Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:54:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Marvel's Iron Fist 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel's Iron Fist  (Read 50558 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: October 20, 2018, 05:03:31 PM

If I were Marvel, I'd worry that the lack of cohesiveness in the TV side is brand-damaging; it's pretty clear that people who aren't comics-nerds enjoy the interoperability of the universe.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #176 on: October 20, 2018, 06:09:23 PM

Legion and Gifted were both Fox properties, so I don't know how much input the Disney people had or have on it currently. Don't forget that Marvel also had an Agents of SHIELD spinoff planned that never made it to pilot stage despite being talked about enough that the two stars of it were moved off the show mid-season to prepare. Marvel's TV properties have been way more uneven than the movie properties, both in critical terms and in commercial success. It wouldn't surprise me if someone at Disney has finally told Perlmutter to wind his shit down.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #177 on: October 20, 2018, 10:31:28 PM

Realistically, I think Marvel TV's involvement in the X-men shows is having Loeb and one of the other Marvel TV guys listed as two of the 7 or 8 executive producers on the show but I figured I'd at least mention it.

Also I think it's telling that the premier of Agents of Shield back in 2013 had 17.01 million viewers (Live + DVR) on ABC, Cloak & Dagger launched with 1.75 million viewers (live + DVR) on Freeform. That's a pretty big drop-off when you're ostensibly supposed to be part of the same brand as the two highest grossing movies of 2018 so far. It's also a good indication of where the ceiling was and where the floor currently is.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: October 21, 2018, 10:22:59 AM

I think yeah, the TV shows are the last surviving by-product of the era of internal corporate division within Marvel, and the movie people have been happy to see the TV shows founder and be relatively isolated from the MCU. Which is really too bad--the Netflix shows feel to me completely as if they might sit perfectly well within the cinematic universe and be a nice little footnote or Easter egg that can be referenced from time to time.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: October 21, 2018, 10:49:52 AM

Realistically, I think Marvel TV's involvement in the X-men shows is having Loeb and one of the other Marvel TV guys listed as two of the 7 or 8 executive producers on the show but I figured I'd at least mention it.

Also I think it's telling that the premier of Agents of Shield back in 2013 had 17.01 million viewers (Live + DVR) on ABC, Cloak & Dagger launched with 1.75 million viewers (live + DVR) on Freeform. That's a pretty big drop-off when you're ostensibly supposed to be part of the same brand as the two highest grossing movies of 2018 so far. It's also a good indication of where the ceiling was and where the floor currently is.
Agents of Shield is probably the closest of the TV shows to the MCU though; Cloak & Dagger is some shit no one has ever heard of.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #180 on: October 21, 2018, 11:13:03 AM

Guardians of the Galaxy was also some shit nobody had heard of but when you've got a great track record and a clear long-term plan people are more willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: October 21, 2018, 03:29:51 PM

Comparing a summer blockbuster movie to a TV show on ABC's second-tier network is really apples to oranges though. Also, I know I'm not the only one who skipped the first GotG in theaters precisely because I'd never heard of them; it got great word of mouth so I checked it out eventually. Cloak and Dagger hasn't had that benefit; the thread here is only a single page and a lot of that is "This is going to be a thing" with only a few mixed-feelings posts about the actual quality.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #182 on: October 21, 2018, 08:09:42 PM

I don't really think it's apples to oranges saying that Marvel has proven they can make obscure characters successful. If anything it's more impressive that they were able to do it with a Summer blockbuster. That's a much bigger gamble.

And that you skipped over GotG at first despite the excellent trailers they released because you weren't familiar with the characters is baffling.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: October 23, 2018, 04:36:15 PM

Agents of Shield is probably the closest of the TV shows to the MCU though; Cloak & Dagger is some shit no one has ever heard of.
And interestingly C&D has done the best job of subtle organic ties across the spectrum with references to the Movies, MAoS, Agent Carter, and Luke Cage that fit in the story and open a door for crossovers.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: October 27, 2018, 06:56:25 AM

cloak and dagger was also shit.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: October 29, 2018, 04:04:06 PM

It was far from the worst of the Marvel shows, but it was one aimed at the Freeform audience - teens.  If you accept it, it was better than some of the Netflix seasons.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: October 30, 2018, 05:43:01 AM

It was far from the worst of the Marvel shows, but it was one aimed at the Freeform audience - teens.  If you accept it, it was better than some of the Netflix seasons.

Iron fist is the weakest netflix show and i'd rather watch that on loop than give cloak and dagger any more of the time it already wasted.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: October 30, 2018, 09:56:34 PM

Goodie for you.  I'll watch season 2 of C&D, enjoy it for what it is, cringe a few times, but probably enjoy it.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Marvel's Iron Fist  
Jump to: