Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:59:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Hacksaw Ridge 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hacksaw Ridge  (Read 859 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

on: November 07, 2016, 11:22:02 AM

Well worth watching. I can see why Gibson is being allowed back into Hollywood circles after this movie, despite still being the shitty human he is.

For those who don't know, it's the story of Desmond Doss, the US's first contentious objector to win a Medal of Honor, done during the battle of the Pacific and Okinawa in WWII. Knowing how fucking hard it was to get a MoH in WWII, imagine what it takes to do it as a man who'll never touch a rifle. Now take all that and know that unlike most MOH awardees he lived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_Doss

The movie actually underplay's Doss' contributions at Okinawa by focusing only on the 75 men he saved. It says nothing about the following days and vastly underplays the wounds that finally took him out of action. It's one of those "Valkyrie" moments where you know that Gibson and staff said, "There's no way anyone would believe this actually happened, we're going to have to scale it back."

It's still beautifully shot and very poignant. I'll admit I teared up several times because Garfield was fucking amazing portraying Doss' convictions. Some fantastic performances by Hugo Weaving as Doss' father as well.

You will not regret seeing this flick. Just be prepared for "Saving Private Ryan" levels of battle portrayal. They do very well with not pulling punches about how combat actually works.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 12:00:47 PM

Some fantastic performances by Hugo Weaving as Doss' father as well.

Whatever you think of whatever movie he's in, I have never been disappointed by this dudes acting. He is spectacular at nailing roles.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Hacksaw Ridge  
Jump to: