgie. We know she can do a badass walk, she does it fairy well as Black Widow, but it's not seen here.

There's something good at the base of this, but none of it made it into this film. I probably won't even watch it on TV it was so disappointing.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 03, 2017, 10:43:18 PM

Hopefully, if it ever happens, James Cameron will finally put Battle Angel Alita on the big screen and we will finally get to see an Anime / Manga adaption done right. Cameron is probably the only person who has the industry clout to do it. But I am not going to hold my breath.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 04, 2017, 11:45:17 AM

The visuals were clearly the only thing the writer/ director/ producer ever understood about GiTS. The movie is exactly the mish-mosh I feared after the article I linked where the director talked about "getting all the cool scenes in."  It never goes deeper than surface level on ANYTHING, including the story they made for the Major's background.  This is a mish-mosh of Kuze/ Individual 11, the GiTS movie, and the Laughing Man storylines/ plot beats/ visual elements.

Yes.

It was alright, I don't regret the paying the ticket price. Visuals were nice -- it seemed like a cool meld of *Blade Runner* with original *Ghost in the Shell*.

But the problem with this movie is that it tried to do too many things and did none of them, except for the visuals, well. It tried to be explanatory about "ghost" and consciousness and hold hands of those not familiar with the GitS tropes; it tried to pay homage to fans of the original manga/movie, and on top of it all ham-handedly affixed a "superhero origins" plot to it.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #31 on: April 04, 2017, 08:14:49 PM

Yeah I forgot to mention how hamfistedly they handled explaining the movie title. If you take a shot every time they say "Your GHOST..." then explain they mean the human soul/ psyche and follow-it-up with "you aren't your shell, this body." you'll be quite buzzed.

Just so bad.

So much opportunity missed. The dichotomy of the backstory they made-up could be a movie arc in itself. A refugee stolen from her hovel where she's writing Bundy-esque manifestos about technology suddenly becoming the pinnacle of her rants? That's just rife with possibilities and it's wasted. It doesn't even generate a moment of angst or anxiety. It's just thrown out there and resolves as some lame "I'm still your daughter" moment.

disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 05, 2017, 12:25:45 AM

The music. This film didn't have music at all. Some jingles here and there made me think I'm watching some DeusEx cinematics.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 05, 2017, 03:49:41 PM

The normals like this movie so mission accomplished.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #34 on: April 05, 2017, 06:28:04 PM

The normals like this movie so mission accomplished.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Except they don't. It's cratering almost as hard as John Carter at the box office.  $63 million rake domestic AND international so far and a weak appearance at #3 its premier weekend.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=ghostintheshell2017.htm

Unless there's an unheard of surge, it somehow becomes a sleeper, or Japan pushes it past all other movies this thing's dead.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ghost in the Shell  
Jump to: