Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:55:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Armed Autistic Affleck (The Accountant) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Armed Autistic Affleck (The Accountant)  (Read 3529 times)
WayAbvPar

on: October 18, 2016, 11:47:35 AM

Saw this yesterday during my break between classes. I was shocked by how much I enjoyed it. I was pleasantly surprised by how autism and similar disorders were treated- they took enough time to teach/explain the basics instead of just using it as a plot device. Affleck was good, and there were some very satisfying scenes. I found myself laughing out loud at the utterly efficient and ruthless way Affleck's character solved things, but it wasn't played up for laughs or effect- just there to be absorbed by the viewer. I really hope there is a director's cut down the road; there were definitely some jumps in continuity and/or some missing back story that would have been well served by another 30 minutes or so in run time. Or maybe just a trimming of the myriad plot points to better focus the narrative, I guess. I enjoyed it enough that I wanted the former rather than the latter. Others might be more annoyed by the dangling questions and somewhat disjointed flow.

Going to check RT after this post to see how my feelings fit in with the rabble and critics...predicting a 78% rating.

Wow. Critics don't like it much, but audiences are with me (49%/87%). Looking at some of the reviews, I guess I can see some of the points, but I think a lot of them went in wanting to hate it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 07:38:02 AM

This has looked good from the first trailer. Critics love to hate Affleck so no surprise  on their reviews. They hated John Wick too and have revised after the fact.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 09:00:00 AM

Intend to check this out, but didn't Argo get exceptionally high critical response.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 04:57:08 PM

Ben didn't direct The Accountant.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 05:56:40 PM

Read a review of this in Time magazine, and it made me want to see this movie. That hasn't happened in a while.

Hic sunt dracones.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 01:24:07 AM

Ben didn't direct The Accountant.

Nobody said he did.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 05:56:40 AM

Then I have no idea why you mentioned it.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 06:21:53 AM

Because Ben directed Argo, which was mentioned earlier?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 08:01:53 AM

Which critics liked.

They liked Gone Girl too (which I found really awful).

So I'm not sure "Critics hate Affleck" is holding up as a theory. I think "critics didn't want to like this one" is probably right, but Affleck isn't necessarily the dependent variable here.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 08:15:37 AM

Then I have no idea why you mentioned it.

Because he directed, starred and produced it and it got some of that critical acclaim. Not that hard to figure out really.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 08:22:10 AM

Head scratch
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 12:11:23 PM

I suggest using more nouns, then we can understand what 'it' is.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 01:43:06 PM

I will see it this weekend. It's what I do on business trips.

I have never played WoW.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 09:17:00 PM

This was fantastic. Sure, I could quibble over some pacing, flow, and 'surprise' issues but why. It's not a perfect movie but was fun, held together well, and really well-shot. I also have a soft spot for stories that don't treat differently-enabled people as freaks. Even better if they're the star and portray it well and Affleck had this character nailed-down.

The whole theater laughed at so many parts, not because it was played for laughs but just how incongruous it was. The whole movie is Dogs Playing Poker.

dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 03:56:23 PM

I see what you did there.  awesome, for real

Anyway, this was a perfectly satisfying Saturday afternoon movie.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 06:28:30 PM

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 11:24:30 AM

Anna Kendrick's presence in this movie was the most incongruous. Overall, I did enjoy it but I was surprised I did. I only chose it because while travelling for work I see movies I know my wife has no interest in.

I have never played WoW.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Armed Autistic Affleck (The Accountant)  
Jump to: