Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:06:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Fuck Comcast unto death. Help me cut the cord! (Streaming TV options) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fuck Comcast unto death. Help me cut the cord! (Streaming TV options)  (Read 81626 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #175 on: January 31, 2020, 07:10:27 AM

Another point in favor of tivo > roku: the tivo remote is more programmable. Can't set up the roku remote to control volume (because it's through a receiver and roku's remote can only control the tv). Tivo's remote also controls more of the tv itself. Though for usability, the roku does edge out the bizarre layout of the more functional tivo remote.

Fiancee is stoked about having another remote. And not being a tech person, she has decided to just ignore all of it. Can't really blame her, it's a nightmare for a typical user to sort out. I have 6 remotes now, and need all of them. One remote I have just to power on my receiver (to be fair, that's on me because my 20-year-old receiver remote is half-dead...I use it for switching source on the receiver...).

Things would be a lot different if we weren't fans of DVRs. We split our watching time about 50/50 DVR/live browsing. We don't stream as a couple, I'm the only one who streams infrequently.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 07:12:04 AM by Sky »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #176 on: February 01, 2020, 09:31:56 AM

The remote issue is one of the reasons I've made a conscious decision to only buy TVs with the Roku built in. It makes life so much easier. The TCL 50" I got for Christmas had that and it's one of the best "value" 4k TV's you can get, IMO.

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: February 01, 2020, 03:15:30 PM

One of my sons wanted the 55" TCL with Roku for Christmas.  He loves it.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: February 02, 2020, 06:34:42 AM

I've been using Nvidia shield for 3 years. Best device on the market!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: February 03, 2020, 06:40:21 AM

FYI Shield won't run the Spetrum TV app (and for my purposes it's cumbersome to use as a DVR - I don't want any non-consumer-level solutions...last thing I want to do after work is troubleshoot software!).

The Roku already earned it's place when the SDV channels cut out over the weekend. We used the Tivo for DVR stuff and the Roku for watching live tv. Cable is such a mess right now, and I'm pretty sure tivo is going to tank soon, so we're enjoying the ride before everyone walled-gardens themselves to death.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #180 on: February 06, 2020, 08:54:33 AM

Tivo looks great but doesn't work with Uverse.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: February 06, 2020, 10:36:46 AM

I just switched to YoutubeTV and have no complaints.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #182 on: February 07, 2020, 11:03:57 AM

Our subscriptions seem to be only additive. PS Vue dropped us, otherwise we tend to hang onto everything for the chance to see seemingly random shows.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: February 07, 2020, 04:25:45 PM

I moved from PS Vue to Hulu Live (already had normal Hulu w/o ads).

Good:
* The 'TV Guide' for live TV is pretty good
* Everything's integrated into the normal Hulu app; there isn't another app you need to install
* Seeing what shows are available for a given station is pretty nice
* You can select your favorite sports teams and channels during setup
* Haven't noticed any buffering when the video's playing
* If you buy HBO through Hulu you get access to HBO Now and the 8-ish different HBO live channels that you get through normal cable (PS Vue only had 2 live channels)

Bad:
* Resolution on Live TV drops to low res enough to be really annoying
* Twice now I haven't been able to access any LiveTV channels for about 30 minutes. It just shows a black screen. Streamed content all worked fine.
* Hulu app makes it difficult to tell if a show is streaming vs live
* It auto-records whatever sports teams you marked as favorites whenever there's a game, chewing up your available DVR space

Might switch to YoutubeTV in a few months if the problems don't clear up.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #184 on: February 11, 2020, 01:23:27 PM

The app can be a little shitty at times. I've had problems switching between sports events where one events runs over and the app seemingly doesn't know what the fuck to do so it just crashes. I've also had random exits at times. Superbowl feed was a little delayed. I could tell what was going to happen by the bar reacting before it was shown on my TV.

I think I'll see I can get a ethernet cable to where the TV is. Hopefully it's just as easy as patching together a couple wires in the junction box. I'm guessing the labeling isn't going to be terribly helpful.  undecided

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: February 12, 2020, 05:27:35 AM

Well, that's because "apps" suck and are coded by delusional babies.

We run the NFL gamepass through the NFL app on the PS4 and it reliably crashes every week, 2 seasons running. We just expect apps to not work well, like everything else.

A couple of weeks with the Roku, it still stays firmly in backup capacity, though it has become a nice failsafe for when the SDV channels cut out (which is pretty common). The lack of DVR (for recording and almost as important, buffering) + another remote are the main complaints from the old lady. I still watch most of my stuff on the PS4. I guess I'm a candidate for how MS wants the Xbox to be used?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Fuck Comcast unto death. Help me cut the cord! (Streaming TV options)  
Jump to: